• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The loudest show I ever saw was Dinosaur Jr. At the first guitar sound my auditory experience just turned to static fuzz. I was up front enough for Lou Barlow to see me suffering, and he tossed me the earplugs out of his ears. Years before, a quarter stick of dynamite had exploded in the campfire over which I was warming my hands. These are the two loudest sounds I've ever heard. A friend told me she witnessed a city bus drive over a magic marker on the pavement, and the sound was so loud her ears rung. Crazy.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tinnitus sucks. Had it for years.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was traveling and still working I had to work very late nights. At like 3 am during the dead quiet of night it sounded like a damn dial up modem was in my ear, so much buzzing and ringing. It's awful.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude same. I was an idiot in my youth and saw Floor and Sleep without earplugs.

Yup. Saw sleep last year and definitely glad I had earplugs. Drone/stoner metal especially plays loud.

Not using earplugs is like smoking cigarettes when you’re a kid. Everyone tells you to not do it but you do it anyways because you’re an idiot or you think you’re cool (most likely both).

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know cut I wear earplugs now. I forgot them for alesso and the entire time was like **** I'm ******* myself over

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve found Soundgarden more compelling on recent review than I ever did at the time. Like he drummer in particular. Pretty nice haircut.
I listened to them again when Cornell killed himself and liked them a little better than I did back in the day as well.

There is a statue of Cornell outside the Pop Culture museum in Seattle.

Not sure how the subject came to this but of the big 4 Seattle bands that rose to the top in the 90s I always favored Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I listened to bad morotfinger and superunknown dozens of times. I remember Chris Cornell hung himself during the month i was on paternity leave. The event especially saddened me because it seemed like he got past the problems and was going to be around for a while. I wholeheartedly expected to go see them live. Ever since then i have made attempts to go to the shows of majority of musicians i like. You never know with age and metal wellness who may not be around, gotta appreciate it while it's there. FWIW Cornell was and still is my favorite voice in rock music.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only wear menswear earplugs.

I have a pair from Nigel Cabourn modeled after something Edmund Hillary wore during his ascent up Everest.

My Saint Laurent earplugs are too thin for my earholes. But that's how I like em.

My Kapital earplugs are cobbled together from 10 different types of other ear plugs.

My Engineered Garments earplugs come in mismatched colors. The left earplug has a small pocket.

My Vetements earplugs are just foam rollers. They also cost a billion dollars, but I'm willing to pay for them because I get the joke.

My Cucinelli earplugs are beige and made from cashmere.

My Rick earplugs come in DARK DUST. They're also hairy.

My Margiela earplugs are made from steam-bent paperclips. They're also all-white.

My J. Crew earplugs were 40% off.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope your Cucinellis are also lined with cashmere.

(10) or is it (0), I bring them with me whenever I go out. One night of crazy loud is not worth long term hearing loss. I already lost the top range from being a stupid 20-something.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't comment on the Spin Doctors, but there's no shame in Soul Asylum. I saw them at CBGB in 1988 and it was the loudest show I've ever been to - my ears were ringing for about 48 hours after. And in fact, that freaked me out enough that I vowed to walk out of any show that loud again if I couldn't find a quiet place in the venue, and I have done so.

Ah nice, my first show was Soul Asylum. Cracker opened for them.

Yeah dude, my ears were ringing too

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah nice, my first show was Soul Asylum. Cracker opened for them.

Yeah dude, my ears were ringing too

Would love to see Cracker

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was about the time — right around the dawn of Friends — that clothes started sucking hard, and music went from alternative to “alternative”. A truly dark period.

Yeah. I remember talking with a friend from Manchester, England, around 1992, and he was going ballistic for this new band called "Nirvana." I tried to explain about the SST bands, and the Replacements/Husker Du/"college rock" stuff. I never understood why Nirvana seemed to mark some kind of turning point. Go listen to "Black Diamond"-era Replacements or any Pixies song and tell me that Nirvana was doing something different.

(I have zero nostalgia for any 90s band. Although, to be fair, Soundgarden put out some great power pop, and Nine Inch Nails is better than you remember.)

And yeah, those bands live were ear-crushing. Husker Du in particular was just brutal but tons o fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics