• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Have you tried Rosettes Aqua Ceramide Gel? Its an awkward name because translation, but in NYC I just pick it up from my local asian grocery store. Im also pretty sure its on amazon. Its lighter than Cetaphil (which I like, but is super heavy), but may cause cystic acne if CeraVe gives you problems (it gave my sister cystic acne).

If you really want to go hard, my sister who has bad eczema uses Hada Labo Hyaluronic Lotion, which has solved all her eczema issues. She uses it with some facial masks as recommended in the Amazon review, but says it isnt really necessary unless your skin is really messed up.

Thanks brother, I don't have any serious skin issues it's clear for the most part. All this stuff is diet related so unless you're eating clean with fruits and veggies while reducing sugar consumption you're not getting to the root of the problem which is internal. I've been doing mild detoxes for a couple of months now and my skin is looking better than before. I think people don't realize that their skin is a barometer of their health. You might consider taking zinc, vit C, probiotics and omega 3s.

i'm 30 and have a variety of skin issues (eczema, rosacea, occasional acne, etc) that began in my mid 20s and have unfortunately gotten worse. over the years i've probably tried two dozen brands ranging from cetaphil and cerave (both cheap) to ren and malin+goetz (both expensive). what i currently use is a la-roche posay cleanser (mid-priced, at least in australia) once a day and their toleraine moisturiser morning and night. you don't want to cleanse excessively, and the moisturiser on your face should be fragrance-free at a minimum if you have anything even approaching sensitive skin. a dermatologist recommendation isn't always the gold standard either: i've been to four in my life due to various moves across the country and each recommended drastically different products/medication/treatment.

edit: re: your hands, this is one of the very few areas where i don't have skin issues. if $ is a concern then i would just get some sorbolene by redwin or something. it shouldn't be greasy if you only use a minimal amount and allow it to absorb sufficiently.

See above. You should also consider vitamins along with diet changes. People aren't eating enough mono and polyunsaturated fats and the myth of the low fat diet era is coming to an end.

I have all sorts of skin issues in the winter and my hands are especially dry in the winter, and I am very sensitive to heavy petroleum based products such as cetaphil and cerave, lubriderm, etc.

Over the years I have found that Clarins Men Active hand cream works miracles. it is moisturizing but it is not sticky and does not leave a weird feel when you shake hands with others. It is a bit on a pricey side, but by no means in the La Mer terrritory and is available in most decent pharmacies.

http://www.clarins.ca/en/clarinsmen-active-hand-care/C070400004.html

Thanks for that tip man I may try it out or say **** and just go the La Prairie route. Seriously though I've taken a couple high doses of quality vitamin C and increased my salt intake and my hands are starting to heal up already.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd give Bene's rec a try next. Healthcare makes for some serious dry skin and it's gonna be odorless cuz hospital setting.

Have you tried O’Keeffe’s Working Hands?

Melbush

Reaction score
It's probably a long shot but anyone living in Shanghai here?
I need to get a wool knit sweater repaired and the sleeves of a leather jacket shortened and I don't really know where to go.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dapper Dan is reopening his shop later this year, with the help of Gucci.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/fashion/dapper-dan-gucci-partnership.html?mcubz=3&_r=0

Gucci put up a new (well a month old) billboard featuring Dapp on 125th & Lenox

25438611_10156100092685086_3361931782114918985_o.jpg

He was on Conan about a month ago

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg *********** pooch on a custom order of mine, so I kind of wrote them off. But they're well made. Yeah I'd say they're different than Aldens for sure. Heavy, with a wide welt. Not good for big feet.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tried O’Keeffe’s Working Hands?

I bought that on Amazon and frankly, I don't understand how anybody uses it. It feels like it coats my hands with a layer of plastic or silicone and leaves my hands feeling sticky and gross. I just tried it again to see if I was remembering right and yes - same thing. I have to wash it off before I feel safe touching my phone or laptop, or eating for that matter.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Instead of thinking about how you can slim the jacket down, think about how you can get fatter. Maybe start a carb heavy diet and drink a bunch of sodas.

I was thinking the same, but something more positive. It’s annoying how tall people can fill out or put on mass and still look better...

Maybe just add some mild lifting if you’re not doing that already.

I remember someone thought I was being mean when I suggested he keep his old, pre-weight loss clothes instead of selling them, but...you know. Time and statistics are not on our side. (I spent a lot of money slimming things down — now I’m checking into whether those same coats can be unslimmed). :violin:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought that on Amazon and frankly, I don't understand how anybody uses it. It feels like it coats my hands with a layer of plastic or silicone and leaves my hands feeling sticky and gross. I just tried it again to see if I was remembering right and yes - same thing. I have to wash it off before I feel safe touching my phone or laptop, or eating for that matter.

I have oily skin, so any lotion is greasy to me. My wife loves that stuff, though. And Eucerin.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember someone thought I was being mean when I suggested he keep his old, pre-weight loss clothes instead of selling them, but...you know. Time and statistics are not on our side. (I spent a lot of money slimming things down — now I’m checking into whether those same coats can be unslimmed). :violin:

Wish someone gave me that advice before it got to the point where I was rotating two pairs of pants.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Viberg *********** pooch on a custom order of mine, so I kind of wrote them off. But they're well made. Yeah I'd say they're different than Aldens for sure. Heavy, with a wide welt. Not good for big feet.

I get it, I just feel like they’re more a hyped up brand sort of like supreme or yeezy.

beepbop

Reaction score
I get it, I just feel like they’re more a hyped up brand sort of like supreme or yeezy.

Wouldn't say they have that type of hype behind them. Their website makeups short of uncommon colored shell cordovan don't sell out that quickly. The resale market on them has largely stagnated as well. Vibergs definitely do not move for any sort of premium over retail price.

They're more or less well-made boots and shoes in interesting leathers from a company that's willing to experiment and develop new lasts, patterns, and models.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Viberg is just an incredibly well-made version of a very basic and useful boot. Service boots are to workwear what boat shoes are to prep. And a lot of guys like workwear because it's neutral in terms of geography and lifestyle. It's really easy to wear. And whether you do a basic or more unique version of workwear, service boots can be useful.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you are thinking of the visvim boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads