Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Maybe it has something to do with the collective evolution of the site, with many of us "coming of age", for lack of a better term, stylistically over the last several years. And so the group that has a good idea of what we're doing has gone from the minority to the majority, which naturally creates a less welcoming environment for noobs to ask questions, start threads, contribute to discussions, and post fits. New posters used to be just one in a crowd, trying to figure it out like the rest of us. Now they are outsiders, trying to figure it out among a group of posters who to varying degrees have already figured it out. So it's probably not as fun and definitely not as inviting. Just a thought.

2. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

Nice pants nn, could've posted in waywt. Looks good. Would also look good with rolled up hem.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

3. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Thanks (and I didn't actually wear them today, just took pictures for the internet haha)

They definitely look good rolled as well. Here's how the store dudes had them styled:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Can't stand tight dress pants, but didn't want just a straight wide-leg. These are a really interesting cut

4. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Senior member

Like these pants. What's the shirt?

5. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

I would probably agree. I am new here (haha, best excuse for fucking up ever!) but have spent plenty of time lurking here and using other similar forums. I find it funny that I momentarily second guess posting in threads on SF because they are almost exclusively inhabited by "senior members." But I could care less about sounding uninformed because it is, so far, a damn good resource.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Alexa is never accurate, but yes, platforms like tumblr and instagram hurt both posting and traffic, but most acutely in SWD, which has a less verbally articulate, younger, more visually driven demographic. This is why Styleforum is still strong, while something like sufu is completely dead, since we've always had a more affluent, professional audience that is also often computer bound during the week. This is also the reason summer is a bigger lull than winter, because more members are in mobile, and people on mobile feel in touch and don't feel the need to get to a computer. (I remember the late 90s, when internet cafes were a booming business.) The lull is about the same as usual, but only because of the "push" of content through things like the newsletter. Previously, our traffic would grow immensely purely by the strength of organic search, a "pull" mechanism.

Mobile has changed the landscape of social media immensely, apart from platforms like tumblr and instagram. Search, which is where the new traffic and members find Styleforum, is still incredibly strong, but unlike desktop, which is search and web oriented, apps cut unto search, and increasingly, social media users don't even understand that they are on the internet. Essentially, the internet is a technology is becoming a technology so ubiquitous that people are starting to not understand it, a common arch in science and technology. Just think about whether you (if you are not scientists) really understand the basics of gravity.

There is an app on the roadmap, plans for more newsletters and social media, and other things that will help us push content and things like advertising on Facebook to pull in new members. We've been around sine 2002 and have had to make tons of course adjustments in the many years since.

I think it's awesome that we have this place. At least for me, purely visual mediums without real discussion or community is sorta boring.

Cheers,

Fok.

7. LA Guy

This is a problem with all communities. We have things like new member questions threads, but unlike in 2008, it is now a smaller part of bigger issues.

8. LA Guy

I dunno what happened to jet. @in stitches is still around, and is actually a mod I keep in touch with. If he want to explain why he is posting less, I'll let him explain. But as usual, I want to emphasize that most people who cease to post or post less usually do so for reasons that have nothing to do with their feelings about the forum itself. A handful of both CM and SWD users who used to be very prolific, I still keep in touch with, and nearly all the time, it's because their life changed in some rather important way - Saucemaster got married, moved, and got a job he didn't hate. Some guys in CM shifted their interest from clothes to food, and, of all things, working out (and they still post in those much less populous sections, etc... Those two are the main reasons I hear that people who were once super prolific drop off either gradually or suddenly.

I will say that communities are very relevant in the current tech landscape, but the people who are interested in them do change. Communities used to be completely about hobbyists, but increasingly, more and more companies are realizing the power of a direct dialogue with their consumers that social media cannot provide. A lot of larger companies have been buying community software platforms and/or communities associated with their products. A lot of them have also found that community management is not as easily it as looks, and so have been coming to places like Styleforum to become affiliates. At least a handful of affiliates have tried to run their own forums at some point or another.

What you see on Styleforum, and other communities that are growing and healthy, is an evolution that reflects the evolution of tech media. It's rather fascinating, but yeah, my job is always becoming more complicated and unlike it was, say , 6-8 years ago, it's much more about anticipating and reacting to a rapidly changing landscape than about competing with other, similar communities, in a landscape that is relatively static.

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

The quality of discussion has really plummeted on the CM side of the board, but I don't know how that could be changed. (I know Fok has heard this argument a million times).

10. LA Guy

That's according to you, of course. The members make the conversations, and as the internet has moved to become a commercial space, online discussion has become more about product than about the minutiae of the early hobbyist forums. A forum is not even like a traditional media outlet, where the editors decide the content. I would say that if you want to start a thread on some esoteric subject, that you should do so, and see if their is a demand for that (as in, a membership that wants to engage in that discussion, and an audience that wants to read it.) A forum really is a marketplace for ideas. If you feel that you have an idea that people would be interested in, you should definitely go for it.

11. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I think the best thing you could do to breathe life into SF is to upgrade the B&S forums. I know you've stated that you like the way they are set up to make it more of a treasure hunt for people who enjoy the process of looking through the threads, but most of us would appreciate a more streamlined interface where we can actually buy and sell efficiently. That would bring new users here as well as give us a safe environment to sell our clothes to usernames we recognize.

12. LA Guy

I should add that I used to start more of these discussions, and that it went from hundreds of responses and thousands of views, to... many fewer, over the years. The people spoke. There is still a membership that wants to see this (see @Caustic Man 's thread), but the interest is just not there for dozens and dozens of conversations that are not product related.

13. habitant

habitant Senior member

To be fair the buy/sell thread before this 'new' format was waaaaaaayyyy better.

14. LA Guy

Yes and no. As you can tell by the Sufu format, that style just doesn't work anymore. Our system was cobbled together in a way that works better than that old, thread based format, but it lacks in filters and browsibility.

I have something in the works that will allow you to browse B&S in a much easier way. Things are not yet set in stone, and it may be a few months out, but something is coming. Not going to say more until it's a done deal.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Come on, you know it's not just according to me. The theme of "CM is past its Golden Years" comes up all the time there.

I'm not talking about how the conversation has shifted to kopping. Even the discussion threads like Noodles Good Advice and The Lounge don't feel that interesting (at least to me). I think the thing that made CM special before was that you had people who were very well versed in the coat and tie look before coming to StyleForum. Some also had a lot of experience buying bespoke.

Now, when things get discussed, it almost feels like a vacuum. People just referencing SF-rules about dress, or that thing Vox wrote. It's hyper-analytical, but without any base. Few people start those bespoke commission threads anymore either.

Some of my favorite threads years ago would be someone posting something random, and then a bunch of guys chimed in -- and out that, some interesting things would be posted. It was more about the quality of the posters before and the community; less about whether the first post that was published was interesting.

I mean, the last discussion we had on there was whether Eidos is an Italian brand. Caustic Man's thread is about the seven stages of classic dress.