• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer busy loud restaurants over quiet empty ones, cuz I feel anonymous and have more privacy; I think there’s a Fitzgerald quote somewhere...

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want people to view your takes as opinions and not statements of objective fact then phrase them accordingly "they're my least favorite collab EG's done/I'm definitely not a fan personally". It's not his misunderstanding, it's your miscommunication.

I've watched people have this same back and forth for every different type of media or food or hobby for decades and you think we'd figure out how to just say things as an opinion if it's meant as an opinion.

As far as Hokas go, I've seen the Bondi 6 used in a couple circles for its extreme profile, either as an oversized shoe to finish a skinny leg or to visually balance a very oversized fit, most commonly all black with a black colorway.

In general I agree. Not in this case however. You have to be pretty anal to interpret what the OP said as a statement about objective facts rather than his subjective point of view. He is talking about clothes, after all.

Disclaimer: Even if I didn't spell it out, the above statements are only my own subjective views and not statements about objective facts.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YMMV. It's not a question of objectivity or being wrong about something. It's my aesthetic opinion. You have a different opinion. I don't like the EG / Hoka collabs. I wear EG a lot but it isn't a religion, you know, just fashion.
Have you seen the hikers? Those are pretty damn awesome. I get if you don’t like the Clifton runners, they’re not for everyone.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds so sad, to be candid.
I'm just a pretty private person. I have a handful of close friends, and I prefer the company of one or two people as opposed to a crowd. I prefer to spend time with my wife and close friends, as opposed to a group of people. I have enough organized activity in my life that I don't feel the desire for things like game nights or whatever, which seem to be popular.

I actually like big loud restaurants since your voice is not than broadcast across the space, but that have private booths or separated tables so I don't have to be in close proximity with a bunch of strangers. This isn't new either. When I was in grad school, I used to eat at a late lunch at an Argentinian restaurant close to the shift change, and sit at the back of the restaurant so that I could see into the crowd outside but was invisible inside. I'd sometimes bring a book.

OF course I can interact with people, and I do it a fair bit, but it does take energy and it's not what I want to do most of the time, especially after a long day of work. I can't speak for anyone else, but the growth of food delivery services at least suggest that I am not alone in my preferences.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a game night guy.

I also think hokas are ugly and always feel like something else would have been better instead

Dumb/dumb

cbusguy

Reaction score
@penanceroyaltea these ones?

A4B7A105-70A3-4920-94ED-7B72668F0DE7.jpeg

I like the shape, but I wasn’t fan of the beige or black colors. I would’ve liked a light or dark gray. And I don’t like small details like the vibrant logo or the event tab. Not a big deal though.

I think people should look at different brands outside of the normal ones. There are some interesting Brooks and Saucony shoes. Some of these are vintage. They're also a good alternative to brands like spalwart and similar chunky shoes

931F3D78-CC15-4E42-91BC-BEA830736504.jpeg 058C0AC5-547D-4954-B6C5-D37D12AC5957.jpeg 5528B6A4-F4C7-4099-A251-DD597B2FFD05.jpeg 37E7BB61-5B0B-4091-9ED5-20FBDD3F00C8.jpeg 7B8DEB91-EE27-47B7-837D-5B87584C3A87.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a game night guy.

I also think hokas are ugly and always feel like something else would have been better instead

Dumb/dumb
Enjoy. Just don't be offended when I politely decline your invitation.

Not a fan of the Hokas, though I see how they fit into this particular, highly referential fashion cycle. I feel that this particular cycle is a bit different from previous ones (say, the 70s cues in the early 2000s), in that it seems highly decontexualized.

Symphony

Reaction score
If anyone has experience with Rick Owens, I need some help. I posted this in the RO thread but I think it’s a little dead right now.

1. Just bought some used creatch cargos from grailed. The user claims they're mainline. The style code is RU17S9387-CY, and all that's pulling up on the web is pod shorts. Are these fake? If so I’m gonna have to open up a PayPal case...

2. They're really faded, so I was thinking about dying them black. Has anyone dyed their RO pants before?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoy. Just don't be offended when I politely decline your invitation.

Not a fan of the Hokas, though I see how they fit into this particular, highly referential fashion cycle. I feel that this particular cycle is a bit different from previous ones (say, the 70s cues in the early 2000s), in that it seems highly decontexualized.

Would never be! Some people just don't want to be your friend or you need to offer to do something that you both can enjoy.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has experience with Rick Owens, I need some help. I posted this in the RO thread but I think it’s a little dead right now.

1. Just bought some used creatch cargos from grailed. The user claims they're mainline. The style code is RU17S9387-CY, and all that's pulling up on the web is pod shorts. Are these fake? If so I’m gonna have to open up a PayPal case...

2. They're really faded, so I was thinking about dying them black. Has anyone dyed their RO pants before?

Ricl owens is a terrible brand. Never buy from it again honestly.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Road running- Brooks Ravenna
Trail running- Saucony Perrigrine
Backpacking- La Sportiva Bushido
Retro sneaker- Brooks Vanguard
Ran two marathons in different Hokas, but after 16mi or so they just seem to get mushy and drain my energy.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you selling it or keeping it? I think any repair will ultimately be visible. I would just go with a patch. Something like what Patagonia does with worn wear.
Unsure about keeping. If I choose to sell, I'm realistic enough to not ask for too much

Took it to my local guy. $12 to patch if he has something that matches. Echoed what you said about it being noticeable

Appreciate the feedback

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads