• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how can you make fashion sustainable fundamentally (not question that we shouldn't do the incremental, but bigger questions).

I mean that means one coat every 15 years? how many outwear store can survive?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Consumer sentiment shapes regulations and government policies. So it does matter. We're seeing some of this in how various parties and politicians are slowly shifting their views on gun control based on a shifting public sentiment. Let's be real, we don't vote for politicians because they propose banning plastic bags or some specific policy like that. However, when public opinion shifts, representatives take notice and shift policies (to keep their jobs).
I am about to finish watching all five seasons of The Wire. Whoa

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to finish watching all five seasons of The Wire. Whoa
tenor.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
some aggressively bad takes here. first off, what's sustainable and how does that relate to ethics? is wool more ethical because it's more sustainable than synthetic fabrics as its a naturally derived product, or is it less ethical because it requires exploiting an animal? do we judge sustainability from the fabric itself, or from the process that produces the fabric, or how durable it is, or what happens to it post-wear as it sits in our landfills? (the answer is all of the above)

the idea though that because personal purchasing pattens have limited effect vs. say, the entirety of H&M, that we should buy clothing without thought or concern is an extremely stupid sentiment, both because it promotes edgelord climate change brinksmanship fatalism that functions to remove personal responsibility ("well I can't do anything, so I might as well give up!"), and because it ignores the cumulative effect of consumer sentiment that Greg points out.

probably the best thing you can do is try to purchase clothing that is produced from durable fabrics from sources that aren't especially destructive to the environment and put together by workers paid a living wage, wear your clothing until it's worn out (or sell it through a second hand market if you no longer wear it), and try to limit consumption to what you need. the big caveat with all of this though is "if you can afford it." it's real easy for snobby white collar StyleForum posters with disposable income to talk **** about the person shopping at H&M while taking Instagram pics of an Eidos overcoat they wear twice a year.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
FWIW probably the biggest takeaway for the average SF poster isn't to buy better, it's to buy less

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it's real easy for snobby white collar StyleForum posters with disposable income to talk **** about the person shopping at H&M while taking Instagram pics of an Eidos overcoat they wear twice a year.

I don't think these are the same things. High-end clothes can be recycled through the second-hand market for years and years and years. Margiela five-zips, EG Bedfords, Rick Intarsias, Kapital Ring coat, etc have remained relevant for more than a decade. People continue to buy them on the second-hand market.

For a variety of reasons -- brand snobbery, construction quality, and trendy design -- you can't do this with cheaper Zara and H&M clothing. That's the stuff that winds up in landfills and African rag markets, not some Yohji piece. Same for a lot of stuff coveted over on the CM side of the board -- Alden shoes, bespoke suits, J. Press ties, etc.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think these are the same things. High-end clothes can be recycled through the second-hand market for years and years and years. Margiela five-zips, EG Bedfords, Rick Intarsias, Kapital Ring coat, etc have remained relevant for more than a decade. People continue to buy them on the second-hand market.

For a variety of reasons -- brand snobbery, construction quality, and trendy design -- you can't do this with cheaper Zara and H&M clothing. That's the stuff that winds up in landfills and African rag markets, not some Yohji piece. Same for a lot of stuff coveted over on the CM side of the board -- Alden shoes, bespoke suits, J. Press ties, etc.
I’d agree with this point. I also think spending a lot on clothes keeps you from spending a lot on other things resulting in less consumption. Ultimately though, having more than you need is always a sin from an emissions / conservation standpoint. Not to sound like I’m coming from on high (because I can’t).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some aggressively bad takes here. first off, what's sustainable and how does that relate to ethics? is wool more ethical because it's more sustainable than synthetic fabrics as its a naturally derived product, or is it less ethical because it requires exploiting an animal? do we judge sustainability from the fabric itself, or from the process that produces the fabric, or how durable it is, or what happens to it post-wear as it sits in our landfills? (the answer is all of the above)

the idea though that because personal purchasing pattens have limited effect vs. say, the entirety of H&M, that we should buy clothing without thought or concern is an extremely stupid sentiment, both because it promotes edgelord climate change brinksmanship fatalism that functions to remove personal responsibility ("well I can't do anything, so I might as well give up!"), and because it ignores the cumulative effect of consumer sentiment that Greg points out.p

probably the best thing you can do is try to purchase clothing that is produced from durable fabrics from sources that aren't especially destructive to the environment and put together by workers paid a living wage, wear your clothing until it's worn out (or sell it through a second hand market if you no longer wear it), and try to limit consumption to what you need. the big caveat with all of this though is "if you can afford it." it's real easy for snobby white collar StyleForum posters with disposable income to talk **** about the person shopping at H&M while taking Instagram pics of an Eidos overcoat they wear twice a year.

lol. Bro, most people don't have a background in moral philosophy and ethics. Without some type of reasonably well defined framework, it's virtually impossible to say with any degree of certainty whether one is being "virtuous" or not. At very best, you can default to some type of hybrid between a classical virtue ethics and deontological framework, but the type of consequentialist questiosn brought up here are not going to get you any clarity, simply mire you up so badly that decision making will be impossible.

Re. climate change - I suppose that I can try to engage in this discussion again, but only in CE. My take is that even the best proposals are basically choosing to sacrifice bunt in the bottom of the ninth, two out, bases loaded, when you are down by 10. Even if the best case scenario occurs, you are still fucked.
My personal belief is that this is because social justice and real mitigation of climate change are basically incompatible goals.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wonder if the rate of production and primary consumption can ever be matched by speed of the secondary market/recycling, etc...

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say a good 70% of my closet is thrifted at $5-7 per item; LVC, Gitman Vtg, Engineered Garments, Aldens, Patagonia, Norse Projects, Wallace + Barnes etc. But damn is that **** rare to come across in your size and good condition. I've must have passed through 500+ things I bought and flipped before I kept one thing for myself. It's not something I'd really recommend for anyone, unless you're like my girlfriend and somehow looks good in everything I thrift her.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that something has to be both valuable AND retain a fair deal of value for it to be used "sustainably". The category that jumps out at me right now is vintage watches, which can retain a great deal of value relative to pretty much any other luxury category. Vintage watches regularly pass through a half dozen hands. @gdl203 knows a lot more about this than do I, I think.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that something has to be both valuable AND retain a fair deal of value for it to be used "sustainably". The category that jumps out at me right now is vintage watches, which can retain a great deal of value relative to pretty much any other luxury category. Vintage watches regularly pass through a half dozen hands. @gdl203 knows a lot more about this than do I, I think.
Yeah when I was more in tune with the watch forums, I would see the same watch for sale every couple of years and would know exactly who had owned it along the way. Watch people are addicted to watches but their income doesn't allow them to have that many, so they enjoy a watch for a year (sometimes less) and sell it to fund the next shiny thing. Once in a while, a watch survives that ruthless cycle. They're called "keepers."

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering thrifting myself now that my style isn't so distinct I'd have to buy from one of two brands. I don't see anything wrong with spending money where it counts like shoes and then thrifting the rest. However, it isn't because of pseudo-intellectual reasons like "im saving the environment." I do agree with dieworkgear, that if done right, you could be making a better impact on the environment by buying high end clothing. As long as you stick to a minimalist approach where you consider how often you actually wear your clothes, and sell off the excess. I mean in the end there are 7 days in a week, how much do we really need..

We've all made frivolous decisions online or inside cheaper stores, and maybe had an impulse purchase over stuff we didn't need since it was fast fashion. It doesn't mean we are evil, and I think it's much more edgy to suggest we individually should radically shift our consumer choices when statistically we are an anomaly in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention I couldn't imagine trying to impose these views on others. Fashion always reminds me of excess and overindulgence. I think the idea of "ethical" fashion is bourgeios, since poor people don't really have the time to think about whether or not something is going to impact the environment. They just need a pair of hanes Ts. To pride yourself in buying only "ethical fashion" kind of illustrates the bubble you are living in economically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads