• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Gawker article had everything, which is what made it annoying and funny at the same time. Like, it's true that someone could mistake the name as being a description of the goods, which is what makes it difficult to brush off the complaints. But it's also true that most of the people who would shop there are the type of people who probably know it's about the aesthetic.

Add to this every cliche fashion complaint ever. The article stirred up all the same stuff. "Why is this so expensive?" "Who would pay this kind of money to look poor?" "Who would wear this crazy thing?" "Do these people even work in their workwear?" Every article repeated the same hair-pulling, please-kill-me-now complaint, but there were so many of them that it ended up being almost kind of funny.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that the store and all of it's stock was taken over by unionized private equity and will soon be merged with https://www.unionmadeclothing.com/.

It'll be union-made clothing combined with union-made clothing sold by union and non-union employees on unionmadeclothing dot com and not unionmadegoods dot com.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"I'm not into fashion; I prefer timeless style"

If I had a billion dollars, I'd open clothing stores across the country named after common fashion complaints.

Like, a workwear store called Who Would Pay So Much Money to Look Poor?

A tailoring shop called Why Is This So Expensive?

An outerwear store called I Live in Texas (but the stores would be in, like, Chicago).

People then can just walk around and say "Who would pay so much money to look poor?" And I'd be like "Yes, welcome!"

jtj48

Reaction score
The Gawker article had everything, which is what made it annoying and funny at the same time. Like, it's true that someone could mistake the name as being a description of the goods, which is what makes it difficult to brush off the complaints. But it's also true that most of the people who would shop there are the type of people who probably know it's about the aesthetic.

Add to this every cliche fashion complaint ever. The article stirred up all the same stuff. "Why is this so expensive?" "Who would pay this kind of money to look poor?" "Who would wear this crazy thing?" "Do these people even work in their workwear?" Every article repeated the same hair-pulling, please-kill-me-now complaint, but there were so many of them that it ended up being almost kind of funny.

It'll be a sad day if we're really losing a store that let's us lump all those complaints together. I'm brainstorming Need Supply (wait, you're telling me not everything here is strictly necessary for me to have? Those prices! That inventory! Ugh, and the customer-base!) and Mr. Porter (wait, you're telling me this isn't actually run by a porter?! Those prices! That inventory! Ugh, and the customer-base!) as successors, but the magic just isn't there.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when i watched zoolander in middle school, i thought the mugatu's latest collection inspired by the homeless was such a hilarious and outlandish satire

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hamilton Nolan was the provider of the worst takes on that site (RIP i loved gawker). it's no surprise his stance was the most basic possible against a store like unionmade. the less thought you put into his opinions the better off you'll be.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased some things from Unionmade but I surmise that they must have had a ton of leftover stock. Their website, at least from my perspective, consisted of an obscene number of basics in various shades of indigo. Like, hundreds upon hundreds of indistinguishable, indigo, repro sweatshirts. As an online consumer, I found it near impossible to differentiate between their offerings (unless I had a frame of reference, i.e., another website).

I am nonetheless sad that they are gone.

i liked to the store, and there were some really cool items every once in a while (i bought limited stuff but they are things i find myself returning to every season). but i do agree there was a lot of duplication across the site. i was also disappointed that they moved away from providing measurements and sizing info with the site redesign they did.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i watched zoolander in middle school, i thought the mugatu's latest collection inspired by the homeless was such a hilarious and outlandish satire

'Pecker' did it first, john waters is the best, also features a blind photographer ('i smell landscapes')

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads