1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

Frank Clegg still seems like an all around good everyday, every outfit kind of bag :bounce2:

Not in a hurry but glad to see so many options are available.

I see a melding of Frank & Kaufmann.

Part of me is considering cost, so, maybe a leather and canvas tote. However, why the hell not an all leather tote?! Sort of wish the Clegg totes had some metal leg, my bags are always on the floor.

edit:

This is really great engineering though, https://www.kaufmann-mercantile.com/products/leather-and-english-brass-convertible-tote-brown

[​IMG]

Will consider sending Sara an email.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a tux-shirt. You're wearing a Formosa tux, which is much closer to "formal" than "designer" so don't get too carried away with the shirt design. Just make sure to wear a real bow-tie. Having it untied and hanging around your neck after your sixth drink and sweating up a storm on the dancefloor is always a good luck.

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Distinguished Member

"Don't get too carried away with the shirt design" makes it sound like he's planning to get some weird rig customized with rhinestones and zippers.

Since "designer" in this context practically means "not traditional," and since he is only talking about the design of his shirt in the sense of trying to find something appropriate to match the traditional tuxedo and accessories he's already got ready, I think he is worrying to the correct degree about his shirt and that he would benefit from finishing the outfit properly with a shirt worthy of the rest of it (regardless of whether the label says Margiela or Rubinacci).

i.e.:

FWIW / RFT, I was at a wedding in June where the groom wore a Margiela tux and Margiela wing-collar shirt, with no tie, and looked great.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My rigs are all designer - Costume National, which nearly always fits me out of the box except for the arms, which are made to accommodate an actual Orangutan, and Valentino (much more elegant, and sorta neo-classical), so it's not like I have anything against non-traditional tuxes. By "full rig", I just meant the entire classical tuxedo, including the shirt with studs. I've just heard it referred to this way a lot, and I like the sound of it: "Full Rig".

The Margiela shirt sounds fine, but with the closed placket, it's definitely in that streamlined, modern minimal vein. That sounds like what you did. But it's not as opulent as somelthing like the Formosa, with the wider lapels, the handiwork, etc... The Margiela shirt would probably work, as long as it fit well at the collar, but it seems that if he wants to go all out, why not just go all out, and get a very traditional tuxedo shirt (which, incidentally, would be sort of a pain to wear daily, much less just for dinner, unless you have a manservant.)

If I get another rig, which is highly unlikely in the short term, since I am 40, and pretty much all of my friends are now married, and I don't think that the next generation is going to be getting married for another 20-30 years, I am thinking that it would be cool to get something in midnight blue, with a black grosgrain shawl lapel, or maybe a smoking jacket.

5. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Distinguished Member

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

7. Biggskip

You do have to consider your friend's upcoming second marriages which will be coming up in the next 5-10 years.

On an unrelated note, I want to buy a seam ripper. Do I just buy the cheapest one off of Amazon, or is there a brand, style, or feature that I should be aware of?

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

If you pay over $3, you have been ripped of.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Bury your humiliation and shame and go to your local Jo-Anns Fabrics. They'll have what you need, and the ladies there often have decent recommendations.

10. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior Member

I bought this one. It seems to meet all my seam ripping needs.

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Distinguished Member

i bought a seam ripper from amazon but they sent me a dream ripper instead. now i have no more goals and ambitions and spend my evenings watching big bang theory reruns.

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

thoughts on using twill cotton for a hidden placket shirt? is poplin the superior option?

13. Biggskip

They can be woven back into your consciousness, you just have to use a Dream Weaver.

14. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior Member

[​IMG]

That escalated quickly...

(My response basically said that I thought $330 was a fair price, but I didn't want to deal with international shipping to someone with no feedback if he wasn't paying for USPS Priority)

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Tell him to send his address and when he does write him back "thanks I will send my Somalian relatives."