Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

I want this shirt. Who makes it?

Have you guys considered starting a Youtube channel? My girlfriend recently got into women's fashion vlogs and I was amazed at the following that some of these girls had. I know there are some men's ones (that would often get ridiculed in the terrible fashion blogs thread) but it seems like there is an opportunity there. Obviously it is a lot of work. Making video content is a lot harder than posting fit pictures or writing articles.

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, that's good. The second, I could definitely do, though GMTOs and preorders seem to me to be quite separate from bespoke, since the former are goal-driven initiatives, and discussions about bespoke are often just discussions with no particular goal in mind. Really, though, I'd like to see some evidence of activity and leadership among a handful of members who would actively draw other members into those discussions in CM, before I move. To me, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Incidentally, that's how the SWD subforum got started. It was originally just one thread in CM, a rather silly list about "Top 10 jeans", that became the top or second most viewed and posted in threads in what is now CM, constantly, and it touched on a ton of non top 10 denim related topics, to the point where we decided to branch it off to a new subforum and break the thread up into various parts. That's the type of activity and enthusiasm that I look for if I was to create a new subforum.

Cheers,

Fok.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

The architecture/design desiderata are always filled with knowledgeable people (or at least people who know enough for a legit lively debate), same with the foods threads.

Re-CE I feel that way too, but I don't usually post in there unless I'm willing to argue for an hour or two over something I know we won't agree on, regardless, so it's rather demoralizing.

5. LA Guy

So, the answer is no, and it's precisely because we have no in-house talent, and we don't have the budget or time to do such a thing right. Even the podcasts, which are considerably easier to do, we've had trouble allocating time to those. And our other editorial initiatives, we're still figuring out our identity.

If someone like @bows1 would like to take the initiative and work with us, that would be great, and we'd be happy to cut you in to the revenues generated, plus a bit of compensation (it can't be much, we already have a couple of guys on regular contract, and a full time guy in @Synthese , which, if you've ever had employees. is not an inexpensive proposition).

Styleforum has always been user-driven. I was one of the original members (I think, member 30 something), but I became an integral part of the forum and one of just two partners, and these days, manage the entire place, because I did a lot of the heavy lifting, and happily volunteered thousands of hours of time to build this place (possibly tens of thousands of hours, I never really counted, but for years, I was working day in and day out, in all my spare time, without a written contract). I notice in this discussion that there is a lot of "it would be great if", but except for @Claghorn , I don't hear many people stepping up and saying "I think that this is a great idea and I would love to do the work to make this happen". There are any number of reasons for this, and we are well past a decade from when Styleforum started, but I want all of you guys to feel empowered to do things, and know that this is the way we've built up this community, and that we respect initiative and loyalty and hard work above all else. When we hire or choose people to be in positions of authority and responsibility, be it contract writers to our editor-in-chief, or sending correspondents to PItti or whatever, we don't go through a lengthy interview process. We look at the members who have demonstrated the ability to lead within the forum, and making a real contribution to the forum, and are loyal to the community, and demonstrate that they work well with administration, and choose from that pool.

Well, there it is in a nutshell.

Cheers,

Fok.

6. LA Guy

Politics is divisive. There is a reason that we made that a private forum a long time ago. No one "gets together" on the subject of politics the way people get together on topics like good food, wine, clothing, cars, architecture - things that inspire positive passion.

7. habitant

habitant Senior member

The design forum is awful. It is full of elitists and amateur woodworkers

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is it? I've asked questions about purchasing on a budget (far under many of the items they post on there), and have received several serious, non-snobby, realistic responses each time.

9. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

FTFY

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

RE: JET

I hope he doesn't mind me speaking to this, but I did have one PM with him some time ago about a particular cigar purchase, which he has always graciously helped me with. In that discussion he mentioned still being pretty bummed about the passing of his father and was focused on work and spending time with his brother. As FOK and others have mentioned... LIFE.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Re: my particular point of making thread-tagging an improvement in the UX, it would not make sense to spend time tagging threads right now because the functionality is pretty much impossible to see and use. If your team can tweak the page design to bring tags in a very clear place (right under or next to the thread title), then I'd be happy to spend time in CM and go back to hashtag threads + maybe nag thread-starters on a regular basis to add tags to their threads.

12. LA Guy

Agree completely, and I've brought this point up numerous times to our tech team. However, they tell me that they want to see more user adoption of it before doing more on it, which I do not agree with. But at the same time, it's not something over which I have any particularly strong leverage. Makes me crazy, and puts me in a spot. After each of those meetings, I need a couple of stiff drinks. Which is why, btw, everyone who meets me in San Francisco meets me in a bar.

I suppose the only thing I can ask you guys to reasonably do is to check out the tagged pages, just by clicking on a tag on the right hand side of the page that has been reasonably done, like this Viberg page (http://www.styleforum.net/tag/viberg) , and seeing how that agglomerated information (threads, images, articles) could be useful to you, and then maybe you'll subscribe to the page, start tagging yourself, telling others how to tag and how to get to the tagged page, subscribe to them, etc...

I know that other forum's on the same platform have dedicated tagging teams. In addition to helping existing members organize and find threads on a subject that they might not otherwise have found, it also helps with our SEO and search engine display results, and therefore, gives better entry points for new members/users, which also leads to better members and less pain along the way.

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

Yeah all that is amusing, for sure. I was referring to my disappointment with apps showing images of things I want to know more about and discuss (for me, guitars, teh personal style and fahsun, architecture and design to some degree, soccer, tech) but that are not designed for discussion in any depth.

I like quick-shot funny pics and gifs as much as anyone, but I don't need to know anything more about their subject matter.

14. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

That's what I figured and I'd imagine it's hard to justify allocating a budget for something completely new that wouldn't necessarily drive traffic. I'd volunteer to help but I'm not sure I'd be much help. (I took a course on Final Cut a few years ago but that's the extent of my video knowledge).

Re: Stepping up to the plate: I think it's excellent how open you are to letting members getting involved. Running the Instagram was a lot of fun and I hope that we continue to see new people on there.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It'd be cool if the podcast can interview people in the fashion industry. I've been listening to some of the shows at American Fashion Podcast, but it's not specifically menswear related.

http://fashionmediacenter.com/afpod/