• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
^ doubt they would care much, if its like any art world catalogue/publication they just reproduced an essay/excerpt alongside a whole mishmash of other stuff. i'm constantly amazed how easy it is to get clearance from publishers. does anyone buy purple to read philosophy anyway?

1) No one reads Purple...
2) Badiou positively despises Belkacem, symbolic son killing attempting to kill the father etc.
3) Yeah it is bullshit essays, sure.
4) Olivier Zahm contributed to BHL's crap magazine (that no one reads either, a pure vanity project).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guessing this HL re-release will be at the same **** quality their stuff is at now.

Supposedly the silver astro coat feels plastic-y and is made in China. I don't care about the second part so much.

Painter jeans seem hard to get wrong though. It's just denim and some paint.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I really like collaborations of designer brands with more accessible brands—I was just thinking about how the new EG x Danners are really cool and how I wanted to pick them up. I remembered that Danner Mountain Lights were one of the first pairs of footwear I owned that were more than $100 Nikes.

Sometimes, you get some really cool stuff with these collabs at good prices, and I think it's super cool to have something that is cheap that many people can buy without the designer pricetag. I wish more of this stuff was around when I was (much more) broke. I recently purchased a pair of Cabourn x Red Wings, and they're not so different from regular red wings, but there are just a handful of details from Cabourn that just makes them feel a bit more luxurious. It lines up with what a designer sees in their vision, as sort of a stamp of approval, and while maybe not as "prestigious" as collaborations with brands like Viberg or Porter or whatever, it's really cool that if you're into something, you can save up and get a piece where a brand might otherwise be out of your price comfort.

The leather selection is excellent (an oiled rough out), and the padded tweed lining is a bit unexpected but really nice. The Cabourn collaboration was really cool because Red Wing brought back the Munson last for it, which added a bit of history and context that was in line with the heritage branding. I don't own any other Cabourn, mostly because I think the price doesn't quite match up with what I expect in design and construction, but I'm really happy with these. I got 'em new for $300, so I was pretty happy with the pick up.

tumblr_m93wqcwZbA1rqafrjo1_1280.jpg

Red Wing x Cabourn (~$530, cheap in the grand scheme of Cabourn)

"Last week we announced the Red Wing Shoes Brogue that will be released this autumn, and just a few days later we can announce another fantastic collaboration between American and British heritage. The Munson Boot, the first collaboration between Nigel Cabourn and Red Wing.
When Nigel Cabourn found some vintage British Army combat boots from World War I he immediately wanted to replicate those boots, carefully made to exacting quality standards. And he knew Red Wing Shoes was the only manufactory who could do such a thing.
These boots are made using Munson Lasts, which haven’t been used by Red Wing since the late 1960s. The boots are lined with a beautiful army green Harris tweed selected by Nigel. The sole is made from a combination of vegetable-tanned leather and Red Wing’s original chemigum cork. The upper is made with a heavily oiled roughout leather to come as close as possible to Nigel’s vintage Army boots.
The boot is a feast of details and we could keep on talking about the army green eyelets, the extra-thick leather shoelaces, the history of the Munson lasts and so on and so on, but we better wait until we have it in our shop coming autumn. It will be amazing!"

25-10-2016_conversexnigelcabourn_chucktaylor1970s_navy_155332c_sp_1.jpg

Cabourn x Converse ($155), tweed and ventile upper, fireman buckles, ugly

nonnative-timberland-boot-buy-online-01.jpg

Nonnative x Timberland AW 17 ($310)
I really like timbs, and would get these if I didn't already own Hender Schemes and if it weren't greyish tan. Gore-tex lined and really cool.

Of course, the awesome Engineered Garments collabos that have been happening lately.

engineered-garments-vans-release-date-price-02.jpg

EG x Vans Slip on, Mismatched Suede and Smooth, (they were released for $85 in 2015, I think the price is slightly higher these days, and of course vultures have driven up the pricing of these in the 2nd hand market).

The cool thing is even on the box of the shoes it says "Engineered Garments FOR EVERYONE"

engineered-garments-doc-martens.jpg

EG x Doc Martens ($230), ghillie style lacing in a wide variety of leathers. Pretty cool and very Daiki.

http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F01%2Fundercover-vans-2017-collaboration-368-05.jpg

Undercover x Vans ($130 - $160, if you managed to get your hands on them before they were grabbed by resellers), I really liked these, pattern choices for colors were very Undercover and punky

AND of course, the very awesome Uniqlo collaborations that have come out. I've really liked them in that they were very Uniqlo, but also very in tune with the designers.

jil-sander-x-uniqlo-j-collection---fallwinter-2011--preview---4.jpg

Uniqlo x Jil

undercover-uniqlo-fall-winter-2012-uu-collection-00.jpg

Uniqlo x Undercover

lookbook_img_26.jpg

Uniqlo x Lemaire

uniqlo-x-kiminori-morishita-L-1.jpeg

Uniqlo x Kiminori Morashita (I owned a few pieces from this collaboration and they were awesome)

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
what's in vogue these days for eyewear? i'm thinking of getting new glasses

eg x vans are still 85 btw

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bernard-Henri Lévy? Gross.

Supposedly the silver astro coat feels plastic-y and is made in China. I don't care about the second part so much.

Painter jeans seem hard to get wrong though. It's just denim and some paint.

Old HL can be pretty plastic-y too. Can't say for sure but those silver astros are just coated neoprene/some other foamy thing iirc.
Had a couple black jackets from that same collection and after 20 years it's just dried flaking sticky plastic, pretty nasty. Some people are trying to flip those as leather jackets, go figure.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
what about blake kuwahara? kinda fancying the nash

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I like those sandy timbs but I can't cop the style because they're too east coast for me.

I used to rock some mountain climbing timbs with baggy cargos and hilfiger polos way back and I thought I was hard.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's in vogue these days for eyewear? i'm thinking of getting new glasses

Me too. It's all round frames, these days. Thinner frames. At least, that's what I've been seeing.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I use the Baker Matte Eclipse from Warby Parker

Fu4rchC.jpg

Nothing out there or especially interesting but they look good, and I'm a big fan of Warby Parker as a brand considering their policy of matching purchases with a donation of frames to a person/community in need, their CS, and how they treat their CS.

Here's hoping nobody comes in with warby scandals I'm unaware of.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Timbs surprisingly reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads