• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dyneema is such a **** fabric to wear. It’s been around so long and there’s a reason why no one actually makes clothing out of it:
-durability doesn’t matter on clothing like it does on packs
-it doesn’t breathe regardless of what anyone says about breathable dyneema, it’s more akin to old ass goretex. I’ve worn dyneema jackets and it feels awful
-lightweight savings don’t matter either
-this is marketed towards tech bros
-puffy jackets aren’t really any less durable than other garments and most people don’t live the lifestyle that would require any type of extra durability. Hell I have a uniqlo uld, which is probably the crappiest of all down fabrics I’ve felt, that has only one hole in it in 3 years of bushwhacking and snagging

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2F1FB23F-BEC1-4196-BAAD-05F70D9E4B74.jpeg

Speaking of shoes, I was elated to finally cross off Common Projects from my thrift finds. Super clean (yes), middling leather (yes), but...no branding at all, not even those little gold numbers for *if you know, you know?*

Turns out they were Old Navy (identifiable only by an obscure script deep within the insole).

$15 retail!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dyneema is such a **** fabric to wear. It’s been around so long and there’s a reason why no one actually makes clothing out of it:
-it doesn’t breathe regardless of what anyone says about breathable dyneema, it’s more akin to old ass goretex. I’ve worn dyneema jackets and it feels awful
-puffy jackets aren’t really any less durable than other garments and most people don’t live the lifestyle that would require any type of extra durability. Hell I have a uniqlo uld, which is probably the crappiest of all down fabrics I’ve felt, that has only one hole in it in 3 years of bushwhacking and snagging
I find it super comfortable and durable. I've gone to nearly all dyneema jeans (50%+) and am so glad. The jackets feel cool to the touch even close to summer.

It's very expensive though, and hard to work with - I've had a few garments custom made, and the people doing the work have needed to get special cutters for it (you can cut it with normal sheers, but it's very hard to get a clean cut), and at $25.99 a foot from the only dealer around, it's about 5-10x as expensive as even good denim. It's as expensive as very good suiting.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is SZ mostly dead these days? Was looking for their WAYWT thread and there's only something like 7 fits posted this year.

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score

do you really think a regular puffer is going to withstand even one weekend of hard scree scrambling in single digit windchill? fool

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After ******** on them in conversation with you in this forum two years ago, I got a pair of Golden Geese for myself. And... I like them.

For me, their negative image is derived, at least in part, from heavy association with a certain type of Southern California personality the likes of this, or this, or this. It's also the case that they have some truly ugly offerings - quite a few of them, in fact, as they are seemingly producing on a pretty large scale.

However, even the most gauche offering comes with a flattering silhouette - at least in the Superstars - which is why I've come around to them. They improved upon the Stan Smith by reducing the overall bulk and bulbousness of that model, accomplished by a narrower last as a well as a thick, wedge insole. I have always wanted a pair of Stans, but the last never worked for my narrow feet.

There's also appeal in the details - such as using mixed leathers on certain models (calf upper, suede tongue) or terry-cloth for the tongue lining. And, at their best, when they're not bedazzling everything, the result is pretty slick:

View attachment 1297924

View attachment 1297925

View attachment 1297926

I will acknowledge that even their more subdued branding is still pretty dumb. The inscription on the above model's tongues reads "These shoes are for skating only".

As for the distressing, this is nothing new - see Hedi, see Amiri, and, arguably, see antiquing over in any shoe thread in CM. I agree that pre-distressing can be pretty awful, and all of these brands, Golden Goose included, are responsible for some heinous violations of taste. However, I really don't mind it when executed as above.

As for comfort, I'm withholding judgment while I break in my pair.

I like the baby looking at his momma thinking wtf is wrong with you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads