Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Considering Grailed is supposed to be the place to sell clothes with eBay dead in the water, it baffles me how terrible many of the sellers are at communicating.

There is a shirt I'm interested in, a size Large which should fit me, but when I asked for the chest measurement to confirm sizing, worried it might be on the big side, the figure he gave me was 19 inches (which is minuscule, and it's not like it's a Japanese brand). There is another shirt from the same brand on eBay in size XS with a chest measurement of 19 inches, so I figure he probably didn't measure it properly. But he has not responded again since the first message a week ago, even though I politely asked if he'd had it altered or if he could reconfirm the measurement.

It's still for sale, and I would buy it if it fit, so what can I do now but hit myself with a brick?

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

You could buy it, if you think it fits it probably will.
    If not, relist it.
    I mean I agree that grailed has its issues, but if it's a shirt for cheap you won't be out much and there's a high chance it does fit.

3. GoldenTribe

I'm weighing the temptation to do just that, but I keep asking myself, if he can't be bothered to answer a polite question, how do I know he's going to ship the thing (in less than three weeks / at all) if I pay for it?

Humph. Maybe I should go for it. :foo:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1) This I see all the time. And a lot of money is being thrown around based on this. And because a lot of money is being thrown around, it leads to a cascade of stupidity.. For example, one thing that advertising agencies (buy side, i.e. the people the publishers like us sell to) look at is "social media presence", and to many ad buyers, the metric they look at, implusively, are the "number of facebook likes". I don't think that I have to go into detail about why this is a really dumb. However, I would encourage you to all like our facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Styleforum, despite that fact that there is nothing there that isn't on our frontpage, easily findable in the forum itself, or in our newsletters. Just like us.

2) This is, imo, a subset of (1) in many cases, because the "value" of morals and ethics is very hard, if it's possible at all, to quantify, on any time scale.

3) Ridiculously strong. And yes, also very interesting.

What do you teach, and where? PM me if you feel that it's too personal to post on the public forum, though I know a lot of data scientists who blog opening about stuff like this, generally under their real names. Not on a menswear forum, though.

5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

@GoldenTribe

Yeah I get what you mean but if it's a low cost item then you're not out of pocket much and can always request a refund through PayPal if he doesn't ship. There's two things I want in there that I have asked questions about (a pair of shoes that has confusing sizes, he says on the front page it's a 13, the description says 12, the product photo shows 11, but it's not his photo) if ts 12 I want it but he won't answer. The other is a jacket for a really good price but he lists "purchase price adds $109 for shipping within the US" so either he's a dick or he me a mistake but again, won't answer questions (or offers of the asking price + $19 shipping, since I assume that's maybe what he meant).i think people list shit and then either sell them elsewhere and forget to take it down or just list it and never check grailed ever again.

6. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Keep it open please. Just don't go in there if you're getting grief for it regularly. Would be nice if we could ban people like Ter from the thread - guys who have no orders on file and are only in the thread as some form of schadenfreude and to stir shit up. It's very frustrating to have been fucked over by a scumbag like drew, but deleting the thread would make things worse, even if only 1/100 posts are worthwhile.

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Can anyone convert an ai or eps file to a file suitable for embroidery? Or know where to get it done?

8. GoldenTribe

What is "a file suitable for embroidery"? I don't know what that entails, but if you just want it resaved as a JPG or something, feel free to PM me.

9. chupas

chupas Senior member

It is a last refuge/central information clearinghouse for a lot of dudes who are otherwise screwed. As long as DWW and others are still working on resolving things, I think keeping it open for their benefit would be a nice thing to do. If you want to cut down on the signal:noise ratio you could just ban that ter1413 moron.

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Yeah these things are finicky. Different machines use different files, I should've clarified.
    I'd need a .vp3 file.

11. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

There's a shop that does something like that near my house and I thought it'd be cool, but the result looked like a mess. Either the equipment is bad or you need to create the file from scratch

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

What's an affordable option nowadays for MTO leather tote?

I have a LL Bean small canvas tote and wish the dimensions were less proportionally i.e. taller. It is wide enough to carry my lunch but I wish it was higher so I can carry binders to and from work without spilling over. Currently utilizing the canvas tote and an old Guidi cotton shoe bag to carry books and papers.

On the weekends the leather tote can double up as a grocery bag I think.

I'm imagining something like those market bags Apolis put out but more discreet.

13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Oh man, snowman should use a super artifacty JPEG as the basis for an embroidery pattern. Like, that could be his signature.

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Chester Mox makes really nice custom leather goods.

http://www.chestermox.com/blog

All hand saddle stitched. Prices are really competitive for the level of work, although I assume a leather tote will cost you a bit.

I also like Frank Clegg Leatherworks. I don't know if they do custom, but they sell totes.

http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/leather-bags/totes.html

JW Hulme has some that are a bit more heritage-y looking

http://www.jwhulmeco.com/travel-totes-s/129.htm

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member