Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Tumblr is only ok for the gay dudes into gopniks and the kooky girls into cheap 90s graphics and cutesy stuff (these will soon be boring). The rest is a bunch of passable editorial re-posts and generic lifestyle pics, I drink coffee too dude, fuck your cup closeup. I feel that MrPorter is basically the generic tumblr fashion dude made into a shop so I really don't keep up with it because it is sad.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I'm curious, why not start a bespoke section for the forum? Even if just to keep some of the old guys around? I don't think it would alienate anyone on the "regular" CM side of the board. Those bespoke threads are largely what drew a lot of non-bespoke buying people (including me initially) into StyleForum. And you'd still get the discussions about how to dress well in general, which everyone (on the CM side of the board) would benefit from.

At the moment, you have a separate section for GMTO, which is slightly different in nature (seems to be just about organizing group purchases), but the actual idea of having a section for people who want custom clothes isn't that different.

The threads I enjoyed most on CM (way back in the day) were the ones where a bunch of guys would post amicably; say some fun, snarky things; but also show a great deal of taste (which was grounded in real-world experiences with the coat and tie look -- not just stuff they read on the internet). Now CM just feels like it's all affiliate threads, guys being hyper-analytical about trivial minutia, and bitter arguing. I don't mind the affiliate threads cause everyone has to make money, but the community doesn't have the same dynamic. And I don't think I'm the only person who has said the old stuff was a lot better; it's kind of a common theme on the CM side of the board -- even with very new members (I assume because they trawl old threads).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I only make new forums when there's a critical mass of active threads to make it necessary or desirable. I just don't see "bespoke" having that membership or audience. Additionally, I see bespoke, unlike streetwear, to be distinct from CM.

Also, and tbh, I am skeptical they we have a big and FRIENDLY enough group of bespoke posters to lead such a subforum. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Litmus test: Are there 2-3 bespoke posters who would consistently help out hapless boots without snark or condescension?

4. dieworkwear

Yea, I don't know. The community might be gone. I think SF was lucky to capture a small group of people at a certain point who (together) made some very high quality content. Once everyone leaves "the bar," as you put it, it's hard to convince even one or two people to come back because there's no community around anymore. Nobody wants to drink at a bar alone.

I just think that a lot of people agree CM's discussion isn't what it used to be, and a lot of people link that to a certain kind of poster that used to exist here. A lot of those posters -- although certainly not all -- were primarily interested in bespoke. Starting a subforum just for them seems like a way to at least try to get some of them back. Although, again, if I had to bet on it, I would say it's a little too late at this point. The Unfunded Liabilities thread is pretty much the last bespoke thread on the forum, outside of some things that pop up here and there (Newc's Despos thread). But there isn't that much discussion going on there either. Maybe because the premise of Unfunded Liabilities is mostly just cloth discussion, so people feel hesitant to branch out to other topics.

Anyway, your forum, your rules. Just saying a lot of people have commented on the decline of CM's discussion quality. Talking about what kind of new two-tone, purple hippo leather shoes to buy from some shoemaker isn't going to hold new members as long as, say, discussions about tailoring or how to put together a coat and tie look. The discussions about how to dress now (Noodles thread, The Lounge, etc) just feel hyper analytical. For me anyway, they don't have the same grounding as the old stuff. You need that kind of old-type poster back, but a lot of them seemed to have left.

5. LA Guy

The old threads were hyper analytical as well. It's just that there were a small group of posters to whom others deferred. I am not sure that that deference exists anymore, nor that that is a bad thing.

Re. the old posters - two with whom I am in touch, Heismatt and Manton, just won't be back anymore, for reasons completely unrelated to the forum. I don't think that it's a secret that Vox and I just never got along particularly well, and that in 2011, we just had to part ways because he was becoming both much too disruptive to the forum, doing things like posting and then deleting his posts 5 minutes later, because he was not happy with the direction we were taking the forum. Will is still a member, but I think that he is occupied with growing his business/keeping it alive. a tailor was always old, but I believe that he decided to not help in the tailoring thread any more because he had ethical concerns about people were asking questions about online MTM suits. Jefferyd is still around occasionally, but he has his own thing going, and mostly just reads, AFAIK. Despos, I suppose, was always helpful and seemed like an all around good guy. Foo, I guess, who is sorta nuts and can get a conversation going, but he is not really a suitable community leader. Is there anyone else? Have I missed anyone obvious?

The worst thing to do is to throw a party where no one comes. This coming from someone who used to host parties semi-professionally. If I were to make a brand new forum, out of nothing (unlike the preorders forum, which, as you can tell, I could populate right away), I would target a large demographic and has the potential to go viral, and spend a ton of resources getting people aboard. Looking at the limited number of posters on London Lounge, and the essentially dead Bespoke subforum on AskAndy, plus the assessment in my second poaragraph, that subject just seems like a bad bet to me. I'm not going to just "try something" without a decent argument that it would be a success. Can you think of a reason you feel that it would be?

6. LA Guy

Just to expand on the above. The whole idea that "a bespoke forum would be awesome" reminds me a lot about contentions, in another interest of mine, that it would be great to have a women's jiujitsu class. There were none, and a lot of women said that there ought to be one, so my buddy started class, and got.... 2 participants. One was a strong grappler who was rolling with the men anyway, and the second just couldn't deal with it, emotionally. Even though the first woman was extremely gentle with her, and was essentially just teaching her, she became extremely defensive and at one point, actually wrote an open letter that she was not going to take the class anymore because she felt that her partner was "highly masculinized." So, the class folded. This was despite a ton of marketing. The demand was simply not there despite the articulated interest.

7. dieworkwear

Yea, the bespoke sub-forum might be a bad idea. I agree it probably wouldn't get much traction and none of those guys are coming back.

Don't really know what to do about the issue, but it does feel like a real shift on the CM side of the board. Also feel like new members would benefit if the kind of old dynamic discussions came back, but ... I don't know. Things seem so hyper-analytical these days in ways that feel really removed from reality (and often even traditions).

CrimsonSox still posts really good threads. He kind of reminds me of the old-style poster. Bengal-stripe is one of the best shoe posters on the forum. Nutcracker had a really great thread on Japanese stuff. Newcomer's thread on Despos was fun. But it just feels like you really have to wait a long time for those things nowadays. I have no idea how you could nurture those things, or how you could find replacements for guys like Manton, Vox, Will, Iammatt, etc etc etc. There just aren't many people with those kinds of backgrounds and experiences with tailored clothing, and are willing to spend hours posting on an internet forum.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

My time on the forum became severely limited once work took me away from the internet. Which reminds me, I should probably update my old thread.

9. LA Guy

We can easily feature those threads, since good 5% of our traffic goes there, which is not insignificant. Usually results in a traffic pickup in the first 48 h. From thereon in, it depends on the thread.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There would be a way to have "subforums" that are not excluded from the main forum (e.g. bespoke threads that show there but also in the CM general forum) if the tagging system was more intuitive and therefore used efficiently.

In the same vein, we could tag/hashtag threads in SW&D that relate to, say Japanese designers, or sneakers, and have them show up on that hashtag page.

Right now, I don't think anyone really understands or use tags so there's no good way to group threads that belong together or that people would want to explore in a straightforward way.

Some people may use those as subscriptions and hang mostly in those virtual subforums - e.g. if they're really passionate about bespoke or Stephan Schneider

Another great tool IMO would be reputation/starring for threads. Noobs or anyone could easily find great threads and keep them alive.

11. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

This. To be honest, I'm not surprised that posting has relatively dried up in certain threads. Assuming they're not obvious trolls, most of the rookies seeking advice in WAYWT are often either ignored or ridiculed. That leaves a circle jerk of established posters who already dress well perpetually congratulating each other on how good they look. It's not really conducive to building a broad community or helping people learn more about style.

12. LA Guy

The first we already do for some threads in the preorder subforum.

The second requires user adoption. We tried it during Pitti and Japan, but really, without more obvious visibility and better UX, or a group of core users dedicated to spreading the word, a tough proposition. And right now, only the last is a realistic solution.

I also like the third, but it's an unproven concept, and there is a ton of pressing dev. I could really use a cool mill right now.

13. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Mr.Porter does almost all of this in their videos.

14. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

I think the response to new posters depends almost entirely on how they establish themselves. Alex and Caustic Man (for SWD) are two good examples of posters who came in with open minds, posted (lots) of fits, and got all kinds of different feedback, criticisms, suggestions, etc--which they used to try new things, develop and improve their personal style. The new posters that don't do well here are the ones who a)didn't spend any time lurking or b)can't take criticism

15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Or c) LOVE cargo shorts and flip flops.