• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People get killed over Jordans. No one is out here robbing you for Stan Smiths.

You’re just too young to remember. Back in the day, people were clubbing each other over the head with tennis rackets to score a pair.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait the person who said this is hard to work with?
No, Kanye is hard to work with. She basically had nothing good to say about the experience, and she is a very positive person.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(teger meant kanye, the person who said the stuff quoted immediately below--that quotation confirming that the original question had been rhetorical)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, Kanye is hard to work with. She basically had nothing good to say about the experience, and she is a very positive person.

I once asked someone with first hand knowledge how Kanye could lose money on a tour while generating eye watering revenues. So many ways, it turns out...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Been seeing a lot of fuss about recent Bottega Veneta collections, many calling it the 'new Celine' and they've also just won a few fashion awards.

But really the collections, while not bad, seem distinctly average and not particularly exciting at all? It smells of fashion fans and critics trying to fill a gap left by something they miss.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Half of it really great, the other half seems very trend driven. When it comes to all the Celine references I’m sure It helps that the designer previously worked at Celine and has said he’s a huge Philo fan (Iirc he actually said he was a “Philo-phobe”...) so it’s an easy link to make when everybody is praying for a new Celine.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Link me

Alexidb

Reaction score
I haven't kept up with things in the past three weeks, busy right now. But I just wanted to make sure that someone put baby Yoda in a Kapital Ring Coat?
4CEA3306-3754-4CDF-B5F2-A3F576A8E3E1.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a sneaker guy but recently found myself wanting a pair of jordans... nostalgia, I guess (had a pair of whatever model MJ wore at the ‘92 olympics because I remember they had no. 9 rather than 23) and there’s something I don’t understand.

It seems Nike releases a shitload of colourways nobody wants yet the original ones (which are probably what 99% people demand) they release once in a while and in low quantities.

How is this beneficial to them vs. what Adidas did with the Stan Smith, ie releasing as many as they can possibly sell of the original colourway?
Apparently the Jordan 11 space jam that released last year (I think) was over 1,000,000 pairs. Seems like they release the og color ways (bred, Chicago, blue/black) at least once a year in pretty sizable quantities. Why they don’t just have them stocked at all times has to do with the fact that the scarcity of those models drives up value for the brand and helps push the sale of less desirable models, although clearly Nike is trying to sell as many pairs as possible while still making them feel special. So they are walking a tight rope. In the past few years Nike has been releasing og Jordan’s more and more often. 10 or so years ago it was like one model once a year and people would get shot over them.

it’s interesting because I feel almost the opposite. They do release retros in OG colors all the time and in massive quantities. The 11 bred coming next week are going to flood a market where a lot of Nike customers don’t even think about whether they like a colorway or not, they just want it because it’s an original color. It bugs me TBH. Nike has been coming up with tons of great colors for retro models (often better than OG) but the “collector” mentality seems stronger than people’s own taste. They barely look at them, they want them because they’re OG colors.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my particular case I don’t really care whether the colourway is original or not. I like the original ones precisely because they’re kinda boring i.e. they didn’t really need to go crazy to come up with a unique look at that time. And it’s not just about the colours, also materials.

If I go to the Nike store I can’t find any Jordan 1 that meets all these criteria:

- no patent leather
- no suede
- no prints
- no monochrome
- mids or hi tops

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This exchange has reminded me that I'd been curious about when the word "colorway" became widespread. I don't remember hearing the term at all when I was growing up--or even in college (in the late 90s). The historical usage examples in the Oxford English Dictionary suggest that it's a mid-twentieth-century coinage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads