• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
We've met, and unless you've really changed your body type in the past few years, you shouldn't be that hard to fit. You are athletic, but not crazily proportioned. Try Prada (yes, really), or maybe Costume National. You can get some very sharp suiting that is pretty office friendly but to a more discerning eye, is definitely a little more fashion than your regular mall brands, or something from a "CM" brand.
Still the same shape, but non-separates are just not an option. E.g. Margiela suiting, a 50 jacket is quite snug up top and a 46 trouser fits comfortably. My proportions are deceptively tricky. Getting separates and then possibly altering just requires too much effort for an office uniform. Going to the Suitsupply in Zurich and playing mannequin for an hour is about as much as I can handle.

I think afixedpoint is in Switzerland, formality there is no fucking joke in some work settings, hence the discouragement as he has very few parameters to work with.
Bingo. The Swiss seem to be very process-oriented and take pleasure in their rules and regulations. Fuuma, I will probably visit Paris sometime late June, would be nice to see you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Are we going to acknowledge that the new forum is a major downgrade (aesthetically and from a utilitarian perspective) from the old mobile version?

Also this thread in particular, but also the other major "generic" threads, are essentially just an inner-circle of users jerking each other off
with a consequent narrow range of tastes, views, products, opinions expressed
None of which appeals to potential new users. And hence, these inner-circle jerkers are probably dooming the forum in the long run.

None of those users frequent, for instance, the john elliott thread, which is really the only thriving/alive part of the SW&D forum left
Im a new-ish member that is still here.

John Elliots wack though.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
I think that I'm going to give you the custom title "Crossfit"
Cool

Or just take a short trip to Milan and get a suit made for you there. The Milanese style, with the shorter skirt, in darker colors, would probably be pretty cool while being office friendly.
Taking the train to Milan next weekend. Will definitely check out the tailoring and a few of the notable streetwear shops. Also will budget plenty of time for food. As you may remember, the food in Switzerland is mostly bland and expensive. (Vegetarian fare is actually not bad)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
1) Done. Cool? Debatable.
2) I remember that there are a lot of sweets, and that there is a lot of fairly heavy food. Which, since I like hiking in Switzerland, is welcome. Everything there is expensive. Italian food ranks as some of the best in the world - I've had food in hipster indoor markets hthat in many places. would be Michelin recommended, so the comparison is unfair.
3) What shops areyou going to hit up?

10 Corso Como and Slam Jam come to mind immediately. I secretly like Stone Island despite the loud patch.

Any specific food/drink recommendations would be most welcome. Btw, are you going to be in Florence for Pitti?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Swiss love of rules drove me crazy when I moved here. Thankfully my workplace is "international". Re food, rösti is classic.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm increasingly sold out on CP Company. good stuff. the aesthetics and technical aspects work together quite sneakily.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TIL @penanceroyaltea still thinks like a high schooler :foo:

Don't worry, your boobs aren't missing!

Isn't that the case for most people as they live their life? Few people actually can define exactly what they want out of life. Most everyone just ride the waves and grumble along
Haha, ok I was more referring to jawnz than life though. But you are right I probably haven't changed much since high school - maybe I've gotten grumpier.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
what more is there to life than the eternal pursuit of john coppidge?

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am learning how to navigate the now forum.

dont know if I like it, but it is what it is.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I feel like 2011, 2012 SWD was more a whole bunch of people learning and experimenting together, some awesome/not so awesome groupthink. Not so much money to spend, but more time to burn.

More recently, esp on waywt most already know what they like, or know what to do. As a result, there's less discussion and debate. For instant gratification and affirmation, instagram is better for sure.
Ahh yes 2011, 2012 were very interesting years here since it was mainly me getting shit on for buying basic Margiela, me calling a Brad a tranny and getting into it with the homie Jet over basically anything...very entertaining era haha. It felt like back then you would go through some initiation and I think when SF got a lot nicer and everyone started to get along we lost a lot of the "I'm here for the entertainment" posters haha

No, but seriously I'm still very much in love with the concept of clothing and of course still romanticize Margiela in my own way. I used to get a lot more critiques (thanks to Fumma for at least being that guy that still gives out critiques) but since I think you guys have seen pretty much my whole wardrobe excluding some new items that I will no doubt wear the same way there is nothing much to talk about. I still come here first when I see a cool old Margiela piece or something though

Random though: I saw someone had a cream viscose knit for sale on Grailed and in the description it said "championed by RegisDB9 on SF" haha when I got that knit everyone hated it, I got like 3 thumbs haha...how time changes things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.