Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Just made a killing at uniqlo on stretchy polo shirts, see y'all on the other end of the dark tunnel of forbidden fashion

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

uniqlo also sells sketchy polo shirts. they're kept in a rusty metal box above the polo shirt rack and you need an SA to unlock it for you

3. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Heey, how does sizing generally run for pre-wang Balenciaga outerwear? Anyone own a piece or two?

5. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Tiny, with narrow shoulders and typically very trim sleeves. I've tried on a lot of it, and owned one jacket, and always had to go up a size to 48 and even then the sleeves were SNUG, and I have no arm muscles.

Unless of course the piece looks deliberately oversized

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Man, watching Entourage just e-affirms and solidifies my belief that the oughts were a sartorial wasteland. Horrible, just horrible. And so vague. Like I can think of an 80s fit, a 90's fit, and then I try to remember what people wore in the 2000's, and I draw a blank. Was it so bad we blocked it out?

7. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Thnking back...early 2000's were a mix of hip hop shirts, Diesel, and BAD vintage (shit from thrift shops, thinking I looked good when I tired to be different. It was just straight up bad. Think Blackalicious tee, capri cargo pants and a mother effing Dracula medallion. And flared denim. WHY), 2003-2006 were the major Hypebeasty years (match your tees with your shoelaces everyone! It's cool!), then rounded out the 2000's with Americana and Prep. So for me, the first half of the 2000's were a nightmare. Then Engineered Garments swooped in and saved my life

8. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Funny you mention this. I was watching Usher's Burn music video today and noticed he was wearing a Y-3 Jacket. (Can be seen around the 2:10 mark) It got me thinking about how people dressed back then. Usher was actually pretty conservative for those times. He's wearing washed selvedge, albeit boot cut, jeans and Stan Smiths in the Confessions Pt. 2 video as well.

I've always wondered if we will see 2000's style become popular again. Especially considering we are admist a 90s revival.

9. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

This is train of thought so apologies for the incoherence:

I think there are a bunch of things that will be remembered as distinctly 00's in another 10 years or whatever. Thinking about only the mainstream stuff, think Juicy Couture, Christian Audigier stuff like Von Dutch hats and Ed Hardy, the rise of designer jeans / jeans with pocket embroidery / just the rise of expensive jeans in general. It was also the dawn of the "metrosexual" and everything else that went along with that so it's where we got the square toed shoes with striped shirt. We may still reference that now to take a dig at less fashionable guys but in reality, do you actually see this anymore? Probably not. That TV show Jersey Shore closed out the decade and I think that sort of killed that Going Out Bro look from the mainstream.

Also sometime early on in the decade was that hairstyle for guys where it's short but you flip up the front of it with gel.

Another camp would be like air force 1's or Timbs, some rocawear / enyce / whatever, and then the evolution of that in the later part of the decade was I guess the whole matching Nikes to your fitted to some other element of your outfit.

You had the rise of the "emo kid" or proto-hipster or whatever with tight thrifted graphic tees promoting like Boise Idaho Dairy Farmers union or whatever, worn with low rise girls jeans most likely (since you couldn't buy skinny jeans for guys in 2003), which by 2007 just sort of turned into the hipster that we all recall with the deep v and proper skinny jeans.

Trendy people by the end of the decade were already well and true into Americana but it probably wasn't until the turn of the decade that it was a truly mainstream thing. You didn't see flannel shirts in the early 00's. It was only in 06 or so that a few trendy Americana types that were paving the way for all of that.

It's easy to forget about this stuff because in your mind you can look around and still see people wearign the remnants of this, but it isn't as universally wide spread as it was. Some stuff endures of course, because a lot of people don't let go of how they dressed in their youth. Other things just endure past the trend cycles like the aforementioned Air Force 1's and wheat timbs but they aren't on every single persons feet with rappers still name dropping them, and they aren't worn with the same sort of look.

10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

I think these guys got it more or less correct:

[​IMG]

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

dunno about the denim on the 2015 girl

12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

FW seasons of Phillip Lim, OAMC and AMI all look awesome.

13. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

I have mixed feelings about those videos. Cool but definitely like not "definitive". Like a very small percent of the population in the 50's wore leather jackets and t-shirts.

Also that guy definitely needs a longer jacket in almost all of those. Comically short.

edit: I'm sure dieworkwear could speak to this a lot better than I could.

14. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

plenty of nits to pick but if we're talking in broad generalizations, like I said, it seems "more or less correct"

the only decades I really consciously lived through are the last three and my experience is that while not everyone dressed in such a way, each of those looks was pretty prevalent in my life during the applicable timeframe

15. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Yeah for sure. Fun to watch as well.