1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Depends on what you are looking for in the shirt - tone, weight, drape, etc..., and of course, on the specific poplin and twill.

2. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

Vita that is hilarious.

My problem on that site has been people who make offers that I accept, then they don't follow through with payment. It has happened with virtually every item I listed there, if I recall correctly. Eventually it all sells, but what an odd user group they have.

3. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Distinguished Member

Don't even respond to grailed buyers with no feedback. High risk plus they're always lowballers plus they usually bail. Best to just put up a price and sit tight until someone who looks reputable (with feedback) offers to buy it at asking price.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

Insert phrase here that will get people riled up.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

needs to be thick enough so that i don't need to wear an undershirt for some rather personal reasons hahahah that's pretty much my only criteria hahahha

but since a hidden placket is very minimalist by nature, i guess i don't want it to be super dense and heavy or else the balance will probably be off?

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

That's one thing that I think eBay has figured out quite well. If the buyer makes an offer, he/she is committing to a purchase if the offer is accepted by the seller. So as soon as the offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer is directed to pay for the item or risks damaging their eBay reputation (which granted is not as important for Buyers as it is for Sellers).

7. LA Guy

In that case, I would go with the twill, all other things being equal. At the same weight, twill has much more texture, and the ridges catch light in a way that is less lightly to show your third nipple.

You can have a very minimalist heavier weight shirt. The art is in the design, and the cut, not so much in the weight of the fabric, as long as you don't really screw it up, a la "menswear" on Project Runway (which generally underscores how difficult and precise tailoring is.) Some of the older Margiela stuff is very highly textured, as was Helmut Lang, partcularly before Helmut Lang moved to NYC for the first time. The early Dior Homme collections had shirts that were often quite heavy for shirting material.

8. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Wish there was a feature on grailed that listed the number of times an item sold on accepted offer but buyer didn't pay would be good indicator on how many offers you have to accept to get an item. I think record for me was a pair of sneakers I sold 8-9 times on grailed, 3 times on eBay to non paying buyers and once on SF where they said they would pay in a minute and was never heard from again

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i just gotta make sure that it's never too cold or that i never get turned on, or else someone is going to wonder why there are three bumps on my chest :foo:

10. LA Guy

For that type of security, Ebay is by far the best system. Of course, the fees, for sellers are quite high, relatively. That said, as a buyer, I trust eBay more than any other peer-to-peer marketplace, if only because you don't have people doing things like asking for personal payments, which leave you, the buyer, with no protections. Of course, keep in mind that the Styleforum B&S is essentially just a classified listings system, and Grailed is an amateur marketplace without any real protections or oversight other than what Paypal itself offers. There are professional marketplaces for niche items out there, and they run very differently from Grailed.

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

Thanks!

12. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior Member

Big data analytics are almost always meant to be a decision support system, not an automated decision maker. The type of data scientist LA Guy described as working with seem like not real data scientists... that said in this day and age, data scientists with engineering degrees are typically much better off than just data scientists, as they can better work with engineers to push new methodology into production (if not do so themselves). Also, in many academic programs, certain problems (textual analysis and classification problems) are actually much better covered in computer science/machine learning/engineering classes than in statistics courses, etc.

The idea of expert opinion vs data is not a new idea... in fact it is the center of one of the fundemental statistical concepts called the 'bias variance trade-off', and has created a riff in the statistics community between bayesian statisticians and frequentist statisticians (the latter being what is typically taught in school). Not to get into it, but the reason data science is so big now is the power of computing. I'd go so far as to say that statistics is dying; it was really just a way to approximate things and simplify calculations. Modern data science is much more machine-learning focused, and we don't have to make assumptions about statistical distributions, etc.

But anyways, any good data scientist knows solid methodology (data scientists build and validate methodology, data analysts analyze data) starts with domain knowledge and leads to a trade off analysis (where the 2 big ones [outside of budget/schedule/logistics] are the bias-variance trade off, and the trade off between interpretability and predictive accuracy). Understanding these systems of trade-offs and thoroughly analyzing them for the problem at hand is how you decide which analysis to use... because for any given problem, I could literally come up with several ways to analyze it, but the client's needs is gonna determine which to go with. Well, that and validation/crossvalidation of results from proposed methodologies.

In short, I am in the camp of "In God we trust, all others brings data." It's amazing how many false assumptions 'experts' make, especially old-school executives and academic-focused 'experts'. The key is to hire a good data scientist (which will cost you quite a bit).

Sorry didn't mean to write a novel.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

See advanced stats and the NBA (or sports in general, but MLB and NBA especially) for another interesting case study.

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I was at a conference a couple of years ago and they had the Moneyball guy talk about a data-driven approach to staffing a baseball team. It was pretty cool. Haven't seen the movie or read the book, though.

Not data-related, that feeling when you wanna order something from Yerx but you don't trust UPS enough to actually deliver it instead of just leaving it on your doorstep to be stolen. :confused: Recently lost out on a Hill-Side scarf that way; still waiting for UPS to cop to their mistake.