Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Thanks for the rec., some of those prices are high and I can only imagine the price for MTO.

I tried a briefcase before, felt cumbersome. And it was not accommodating to my EDC.

Best feature of a tote is the open top IMO (my current LL Bean tote has the zipper and I rarely use it). I love digging around to find things.

I wonder what the current state is for men's personal carry; there is a thread dedicated to man bags right? I don't see a lot of professionals toting around a briefcase from my POV, and if they are it's usually very sleek or nowadays in its place a leather envelope. I guess most documents can be stored electronically and reached via smart devices.

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

A quick hello and a photo of an invite to remind one of the former SF glory days. Notice the dress code. :D

[​IMG]

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

You're back! Good to see around. You should post more often in CM.

4. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Sara barner may be able to do MTO

But for the most part, I don't imagine it'll be too costly for a MTO if you use the same pattern and are just adjusting the size.

Re frank clegg, really like his double and triple gusset briefcases :drool:

5. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I have a wedding later this month of a fraternity brother of mine I am going stag to (gf's going to the biggest conference of the year for her business) and the dress code is "formal". It's at a lower tier golf course (I hate myself already for saying that) but does the dress code itself give me enough reason to get the Formosa tux I just got in altered and rock it and my black Lobb oxfords to the wedding? Or should I just do what my friends are doing and wear a dark suit

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You can wear your tux, but be prepared to stick out and be teased mercilessly, as will be your friends' duty. Do it anyway.

7. Krish the Fish

At this point being friends with my friends long enough, I would expect nothing else from them, as they would expect of me. Tux it is. Thanks for the support, I was waffling on the idea but fuck it. Formal is formal. And there are only so many times I can wear a Formosa tuxedo at 24

8. LA Guy

Good man. Your friends are going to have a field day, and you'll get to wear your tux. It's a win all around. And the girls will probably like it as long as you don't over do it and look like one of those fat kids in the black suits and black shirts with the fedora.

9. Krish the Fish

Nah. Not going to over do it, but I am lacking a proper tuxedo shirt. Closest thing I have is a wing collar hidden placket MMM piece from a couple years ago. I picked up all the appropriate accessories at Drake's off Saville Row earlier this summer so it'll be more CM and less goth prom. Might just co-opt a Zegna spread collar if it looks right with the bow

10. LA Guy

Since you already have everything, you may as well go and buy a proper formal shirt and just have the full rig. It's not like you get to do this all the ime. For this type of thing, I prefer to go either full designer or full CM. Since you are already down that CM road, you may as well go for it. If you are a slimmer dude, I like this cutaway with a pique bib: https://www.paulstuart.com/phineas-cole/formal-wear/pique-bib-front-cotton-formal-shirt-4.html Something that won't require studs, and that is a little less radical on the collar is from the regular line:
    https://www.paulstuart.com/men-s/formal-wear/pique-bib-front-cotton-formal-shirt-3.html

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

On the cheaper end, I have a Kent Wang shirt that was OK - runs super slim though.

12. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Hey RSS, how's Berkeley these days? Moved from the North Side 5 years ago and kinda miss Tilden & Cheese Board.

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

[@]gettoasty[/@ ]Henry makes great bags: http://www.htleather.co.uk/

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Getting a better look at the bag suggestions, seems like if I go with Henry or Chester I would go MTO. Henry has a few options but I would have to tweak the stock design a bit. Re: Sara Barner, nice simple designs without all the embellishments. Another projects though if I consider that route.

J.W. has the Classic Tote.

But that Frank Clegg Working Tote, wooo. Simple and has that subtle luxury look.

The Tall Tote looks good, too.

Wish the Michael Bastian canvas tote had a better shape.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

That Sara Barner stuff looks good. Kind of see that going more with your style.

Maybe also Kika NYC? She trained under Barbara Shaum, who's a famous leatherworker in NYC

http://www.kikany.com/store/small-market-bag

Feel like this might be too heritage-y for you, but there's also this tote at Kaufmann Merc

https://www.kaufmann-mercantile.com...ther-and-english-brass-convertible-tote-brown