• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair this is one of the only interesting threads on here.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
established posters who already dress well perpetually congratulating each other on how good they look.

This is precisely the reason I stopped posting in WAYWRN on a regular basis. I'm not trying to sound douchey but I got to the point where most of my fits in CM were getting a lot of support and even ended up on the front page 2 or 3 times. That was nice, but I rarely felt like I was growing and learning anymore. Oh sure, people would give suggestions on how to do things differently at times, but where previously I got criticism and thought "Wow, yeah that would look a lot better" now I usually think "That would look good too but it's not my preference". I don't think this was simply due to a desire to stay stagnant in my style of dress. This is a large part of the reason that I moved over to SWD although it was rather short lived before I decided not to post much in their either, for completely different reasons. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a certain dynamism in variety. When WAYWRN became more and more of the same people posting the same things it simply wasn't as interesting. I think WAYWT suffers from this even more and is even less active because of it. I do, however, admit that I am a SWD 3rd tier poster for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is precisely the reason I stopped posting in WAYWRN on a regular basis. I'm not trying to sound douchey but I got to the point where most of my fits in CM were getting a lot of support and even ended up on the front page 2 or 3 times. That was nice, but I rarely felt like I was growing and learning anymore. Oh sure, people would give suggestions on how to do things differently at times, but where previously I got criticism and thought "Wow, yeah that would look a lot better" now I usually think "That would look good too but it's not my preference". I don't think this was simply due to a desire to stay stagnant in my style of dress. This is a large part of the reason that I moved over to SWD although it was rather short lived before I decided not to post much in their either, for completely different reasons. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a certain dynamism in variety. When WAYWRN became more and more of the same people posting the same things it simply wasn't as interesting. I think WAYWT suffers from this even more and is even less active because of it. I do, however, admit that I am a SWD 3rd tier poster for whatever that's worth.

People just need to experiment and find out what works for them. That takes time. Oftentimes I see comments or advice that are definitely misguided.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope you've been on a 3 month fashion shoot in Morocco.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welcome back. you are just in time for our existential crisis. pull up a chair

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair this is one of the only interesting threads on here.

Agreed. I miss all the old analytical threads. Nowadays, I basically, I only look at WAYWT and this thread, probably because I´m not that into specific brands. I enjoyed Caustic mans "Theory " thread as a welcome return of some thinking to the board..

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There has to be the discussion though. At least for me, what makes StyleForum fun is the discussion, which is nearly impossible to have on Tumblr or Instagram. At least not in the long, drawn-out ways you see on SF.

This thread is actually a perfect example. Random Fashion Thoughts is pretty much just a chat room, and it's one of my favorite threads on the forum.

I don't understand how people can be satisfied by viewing photos on an app without engagement or context. When I like something, I want to ask questions, discuss, share, research, dig in. A photo with no context just raises questions and answers none.

I can't imagine I am the only one who feels this way.

It makes me think that apps like tumblr and instagram will eventually adopt features that resemble forums. I doubt that will ever be as information rich as this place though.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need a return to. . .

[GOLDEN ERA SW&D]

Center-Posting and Square Brackets​

FWIW, contributions from Caustic Man and DieWorkwear got me to start browsing regularly again. That and uncensored Synth face pics.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't understand how people can be satisfied by viewing photos on an app without engagement or context.

via willy cheesesteak

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't understand how people can be satisfied by viewing photos on an app without engagement or context. When I like something, I want to ask questions, discuss, share, research, dig in. A photo with no context just raises questions and answers none.

I can't imagine I am the only one who feels this way.

It makes me think that apps like tumblr and instagram will eventually adopt features that resemble forums. I doubt that will ever be as information rich as this place though.

Instagram already has comments. There have bee social justice arguments against tumblr specifically because there is no real mechanism for responding to a commented reblog. No one has figured out how to have a flat conversation on a platform with a strong op. Conversely, no one has really figured out how to adequately structure a flat conversation. If someone does that, they have the potential to kill every sharing platform in the world.

Last edited:

Louys

Reaction score

Though I don't post fits I've noticed this too. Part of the reason, I think, is an overall sea change in CM thought. When I first came to SF guys like Manton championed a very strict set of rules, which I don't think anyone wholly agreed with. However, the idea that there was a standard by which fits could be evaluated was wide spread, and formed the basis of most good criticism and discussion. Now, it seems that that view has been largely abandoned, in my opinion to the overall detriment of the forum. Without a basis criticism has become shallow and sincere evaluation rarely attempted.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with DWW on many of his points.

Maybe we lost that style of people who had a strong background in bespoke, who had come up in that culture, and learned the 'rules' or at least their regions variety of the rules from their father rather than online. And they spoke to others online who had learned from their fathers, but whose father came from a different type of society, leading to interesting disagreements on style. Class and that old world mentality were a part of certain conversations.

Lately I've been moving over to the food/architecture/lifestyle threads and posting less and less in CM. CE though.... why is CE so crazy?

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dunno what happened to jet.  @in stitches
 is still around, and is actually a mod I keep in touch with.  If he want to explain why he is posting less, I'll let him explain.  But as usual, I want to emphasize that most people who cease to post or post less usually do so for reasons that have nothing to do with their feelings about the forum itself.

There's no need to defend anything, it was purely an observation, we all know life happens.

Jet actually mentioned why he stopped in the pull thread a while ago.

Thank you sir, I still haven't looked at the main threads in quite some time and now am more discouraged to do so since I'm so far behind :(

Lately I've been moving over to the food/architecture/lifestyle threads and posting less and less in CM. CE though.... why is CE so crazy?

It's a shame not more people post in the architecture part, as there's only maybe 5-10 threads moving the rest are spam or dead, oddly always about kitchen cabinetry.

Some of the regular posters in CE only post in there to get a reaction out of people, Brad T's head would explode if he went in there.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Litmus test: Are there 2-3 bespoke posters who would consistently help out hapless boots without snark or condescension?

Yes.

(Though hopefully some who care more about the actual process than I do. And who know more).

Perhaps tack it on to the GMTO subforum?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads