Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

Daryl Morey (GM of the Houston Rockets) is also fairly well known for using advanced statistics to aid his decisions about roster moves/players.

2. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

I'm sure we've all been lowballed on Grailed, but I just need a quick vent session -
    I'm selling an item for $115. Dude offers $65. Hey, nothing I'm not used to. So we start playing the counter-offer game because I'm feeling generous. After some negotiation/raise in the price, he finally offers $60, BELOW his original offer. WTF are some people thinking? I am less insulted, more baffled at how some people's thought process works.

3. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

I just don't even let people offer. I just set a firm price.

4. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

^ doesn't stop them from messaging you "$15 shipped to Alaska paypal ready this is my final offer" though it doesn't bother me that much, if anyone tries to pull a lowball I just tell them to fuck off, cuts to the chase.

@CityHunter some dude tried to trade his cotton Soloist CPO for my wool one, kicker is he asked me for more money on top as well. "Hey man lemme trade you my iPhone 4 for your iPhone 6 plus $100, my asking price is double yours so it's clearly a good deal for you!" Legitimately couldn't tell if he was stupid or just thought I was stupid.

5. APK

APK Senior member

Actually, this is one way that eBay hasn't figured out how to guarantee payment from buyer. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that many fixed price (buy it now) listings will remain available until the buyer actually pays for it. This isn't the case with the auction format or listings with the Best Offer option.

As for buyer reputation on eBay; it's a joke. Sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedback, and it takes a TON of deviant behavior to get your buyer privileges restricted or taken away.

I had a guy a few weeks ago trying to shake me down for a partial refund because I shipped the item one day later than my stated shipping time. After looking at the feedback he's left, it's clear that this guy finds SOMETHING to use against every seller so that he can use feedback extortion to get partial refunds. I ignored him and he eventually got explicit saying that if I didn't put money into his account, he would leave me negative feedback.

Now maybe if he had said that he would crush me, I would've done something. But I ignored it, waited for my negative, and called eBay when I got it. They promptly removed it, but he remains an active buyer despite a very clear pattern of feedback extortion.

6. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior member

I mean to be fair though, 99% of the stuff on grailed at any given time is either shit no one would want, or is way overpriced for a used clothing item (seller: "I bought it new for $$$ and its only been worn 3 times so I'll knock it down 25%", when it can be caught at sale for half of what they are asking). Anything good is gone within a day.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Just to address a few of your points:
    The key is to hire a good data scientist (which will cost you quite a bit).
    I think that data science is extremely powerful, but there are some questions that anyone should ask before even thinking of applying data science to any given question.
    1) Is this a decision that requires a powerful tool? More often then not, you stop here.
    2) Is your question well defined enough to approach using data science?
    3) Is the question complicated enough to require the use of data science?
    4) How open are you to using the results of the analysis as the basis of your decision making (i.e. how much do you trust in (2) and think back to (1)
    5) Do you have the analytical resources to use the results properly?
    6) Is this the best use of a fair chunk of change?
    and then the 7th question, which should be asked of a good data scientist:
    7) Is there sufficient data to make this worthwhile.

For banking, insurance, or logistical for a big ass company, the answers to these questions are pretty clear cut. For something like public policy making and creative endeavors, not so much.

Re. experts vs data - I feel that you are just setting up a false dichotomy.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  8. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

My friend's landlord is trying to kick him out, but she not willing to pay him enough to leave.

"Seventy five thousand or no deal" "Fifty thousand" *Hangs up on her*

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

My business partner tried to buy an apartment recently with a tenant in it. The tenant wanted $250k to leave, the apartment was only worth 800k.

10. LA Guy

What crazy rights does a tenant have to stay in a place after it's been sold? That's fucking ridiculous. I always just assumed that if a landlord sold his place, it's fucking too bad for the tenant (a good reason to own) after their 12 month lease expires.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Boggles the mind. Most places in the bay area won't even let you sign leases longer than 12 months since they want to hike rates up as often as possible.

12. LA Guy

New business idea. Going to rent an apartment in a gentrifying area. Blackmail the shit out of the landlord when she wants to sell.

13. msg

msg Senior member

Ha. Our landlords are kicking us out and raising the rent from $3500 to $4200 for a 3 bedroom. The crazy thing is that they'll get it, although I would take enormous delight if they don't. We bought a house instead;, at these interest rates our mortgage payments for an equivalent house are less than what they're asking in rent.

14. LA Guy

Well, yeah. How do you think they make money?

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The lease was made in 1965 and the rental agreement stated the it couldn't terminated from the landlords side.

We went so far to look at evicting him for being a hoarder, which he is. Even that was impossible due to the tenant positive legislation. We have limits on price pr sq.ft. P.a. On older buildings etc., so if you don't know your stuff you can get screwed over by the tenant, which some of them speculate in.