• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a $42 plain white tee from Buck Mason, wtf wrong with my head...

As a person who has paid four digits for a pair of dress shoes - and that's with a 50% discount - and will soon be paying off the remaining balance for a shirt that goes for close to that, nothing.

(Unless you're struggling to pay your bills, then go return that **** ASAFP. )

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've gotten that before on carrot cut pants. Tight calves on pants is definitely less uncomfortable than tight thighs on pants though.
Yeah, these are not even uncomfortable - the opposite. That said, I can't do any high kicks in these things, and it's not the thighs and crotch (roomy) that are the limiting factors, but the calves (the jeans can't possibly ride up my leg high enough for that to happen.)

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Steven Alan is going through some restructuring. the company is struggling and Alan trying to figure out the way forward

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven Alan is going through some restructuring. the company is struggling and Alan trying to figure out the way forward
Apparently going more same brand.

That is the granddaddy of all Brooklyn hipster stores, and frankly, the DNA remains intact (though at the very beginning it was a bit different) - casual, rupply, relaxed weekend clothing. Just remains to be seen whether what was a hit in say, 2003, (Louis Boston carried loads of it) can be translated into 2017 tastes. I really do hope that he makes it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I remember looking at sa shirts in 2006 and almost pulled the trigger on one, thankfully I came to my senses.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My SA stuff is very basic. I remember I looked at their stuff as an alternative to uniqlo , when uniqkis quality started to slip.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still wish I had my Needles ma-1. Burgundy with violet lining. Wore that thing to tatters.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I first saw Needles in... I want to say 2010, but it could have been a year earlier, or later, when I visited the Nepenthes showroom for the first time, to see Engineered Garments. The stuff that season was very 70s glam and disco inspired, with a lot of polyester, and one very cool pair of teal hiking boots. Same year I met the Post O'erall's designer, who was nice enough to talk to a bunch of yobos who just happened to be there.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, these are not even uncomfortable - the opposite. That said, I can't do any high kicks in these things, and it's not the thighs and crotch (roomy) that are the limiting factors, but the calves (the jeans can't possibly ride up my leg high enough for that to happen.)

I have this problem for multiple tapered pants: higher rise, thighs are comfortable, but then the calves are quite tight. When the material has some stretch it's ok and just causes the pants to ride up at the ankle after some movement (unless you go for stacks). But in rigid materials it's really annoying and limits mobility -- I ended up selling all pants like this even though one pair (Label under construction) were literally the best looking/fitting pants I've worn...standing still.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@UrbanComposition what are the boots? There's a lot you could wear them with. Do you have any Evan Kinori pants?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these Turkish slippers? Is it in bad taste to wear them if you're not Muslim? As I understand it, they're traditionally worn by Dervishes/ Sufis, but I don't know if that means they specifically hold religious meaning.

cc'ing @Fuuma since he might know.

4e9ec4ae510b632a88d8defbdc574492.jpg
il_fullxfull.297822687.jpg
il_fullxfull.297823337.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So a year of impactful life changes and winding up for the next big stage has allowed me to winnow down and discover my bare essentials -- the things I absolutely couldn't part with. Gone are the goofy tennis shoes, luxe track pants (lol), and tyvek-sleeved dress shirts. Lumpy workwear is no more. What remains:

OL super-light and unstructured blazers

EG navy cotton Bedford

EG 'beach' blazer, little Japanese wave pattern

Tan Zara knit cotton blazer (made in Italy!). Seriously.

Creep black flecked tweed fun times adventure coat

W+H anti-fit navy chinos (pull them up for business, sink them low for fun)

APC PS. Slim black jeans (H&M).

Knit ties

Vintage 80s cosplay

Uniqlo oxfords and pattern chambrays, and...

Boots. Vans slip-ons.

It's boring, but I'm happy.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these Turkish slippers? Is it in bad taste to wear them if you're not Muslim? As I understand it, they're traditionally worn by Dervishes/ Sufis, but I don't know if that means they specifically hold religious meaning.

cc'ing @Fuuma since he might know.

If you wear them without being muslamic you're a crusader infidel and will certainly face a gruesome death by raygun...

You're doing nothing more than adopting what an ascetic wears. Is that any worse than adopting what 18th century farmers or samurai or 1970s tennis players wore?

But go full steam ahead should you choose Turkish slippers
95560003-tur.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you wear them without being muslamic you're a crusader infidel and will certainly face a gruesome death by raygun...

You're doing nothing more than adopting what an ascetic wears. Is that any worse than adopting what 18th century farmers or samurai or 1970s tennis players wore?

Thanks!

That Muslamic raygun remix video is great. Incredible how many people here in the US hold similar EDL beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads