• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you compare them to the feel of Schneider winter knits with respect to hand and thickness? They seem like comparable quality but cheaper

Does Schneider make Shetland sweaters? That seems like a very non-Schneider material. I have a couple of Schneider sweaters and they're all very plush and soft. Shetland is prickly and harsh. Actually one of my favorite types of sweaters, but it's not very Schneider-y.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Schneider make Shetland sweaters? That seems like a very non-Schneider material. I have a couple of Schneider sweaters and they're all very plush and soft. Shetland is prickly and harsh. Actually one of my favorite types of sweaters, but it's not very Schneider-y.

I don't think he has used Shetland but he does have course alpaca

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think he has used Shetland but he does have course alpaca

Alpaca can be kind of itchy against the skin, but it's a lot softer and silkier than Shetland. Anyway, Schneider knits feel like apples to oranges when it comes to Shetlands. Shetland doesn't have a "luxurious" feel. It's coarse, scratchy, and very traditional feeling. Howlin makes them up into contemporary designs, but it's traditionally a very CM-y sweater. Usually plain or cable knit. The kind of thing you'd find at Brooks Brothers or J. Press sort of thing. I like them a lot. Good for scrambling on scree.

You can see one on Charlie (Chris O'Donnell, the young dude) here in this Scent of a Woman scene.

Last edited:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howlin' makes an okay shetland. I think I have the birth of cool or whatever their crewneck is called. Pills like crazy but other than that pretty basic.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howlin' makes an okay shetland. I think I have the birth of cool or whatever their crewneck is called. Pills like crazy but other than that pretty basic.

Thanks for your help! I'll see if anything makes it to sale to try it it seems like you weren't very happy but not very upset or let down either

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a guy who dresses really well in that Scandinavian, modern minimalist way -- or really, anything contemporary -- but is also into watches?

Already know about Greg from NMWA, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a guy who dresses really well in that Scandinavian, modern minimalist way -- or really, anything contemporary -- but is also into watches?

Already know about Greg from NMWA, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You are looking for a watch recommendation?

Nomos?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are looking for a watch recommendation?

Nomos?

Not looking for a watch personally, but doing a post about watches and would like to interview someone who likes watches, but dresses in a more contemporary casulwear way (Schneider, Robert Geller, Scandinavian minimalist type stuff).

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not looking for a watch personally, but doing a post about watches and would like to interview someone who likes watches, but dresses in a more contemporary casulwear way (Schneider, Robert Geller, Scandinavian minimalist type stuff).
Oh got it. No suggestions there. Sorry.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where do you sell/buy streetwear now? the styleforum one is very dead compared to years ago

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good, sturdy, sling bag? Needs to be small. I want to be able to carry stuff around a city when I travel without the weight and size of a full sized messenger. Metal hardware would be preferable to plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads