• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was actually shopping ebay last night for my costume...

View attachment 1256206

Debated actually buying a pair of Vuarnets but I went with some cheapies from Zenni Optical instead.

This costume is only good if it’s a couples costume. Otherwise you just end up looking like you love to listen to Vampire Weekend.

Bottom tier Costume: pun costumes

Low tier costume: Wes Anderson and other taste-culture signaling costumes

Mid tier costume: gender bending costumes (like @dieworkwear dressing up as mulan)

Top tier costume: cult horror (lots of effort), the thing, pinhead, candyman

God tier costume: sexy gourd

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in costumes that I don't have to wear contacts or shave to do, which is a surprisingly limited pool...

To me bottom tier is anything bought whole at a store, but maybe that's a given.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in costumes that I don't have to wear contacts or shave to do, which is a surprisingly limited pool...

To me bottom tier is anything bought whole at a store, but maybe that's a given.

Dress up in whatever way makes you happiest :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This costume is only good if it’s a couples costume. Otherwise you just end up looking like you love to listen to Vampire Weekend.

Bottom tier Costume: pun costumes

Low tier costume: Wes Anderson and other taste-culture signaling costumes

Mid tier costume: gender bending costumes (like @dieworkwear dressing up as mulan)

How about race-bending costumes?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol of course it would be you who would say something like this
Well, of course, but it's still a bit of a needless killjoy statement. In terms of holidays that have become the most detached from their origins, American Thanksgiving has got to be the amongst the most detached, aside from Canadian Thanksgiving. Canadian Thanksgiving has been explicitly associated with fall harvest - teachers even give that explanation for why it's before American Thanksgiving.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like cm guys who try to pass as italian?
I'm going to go a step further, and dress as Simon Crompton - so, an Asian trying to pass as an Englishman trying to pass as Italian.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, what you're saying is, you can go as either a lumberjack bro circa 2011, or maybe @zissou

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dunno about that "top tier costume" category. It seems nearly too obvious to be anything above basic. I mean, it does mean that you are a Hallowe'en nerd, but the concept seems super basic to me.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what you're saying is, you can go as either a lumberjack bro circa 2011, or maybe @zissou

Or Walter White! But yes I find myself having to compromise on either the glasses or the shaving most years.

I did do a lumberjack costume one year, but I wore suspenders and a bra. Bra shopping was surprisingly(?) awkward.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or Walter White! But yes I find myself having to compromise on either the glasses or the shaving most years.

I did do a lumberjack costume one year, but I wore suspenders and a bra. Bra shopping was surprisingly(?) awkward.
I don't know your size either, but also, hard. Try finding a 40AAA or 42AAA

Coffandcig

Reaction score

Captain Spaulding

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads