• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

brianlzf

Reaction score
Thx for the sweatshirt recs, guys. Yeah, re: loopwheeling it seems there are only two factories still in operation? One is Merz in Germany and the other is Loopwheeler in Japan. This is from 2015, wonder if still accurate: https://www.acontinuouslean.com/2015/01/19/rarest-sweatshirts-world/
IIRC there is more than one factory in Japan making loopwheeled stuff. Loopwheeler has their own factory, there's the Kanekichi factory that many repro brands contract with, and The Flat Head has a few of their own in-house factories as well.

emptym

Reaction score
Thx for the sweatshirt recs, guys. Yeah, re: loopwheeling it seems there are only two factories still in operation? One is Merz in Germany and the other is Loopwheeler in Japan. This is from 2015, wonder if still accurate: https://www.acontinuouslean.com/2015/01/19/rarest-sweatshirts-world/
IIRC there is more than one factory in Japan making loopwheeled stuff. Loopwheeler has their own factory, there's the Kanekichi factory that many repro brands contract with, and The Flat Head has a few of their own in-house factories as well.
Interestingly, in the comments section of that Continuous Lean article, Kiya says there are/were six factories in Japan making loop wheel garments. Also, that article and Merz say loopwheel machines were used in the US till the 60s, but I have t-shirts from the 80s that are loopwheel, or sure seem like it.

Btw, Sunspel and a bunch of other places call their stuff "loopback." I wonder what that means. On the cheap side, I have a Land's End Serious Sweats sweatshirt that I like a lit. It's very thick and dense, pretty wind-resistant. Great for the Bay Area.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve a pair of pants and a hoodie. Length and fit is spot on for me. Not too slim or long. Just the right amount of slouch.

I like their T shirts FWIW.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a BR ballpark or whatever their 12oz cotton crew necks are called last winter. Returned to SandS because of long ish sleeves and body that was too slim for what I wanted. Super sturdy and well built tho. They have them in black and navy for non heather grey colors.

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to ***** about Doc Martens Made in England boots for having one of the stupidest design quirks I've experienced in footwear.

The toecap is reinforced by a piece of cloth or something like that. And it ends right at the base of the laces. They failed to snip the loose edge of the reinforcement closely enough, so when you're putting your foot into the boot this loose edge rolls over and creates a single line of contact right at the flex point of the boot. I end up with red marks right across the top of my foot every time I wear em. I've had 3 pairs of MIE docs and it's been the case in all three. They're otherwise great boots for the price, particularly the ones with Stead / Horween leather, but this one error makes them uncomfortable enough to wear that I can't justify keeping them.

On a more positive note, you tylorean fans will dig the current nanamica collab:
25426205.80.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to ***** about Doc Martens Made in England boots for having one of the stupidest design quirks I've experienced in footwear.

The toecap is reinforced by a piece of cloth or something like that. And it ends right at the base of the laces. They failed to snip the loose edge of the reinforcement closely enough, so when you're putting your foot into the boot it rolls over this loose edge and creates a single line of contact right at the flex point of the boot. I end up with red marks right across the top of my foot every time I wear em. I've had 3 pairs of MIE docs and it's been the case in all three. They're otherwise great boots for the price, but this one error makes them uncomfortable enough to wear that I can't justify keeping them.

Dude, if you were a real punk, you'd chop your toes off.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice coat! I noticed two things on the Lanvin coat I posted. It costs $2145 and the care instructions say "machine wash" which seems like a red flag to me. I don't think I could spend that much on something and then chuck it into the washer, synthetic or not!

Also, when I clicked on the Barneys link in my original post and in your quote it got hijacked by Shopstyle.com. Never noticed that before here on SF.
Dafuq. The API should go through shopstyle, but take you directly to Barney's. @admin - we need to look at this.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to Unionmade yesterday to check out their stock and while it’s full of random Kapital gear, Alden’s in big sizes, some LVC, and a ton of button ups from a brand I never heard of, there’s not much else.

Sales associate confirmed they were closing and said “if you find out why, let me know,” and sounded a little forlorn (or pissed, not sure).

I got a cool belt, and just a few hours later I see that everything’s now 70% off. I can’t complain, but still...better get what you can, while you can.

cbusguy

Reaction score
i was looking at army unifroms from the korean war because the pants i wore yesterday are m-1951 repros. i know a lot of brands (e.g., john elliot and engineered garments (balloon pants and others)) have sold pants with drawstrings on the hem. cinched or not? i like both

post-1761-0-10614100-1488811452.jpg

post-34986-0-87511800-1484104737.jpg

800px-Captain_Claxton_Ray_Lt._Green.jpg

more cowboy adjacent clothes (shearling and ranch jackets). i spoilered pictures of some jackets i did't keep, but i'm regretting it after seeing @mmmargeologist monitaly coat. i always like the idea of them, but they don't really go with any of my clothes. the ones made of corduroy or wool feel a little more wearable.

IMG-2130.jpg IMG-1687.jpg IMG-3630.JPG IMG-4967.JPG

559460000-front-pdp.jpg
jason-clarke-shearling-02.jpg
DRacerShear-MAIN1.jpg
The-Rake-Shearling-101-8.jpg

192MPMSC1651C8003-F.jpg
182073M179005_1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads