• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey didn’t there used to be this dude that posted on here... @agvs who has that floral jacquard coat?

On a separate note, I understand how you feel about grail pieces but I find that many times the hunt is more exciting than actually owning the item.

I want to be happy with what I have already but eventually I get bored with wearing the same stuff (even if it was something I spent a long time tracking down) and I always end up going after some other “grail”..

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find that many times the hunt is more exciting than actually owning the item

Unfortunately, the burgeoning field of happiness research seems to confirm this — friends, experiences, and small, daily gifts to yourself appear to be the best route.

Or being so rich that a pair of $800 boots qualifies as your small daily gift. :)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kind of want. Bianca Chandon x Crescent Down Works.

BC CD.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A close to verbatim conversation that I just had with the CS rep at a company:
Background: I called the company since the order showed still "awaiting shipment", on an order I placed on the 7th, in response to an email from the marketing department that that was the last day to get personalized plates for the headphone:

Me: "I was calling to inquire about an order, which was placed on the 7th, for Christmas delivery. The order number is X"
CS: (after some looking up of things): "Oh, you ordered 3D personalization. That usually take 11-15 days."
Me: "I know, that's why I ordered in the 7th, which you advertised it as the last day to get the personalization in time for Christmas"
CS: "I dunno how you got that email. It usually takes 11 to 15 days"
Me: "I got the email from you guys. That's why I ordered on the 7th, when you sent out that email."
CS: (checks again) "Well, your shields are not ready, it usually takes 11 to 15 days."
Me: "Well, I need the order for Christmas, since they are a gift for my daughter."
CS: "Well, they usually take 11-15 days. That was too late."
Me: "Well, that's when your company sent out a schedule for delivery before Christmas."
CS: "I dunno how you got that email."
Me: "From your marketing department. Anyway, can we work this out? I really need these for Christmas."
CS: "I guess that I can send them (the headphones) without the shields, and send the shield later."
Me: "Yeah, that would be great. When could you get them out to me?"
CS: "I'll send them out today, or maybe tomorrow, probably?"
Me: "So, at latest, tomorrow?"
CS: "Yeah, probably."
Me: "Hmmm... what service will you use?"
CS: "USPS, the usual"
Me: "Oh, I meant, will it be priority, expedited?"
CS: "I dunno, the usual. Just the standard method."
Me: "Okay, thanks. So, today or tomorrow then? Thanks. And send the personalized shield later?"
CS: *Click*

So.... I ordered a backup pair from Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon (aka robots.)

tldr: People are incompetent. Check on your packages.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- captoe boots are garbage and for the most part make you look like you're a fuckin' dweeb that just went on reddit to ask what to buy your first pair of boots so that girl in chem 2 might start calling you daddy, or that you are a person who uses pet names like uncle and nephew and daddy on the internet

- i have done tons of farm work in Vis Virgils, and I still stand by the fact that they are the most comfy things I've ever put on my feet. The leather sole really helps with sweat in my experience, whereas I've had problems with nikes and sneakers. In general, I prefer the feel of boots on my feet, because it makes me feel like a grown ass man who is ready for work / outdoors life / invading Poland while I type ****** opinions on the internet or walk .2 miles to buy hand creme at Target

- most fashion reviews of garments / boots can really be truncated to like, 4 sentences. 1-its design is dope/cool/rad/terrible/ugly, 2-it is built nicely/not so nicely, 3-wow, fabric/leather/whatever or nay, fabric/leather/whatever, 4-fun fact about its history or terrifying connections to nazi germany

- i currently own 4 long engineered garments shirts. 3 are kurtas and 1 is a weird sleepy gown looking thing with pockets? looks like pajamas. anyways, long shirts are ******* cool and make me look more ethnic, so I'm really playing that card and people in the non-profit world are eating it up. you can literally hear non-profit boners *pop* as i wear a kurta and talk about past immigrant traumas

- i wish there was an accurate way to depict colors in product photos. i purchased a beanie i thought was redish orange, maybe like a coral, turns out, it's pink as ****. or salmon, as ross would call it. i can't return it because i wore it out because in certain lighting it looks ok, but in 95% of other lighting it looks salmon, so now it looks like i bought a ***** hat from the women's march and am still continuing to wear it. not that there's anything wrong with that, just that it's a ******* stupid color.

- it is sad when you are going to buy a thing and then that thing is sold out and you can no longer find it. so you search for it every day on yahoo auctions japan, and it never shows up. and your friends ask you if you're ok, and you say yes, but deep down inside you know that you're really not ok and you really, really would be happier and more fulfilled if you had just bought that kapital tsugihagi cardigan. but now you might never know what it's like to be wrapped in a gorgeous patchwork japanese farmboy knit, just like you'll never feel the warmth of an engineered garments reversible aw14 floral jacquard coat. you stare longingly outside the train window. what's that in the distance? could it be? could it really be a aw11 white mountaineering viella jacket in brown or navy, size 1? No, it's not. It's a single clark's desert boot, taunting you with its bizarre number of eyelets and college campus ubiquity.

That pretty much sums up what I was going to post, except you left out that best denim care is to only soak gently in a bath of the tears of a repentant sinner. Oh, and don't forget to turn them inside out!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Hey didn’t there used to be this dude that posted on here... @agvs who has that floral jacquard coat?

On a separate note, I understand how you feel about grail pieces but I find that many times the hunt is more exciting than actually owning the item.

I want to be happy with what I have already but eventually I get bored with wearing the same stuff (even if it was something I spent a long time tracking down) and I always end up going after some other “grail”..

I have literally never felt this way, perhaps many of you are on this forum for the wrong reasons?

And lol @ expecting boots to stand up to rebar.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to like what I wear always but it just doesn’t happen for me. I’ll be good for a year or two with the same stuff and then I’ll get bored and wanna try something different.

And yeah, even with jawnz there’s always going to be something cooler, or a different style that you get into...

How many of us still dress the same way as we did even 3 years ago?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I subscribe to the practice of buying and upgrading the same things. So in principle I feel yes I dress the same as 3 years ago. Refining the pair of pants to get that ideal fit, upgrading the Uniqlo basic to something premium. For some who strictly follow a few or even just one designer i imagine aesthetic has not changed a whole lot.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe @dieworkwear has something to say about those who appreciate nice clothes versus enthusiasts.

Sometimes you just also want clothes that you can just wear and not look like you walked out of a museum. Just look at @jet how far he's gone, Uniqlo basics nowadays but he still appreciates the nicer things as well as all the goods he has stowed away.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Last edited:

John L

Reaction score
Wearing what you want is a weird thing.

I'm not usually a self-conscious guy but I bought a pair of suede side-zips while finishing up studying for the bar last year (stress buy) that I wore maybe twice until two weeks ago -- I thought that they were maybe a too little over the top and, frankly, I was worried what the people I interact with at work might think (clients, judges, other attorneys etc.).

A week ago we had our first snow and I had one of those "*******" days. Since then, I've worn them to court multiple days in a row.

Wardrobes are in flux but, at the same time, so is our perception of ourselves and our concern as to others' perception.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no different than picking furniture, sometimes it's nice to burn it all down and start over, sometimes is nice to just rearrange the stuff you've already got and maybe add or takeaway one or two things.

i think if you do different things in life some rotation is in order. the world changes too. it's okay to squeeze the balloon a bit.

you could look at grail hunting as one big quest, not really a series of little ones. ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads