Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

current social media content is evidence of what most people really want: pretty, distracting images and bite-sized affirmation

western/westernized culture self-medicates by:

a) interacting with soothing images of things they will (most likely) at best only interact with an approximation of, objects and locations

b) posting the perceived small victories of everyday life into a world-wide skinner box (split an awesome bottle of white before Pink Martini #summersattheBowl)

discourse is the last thing developers are worried about in the current landscape because it is the last thing most users are worried about; you put in the time to create the features that will generate the most usage and (ideally, though this is a nebulous concept in the world of social media platforms) profit

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Catering to the lowest common denominator might be profitable, but it's no fun.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The format would be two hosts and a guest, probably usually related to fashion in one way or another.

4. LA Guy

The mountains of money would mitigate that feeling, I would imagine.

5. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate more or point me where I can read more about this?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Doing a vlog is easy. Doing actual camera work/editing is time consuming but probably necessary for visual commodity like clothes. Still a good idea though.

7. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

8. LA Guy

Here us the deal. If you guys create these threads in CM, where you will have tons of exposure, and can get traction in terms of both participants and views, I'll consider in it a month.

9. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I think the strength and appeal of this site is that the discourse forces you to slow down, talk and think about things. I just end up scrolling through tumblr and instagram, mostly due to boredom, but then I close the window/app and I usually don't know what the fuck I was looking at and processed nothing from it. This forum also presents a treasure trove of information, whereas instagram is more ad/promotion focused, and tumblr has almost no original content.

10. APK

APK Senior member

I have a love-hate thing going with both IG and Tumblr. It's fun to scroll through the feed or suggested posts when I have some down time, but because neither format is very discourse friendly, it ends up feeling like a repetitive, almost homogeneous experience. And not that fashion/clothes have to be on the SZ level of discussion, but little or no conversation emerging from these photos, it all has a real vapid aura to it.

11. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

A French brand called "something." Sorry, bit hard to Google. The only stockist in town dropped it after one season, too haha

12. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

@nicelynice I've seen you answer this question enough times that at this point I have an excellent picture of what I think peoples faces look like when they read.... "something"

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Haha, yeah. At least on the internet people understand stuff like that.. not as easy explaining in real life "well this is a shirt from 2002 by a kinda-crazy Italian designer/wizard that I got by searching an Internet auction site every morning on the train..."

In other news, got the mythical five-year work visa!! See you in hell immigration bureau! I promise not to complain about bureacratic processes until 2020

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yep. Still here. Mostly in the background at present, but very much still here.

Hope everybody here is doing well.

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

You see what happens to this place when you leave???