1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

At least around here most professional landlords work from a very simple calculation cost of owner ship a year + 3-10% = rent, with a yearly increase of 2%.

Commercial units are 20-30% profit, so they cover potential vacancies.

2. msg

msg Senior member

Well, I don't begrudge their right to make money. I just cringe at their claims to care about neighborhood diversity. I also worry about what's happening in the major cities and how you have to make $100k just to live. I don't have an alternative, so I'll shut the fuck up, but as a parent I don't want to push my kids to STEM just so they can live without worrying paycheck to paycheck. World needs poets, teachers, baristas, and every other profession that isn't a guaranteed large paycheck. Only going to get more competitive

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  3. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Automate all the jobs, let people spend their free time however they like.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I think there should be some protections -- like you can't kick senior citizens out without some kind of big payoff or something. I realize this might then discourage landlords from renting to senior citizens, but I don't know. It's been heartbreaking to see so many Bay Area senior citizens being forced to move out of homes they've been renting for 30+ years, just because some 25 year old Google employee wants to live in a hip and gentrifying area.

Anyway, I don't know what the right policy is, but I don't think things such as housing should be considered a plain economics issue.

5. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

The biggest problem in neighborhoods where people have astonishingly less money or opportunities to make money than the members of this forum who readily drop five times the rent of an average person on a pair of pre-torn pants (because Japan because raw is so passé) is clearly those profiteering tenants, amirite?

https://m.facebook.com/edgywhitelibberal?refsrc=https://www.facebook.com/edgywhitelibberal

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

A gigantic straw man I will not swing at. The specific cases we talked were clearly predatory on the tenant side.

Policy is a exercise in balancing rights and obligations. We need to protect the rights of the less powerful, but as a society, we also need intelligent legislation that will not cripple neither the economy nor social programs, which require revenue.

California has a porous history of shitty legislation passed by referendum that has purported to do one thing, and mostly ended up screwing public programs and benefiting the rich, BTW.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Your comments on Vox and housing lately make me think you really hate old people.

(this is a joke, please don't ban me)

8. LA Guy

I'm sure you already know that this is actually a real thing people have been talking about for a while now. The problem is that the new leisure class would be the underclass, and the people working their asses off would be the overclass, and the entire system would be premised on the possibility that manual labor would be essentially unnecessary in the first world. An interesting futurist scenario that I don't think will ever come to pass, but it's interesting.

9. LA Guy

I agree that I don't want to push my kids to STEM or finance or medicine or whatever (I have four, so it's a real concern.) On the flip side, I don't feel that anyone has a particular right to live in any specific area. The median house price in the USA is $250K oe so, which means that there is plenty of affordable housing our there. If you are a teacher and live in the Bay Area, there are plenty of places out in the East Bay.

It's unrealistic to insist that you can choose a low paying career, but still have an awesome standard of living in some of the most expensive places to live in the world. You want to be a poet? Maybe Wallace, ID, is the place for you. fwiw, I know people who live in pretty nice houses in small town Idaho who you couldn't pay to live in San Francisco, or New York (particularly not Manhattan.)

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Move to Tokyo, rent is cheap and being paid an average U.S. salary makes you feel like a baller in a sea of highly skilled tech workers making $30,000/year for 80-hour weeks

11. msg

msg Senior member

100 years away, at least. When you're doing undergraduate CS, neural networks sounds awesome until you take the class and realize it's just a cool name for a really shitty statistical system.

The idea you describe has gotten some traction recently, people writing about a post industrial society, but it's not going to happen for a long time, if ever. It's also a very Western biased perspective.

I'm having knee surgery on Friday, gonna be a while before robots replace the medical team. Although if the doc shows up wearing GATs, I might opt for the robot.

12. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

Reading that reminds me of something someone once said--now where was it? Oh, here it is!
    Oh, and this...

13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

...but by the same token if a city is too expensive for people who work vital jobs (paramedics, teachers, garbage collectors, waiters, etc) to reasonably live in (and not commute 1+ hours to get to work) then there's a huge problem, IMO.

I agree that location is often something that no one has a right to, but if a place pushes people out, or cripples them, for doing pretty essential work then there's a real issue.

To some extent that's happening in the city I live in now - but there isn't something like the Silicon Valley and massive salaries right around the corner, so I have no idea where the money is coming from.

14. habitant

habitant Senior member

Overseas investors are snapping up real estate in thriving cities.

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'm in Berkeley this week and had Cheese Board Pizza today! That said, these days I more typically split my time between island living in the Pacific Northwest and a little enclave a bit north of San Diego. Good to hear from you.