Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

[​IMG]

This is so good

2. DLester

DLester Senior member

yeah, I would put the 2015 girl in black lululemon type leggings and athleisure top. The rest of it is pretty good.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

3. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

Growing up in the 90s I remember thinking that the fashions of the previous couple of decades, the 80s and 70s, were pretty wild/weird but looking back now, the 90s were actually as bad as things ever got. the 1995 guy in that video looks horrible and I have to admit that both I and several people I know resembled that look to some degree during that time.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Yeah. The Lim stuff reminds reminds me of this weird combo of Helmut/Dries with his own signature stuff. The bombers and coats are all sick, esp that oversized top coat with the interior funnel neck

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Fun video. Small nit pick, but I don't like how it kind of suggests this same person would wear those different outfits through those decades. After WW2, you had a huge explosion in sportswear, which allowed people to adopt all sorts of different identities. So while it's true those looks were part of those decades, they were worn by very, very different types of people.

Same with the Ed Hardy/ Rocawear stuff conceptual 4est mentioned above. Was that person really the kind to later get into Americana? Seems like very different groups.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Looks more '13 than '15, those rolled up boyfriend jeans were very popular a couple years ago.

7. StanleyVanBuren

You're missing the point -- I mean, you don't actually think there is an unaging average 25-year old dude that exists, right? The reality is that most men will adopt a certain style at a formative age and more or less stick with it from then on (see, eg Ask Andy About Trad). So no, the guy who wore Ed Hardy in 2005 probably didn't or hasn't made the jump to Americana. You do still see some of these bros around -- they're older now though. So in each case in the video, the template is "what does the average 25-year old dude coming of age in this decade gravitate towards in terms of style."

8. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

@LA Guy once told me that men dress for the rest of their lives, the way that they did at whatever point in their life they were "really getting laid"

Which sounds about right tbh (apologies if you didn't actually say that and it was someone else)

9. dieworkwear

Yea, I don't think "average 25-year old dude" is a meaningful category. I think that segment of the US is much more fragmented than the video suggests.

At least post WW2.

10. StanleyVanBuren

Yeah I've heard it put as "Dads dress in the style of the last best year of their life"

11. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

What about the rest of us?

12. dieworkwear

Here's a case in point: for the type of 25-year old guy who might be on StyleForum today (either white or Asian male, middle class background, probably holds a BA or even advanced degree, living in or near a metropolitan area) -- he might be wearing Urban Outfitters in 2005 and then Americana in 2015. But he would never be the type in Rocawear (which was mostly a black, lower-income, inner city thing) or Ed Hardy (which was typically white, lower education status, probably suburban guy).

Just look at your classmates when you were in high school or college. If you filter by socio-economic background, and even discount ethnicity, you have a ton of different identities. Those people dress according to their identities. Jocks, nerds, or whatever else.

Those looks become iconic for those decades because pop culture shined a light on them (TV shows or movies might highlight Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones or some guidos on Jersey Shore), but that doesn't mean those looks were adopted by "average 25-year old guys" cause that category is too diverse to be meaningful.

13. StanleyVanBuren

now you're just being pedantic

it's an entertaining video that by its very premise is making a broad generalization. do you recognize the styles they are portraying as being or having been prevalent to some degree or another during the time period they reference? yes? ok

there's always going to be a median. just because others are doing different things doesn't make it any less so.

14. DLester

DLester Senior member

sort of depressing if u think about it....

15. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

related to all this, I've been going through a lot of http://lewisapon.com/ lately and have been feeling vaguely previous level.