Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

A thousand apologies.

2. Rais

Rais Senior member

re: tumblr

I started posting outfits and photos on a tumblr page a month or two ago. I didn't want to spam the WAYWT here with iterative differences of the same black polyester activewear outfits I like, and sometimes I like to take photos of buildings or scenes that are not appropriate for SW&D. I don't reblog anyone's content but I am getting feedback on my photos in notes (likes and re-blogs). I get one or two messages a day from followers which has led to some interesting private discussions, but nothing communal like we enjoy here. I tried SF's Galleries but there was little discussion or even basic feedback and Tumblr's interface is much easier to upload images with. Possibly the way I am using Tumblr is not the norm, but I do get value from it beyond simply browsing a feed of pics from blogs I follow (and that can be nice too when I just want a quick distraction).

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I use tumblr the same way you do for the most part. Even that has started to get repetitive for me though and I don't know how much longer I will use it. To be honest, I kind of just enjoy wearing clothes these days. Posting on the internet is not necessary.

4. Rais

Rais Senior member

@Caustic Man
    Yea, I know what you mean. I enjoy taking photos on my breaks though, gives me something to do besides exercise when I am alone and I want some activity to get away from the screen. I feel like I can judge my outfits better viewing them as a photo than I can in the mirror so the process helps me figure out styling. I am not satisfied with most of my looks but I think they are more coherent and communicate better than when I started putting effort into what I was wearing.

I'd like to continue to learn about photography too. I think my skill has developed a lot since I started posting here; but I have a lot of room for improvement. Some people ask me to take photos of them when they see my fucking around with my camera outside. It might be fun to start taking pics of interesting people as an alternative to timered self shots.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I think that when you view yourself in a photo you are, if not seeing yourself through other eyes, at least seeing yourself through a filter. That degree of separation can be very beneficial. There are things that I really liked when I looked in a mirror, but didn't like at all when I saw myself in a photo. It is another form of feedback in a certain sense so that is good. I play around with my camera when bored or alone too, and that can be nice.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

People who know me know that I am actually quite a private person, ) and I don't feel particularly compelled to share much of myself with the world. What I enjoy is the exchange of ideas and reflections about fashion and style, and the industry of fashion (including fashion media, of which Styleforum is a part), which I believe is inextricable from fashion and style itself. I'm also much more interested in dialogue rather than commenting (I do a lot better at round tables than in Q&As, for example). So I find the "flat" discussion format of forums to be perfect for me.

Conversely, things like instagram and tumblr, which are best for communicating mood and emotion, and rather poor at communicating ideas, interest me very little, for the most part. Maybe I'm in the very small minority, or just a product of a less visual, more verbal, world. I'm a former academic who remembers posting usenet in the mid 90s, after all.

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any streetwear dudes want to crash the CM meet at Cafe Zoetrope?
    Maybe everyone wear a leather jacket. It'll be plaid sport coats vs. leather 5-zips.

8. 13k

13k Senior member

if @Abraxis & @nineohtoo show up I'll bring a 5 zip (if it gets cold enough)

9. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

I'd be down, but the only leather jacket I have left is a suede T-1 though. We should wear various MA-1s instead :nodding:

I also have to see if I can switch shifts since I work nights now :(

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

#5zipgang

11. bows1

bows1 Senior member

@Parker unfortunately just life stuff, and nothing romantic or sexy. Moving apartments, moving up at work means more stuff to worry about. Etc. But I'd like to try to get back into posting here :D

@LA Guy Definitely have an interest in doing some more video on my own, its been so career based at the moment I haven't made anything for pleasure in a long time. Really at this point would be a concept that is new and fresh, without being too difficult to pull off. I'd be happy to have one of my team start working on a graphics / animation package for a video series if we want to pursue this down the line. Having a classy graphics package would go along way.

If anyone has video ideas let me and Fok know and maybe something could come out of it.

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Definitely agree with the classy graphics package.

Also, the video ideas would be super welcome. As I stated earlier, I am primarily a words guy, not even really a words and pictures guy. I learn about the pics, but they don't really resonate with me emotionally, and so I have little to no intuition re. whether something engaging or not, and mostly look at the numbers, which leaves out the intangibles that make something great. I like videos, and I can find them engaging, but at the same time, they do not have the same draw on me as words, so again, I lack intuition in that area. It's also one of the reasons that I am personally focusing on audio. Not only is is particularly engaging on mobile, but it's something that I personally seek out - mostly NPR, Tedtalks, things like that, but in any case, the spoken word. I've seen too many old men try to guess at "what is cool for younger kids" and fail miserably, so I definitely don't want to go down that road. "Data driven decision making" is great for evolutionary tweaks, but it's a terrible way to guide something creative.

At the same time, I think that I am a pretty good judge of what might be a good idea, and what is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, a terrible idea. That would be my contribution.

15. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

This statement caught my attention. I proposed a graduate course recently, as part of a "Big Data" program, focused on this very thing. Obviously the program is concerned with how big data can be leveraged in all manner of wonderful ways, but I wanted a course that explored where and when analytics can and should be used and where it cannot or should not. Too often people believe that they can provide all and every answer, which they can't - especially when values and ethics come into play. I hadnt thought of creative fields, but will try to find sources and evidence.