• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the bolded points are super important. So often, guests are in the "sell" zone, and it's like being at a political briefing - you may as well just have handed out notes.
Getting guests relaxed is hard enough; getting them to relax their guard is even harder. Everyone feels safe behind the keyboard, and I’ve seen some hilariously damning drunk posts here that never get deleted, but put a hot mic on someone...

Note to self: get all guests drunk.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok but op-eds are basically ce commentary like seemingly every other article etc. isn't all media more or less opinion these days?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
ok but op-eds are basically ce commentary like seemingly every other article etc. isn't all media more or less opinion these days?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did someone say all media is opinion? Styleforum articles would like a word with you

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
corporate lunch is fun but I do sometimes wish they were a little less uhhh.. credulous I guess. like it's nice they talk about things they're enthusiastic about but I do wish they'd approach things with a little more skepticism, irony, or whatever

happyriverz

Reaction score
So I was right: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/10/16/20916167/succession-costume-designer-interview

How much of your job is spent picking out vests?
Matland:
[Laughs.] Are you talking about “Argestes?” I would love to take credit for all those vests and say I created the image of what these tech geeks wear; these multimillion-dollar boys. But, the reality is, this is what these gentlemen wear when they go to these conferences. For example, Tom is wearing a Moncler puffy vest that’s very iconic.

Schwartz: There are a couple of iconic photos of Jeff Bezos all puffed up for the Sun Valley Conference.

Matland: But for Kendall, his is a Cucinelli.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of podcasts, what’s the probability that Lane listens to Ben Shapiro?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good podcasts:

Hidden Brain
Radiolab
NYT The Daily
NPR Politics
I listen to the first and the last. Don't love the NYT one, and haven't ever tried Radiolab. I have listened to Ben Shapiro, but find his voice annoying. I've also listened to Ezra Kline, and found him similarly annoying. I would bet the $20 I have right here that both of those guys raised their hands excessively in college classes to make a point starting with the word "actually" or "More precisely". Full disclosure, I have a connection to at least one of these guys.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I listen to the first and the last. Don't love the NYT one, and haven't ever tried Radiolab. I have listened to Ben Shapiro, but find his voice annoying. I've also listened to Ezra Kline, and found him similarly annoying. I would bet the $20 I have right here that both of those guys raised their hands excessively in college classes to make a point starting with the word "actually" or "More precisely". Full disclosure, I have a connection to at least one of these guys.

I hope it’s to the taller one

Last edited:

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are ‘slim fit’ button downs out of style? I went to j crew to get some basics, shirts etc after wearing 90s polo / tommy all summer. I’m over that and want to go back to my more business casual with some Engineered Garments sprinkled in...
Anyways I got some slim fit button downs but feel kinda douchey in them..

This is one of them, does it look too small?

9D6286F4-87B6-4814-937F-8B10ACEC19E6.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads