Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. habitant

habitant Senior member

To be fair this is one of the only interesting threads on here.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is precisely the reason I stopped posting in WAYWRN on a regular basis. I'm not trying to sound douchey but I got to the point where most of my fits in CM were getting a lot of support and even ended up on the front page 2 or 3 times. That was nice, but I rarely felt like I was growing and learning anymore. Oh sure, people would give suggestions on how to do things differently at times, but where previously I got criticism and thought "Wow, yeah that would look a lot better" now I usually think "That would look good too but it's not my preference". I don't think this was simply due to a desire to stay stagnant in my style of dress. This is a large part of the reason that I moved over to SWD although it was rather short lived before I decided not to post much in their either, for completely different reasons. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a certain dynamism in variety. When WAYWRN became more and more of the same people posting the same things it simply wasn't as interesting. I think WAYWT suffers from this even more and is even less active because of it. I do, however, admit that I am a SWD 3rd tier poster for whatever that's worth.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. habitant

habitant Senior member

People just need to experiment and find out what works for them. That takes time. Oftentimes I see comments or advice that are definitely misguided.

4. bows1

bows1 Senior member

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope you've been on a 3 month fashion shoot in Morocco.

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

welcome back. you are just in time for our existential crisis. pull up a chair

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Agreed. I miss all the old analytical threads. Nowadays, I basically, I only look at WAYWT and this thread, probably because I´m not that into specific brands. I enjoyed Caustic mans "Theory " thread as a welcome return of some thinking to the board..

8. DLester

DLester Senior member

I don't understand how people can be satisfied by viewing photos on an app without engagement or context. When I like something, I want to ask questions, discuss, share, research, dig in. A photo with no context just raises questions and answers none.

I can't imagine I am the only one who feels this way.

It makes me think that apps like tumblr and instagram will eventually adopt features that resemble forums. I doubt that will ever be as information rich as this place though.

9. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

We need a return to. . .

[GOLDEN ERA SW&D]

Center-Posting and Square Brackets​

FWIW, contributions from Caustic Man and DieWorkwear got me to start browsing regularly again. That and uncensored Synth face pics.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

via willy cheesesteak

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Instagram already has comments. There have bee social justice arguments against tumblr specifically because there is no real mechanism for responding to a commented reblog. No one has figured out how to have a flat conversation on a platform with a strong op. Conversely, no one has really figured out how to adequately structure a flat conversation. If someone does that, they have the potential to kill every sharing platform in the world.

12. Louys

Louys Senior member

Though I don't post fits I've noticed this too. Part of the reason, I think, is an overall sea change in CM thought. When I first came to SF guys like Manton championed a very strict set of rules, which I don't think anyone wholly agreed with. However, the idea that there was a standard by which fits could be evaluated was wide spread, and formed the basis of most good criticism and discussion. Now, it seems that that view has been largely abandoned, in my opinion to the overall detriment of the forum. Without a basis criticism has become shallow and sincere evaluation rarely attempted.

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I agree with DWW on many of his points.

Maybe we lost that style of people who had a strong background in bespoke, who had come up in that culture, and learned the 'rules' or at least their regions variety of the rules from their father rather than online. And they spoke to others online who had learned from their fathers, but whose father came from a different type of society, leading to interesting disagreements on style. Class and that old world mentality were a part of certain conversations.

Lately I've been moving over to the food/architecture/lifestyle threads and posting less and less in CM. CE though.... why is CE so crazy?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

There's no need to defend anything, it was purely an observation, we all know life happens.

Jet actually mentioned why he stopped in the pull thread a while ago.

It's a shame not more people post in the architecture part, as there's only maybe 5-10 threads moving the rest are spam or dead, oddly always about kitchen cabinetry.

Some of the regular posters in CE only post in there to get a reaction out of people, Brad T's head would explode if he went in there.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes.

(Though hopefully some who care more about the actual process than I do. And who know more).

Perhaps tack it on to the GMTO subforum?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015