• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Spotify only allows one stream at a time. My wife and I are always cutting the other out during the work week from our respective offices.

Spotify has a great download feature. Currently on a trip and downloaded music to play on the flight and in the rental car. No cellular connection required.

There's a spotify family plan, which is 15 bucks a month and can be used for 5 people:
https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

For promos, can't seem to find the bill right now, but I got a educational discount when I was in college that I'm still using that.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a spotify family plan, which is 15 bucks a month and can be used for 5 people:
https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

For promos, can't seem to find the bill right now, but I got a educational discount when I was in college that I'm still using that.
Plan says family members have to be at your address. Annoying but maybe easy to get around?

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plan says family members have to be at your address. Annoying but maybe easy to get around?

It's been a while, but that seems correct - you can register under one address with separate email addresses/Spotify accounts. Share spotify with my family, and we're in different states. Haven't run into any problems so far!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
05A668CB-A4E5-4150-A2C4-A4BD20ACF98F.jpeg

Okay, back to cargo pants. Did some great hiking in the Bighorns today here in Wyoming. Possibly not very stylish, but cargo shorts are insanely practical.

- do not ever carry your wallet in your back pocket on a long hike as it will eat a hole in your ass. Had this happen once. Will never happen again. Keep in buttoned side pocket.

- don’t carry keys and stuff in front pockets as it will rub you wrong as well and they could fall out. Last thing you want is making it back to your vehicle only to discover you lost your keys 10 miles and 2000ft earlier. Always keep them in buttoned side pocket. The only thing I keep in front pockets is chapstick.

- buttoned side pockets great for glass cases, trail mix, paper maps (for us old fashioned types)

- heavier stuff in daypack/camel-bak if needed

- hit the Mint Bar, famous cowboy bar and Prohibition-era hang out after cleaning up from hike. Wore Zegna linen shirt (looked like chambray or denim) and Rota cigar linen brown pants (invisible to patrons) although I thought side tabs might generate a look or question.

44490552-85B5-4BB3-B544-86C18589E459.jpeg

That is all. Sorry for going a little Facebook here but I like cargo shorts.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you wore invisible pants?
It’s a gift.

Actually it’s totally a Styleforum thing to even assume others notice your existence, let alone what you are wearing.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tidal is really nice for people who appreciate the higher quality content, Quboz is also really good. I use a combination of the two with Roon to play back.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1207590

Okay, back to cargo pants. Did some great hiking in the Bighorns today here in Wyoming. Possibly not very stylish, but cargo shorts are insanely practical.

- do not ever carry your wallet in your back pocket on a long hike as it will eat a hole in your ass. Had this happen once. Will never happen again. Keep in buttoned side pocket.

- don’t carry keys and stuff in front pockets as it will rub you wrong as well and they could fall out. Last thing you want is making it back to your vehicle only to discover you lost your keys 10 miles and 2000ft earlier. Always keep them in buttoned side pocket. The only thing I keep in front pockets is chapstick.

- buttoned side pockets great for glass cases, trail mix, paper maps (for us old fashioned types)

- heavier stuff in daypack/camel-bak if needed

- hit the Mint Bar, famous cowboy bar and Prohibition-era hang out after cleaning up from hike. Wore Zegna linen shirt (looked like chambray or denim) and Rota cigar linen brown pants (invisible to patrons) although I thought side tabs might generate a look or question.

View attachment 1207592

That is all. Sorry for going a little Facebook here but I like cargo shorts.
Or just put everything in the backpack and keep your pockets free? FWIW not all cargo shorts are made the same. Nike ACG for example have some decent looking cargo shorts.

1563248773168.png

Eastlogue has some cargo shorts too

1563249100091.png

1563249109147.png

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More interesting to me than the post is that Reddit has an automod that filters our comments with certain words in them! Wow, can I get one of those?

hahahah, reddit has a lot of devs and writing a quick word filter/parser that checks a message before its posted is not horribly hard in fact it makes things so much easier after adding such a filter for the mods.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the guy who wrote up the reddit post about a rick T vs regular T is back with Fit comparison: $200 Levi's v. $5000 BBS
I think that comparing the entire outfit is much more difficult that doing a single garment, but kudos to him from trying. He is definitely welcome here. That said, BBS really is hard to fit. Unlike Levi's, which, because it's for a mass audience, will fit most people, BBS will look like **** on most people. It's meant for a very specific silhouette, on a minority body type. I love the Tejana 1, but ultimately, cannot get one that fits me... at all.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that comparing the entire outfit is much more difficult that doing a single garment, but kudos to him from trying. He is definitely welcome here. That said, BBS really is hard to fit. Unlike Levi's, which, because it's for a mass audience, will fit most people, BBS will look like **** on most people. It's meant for a very specific silhouette, on a minority body type. I love the Tejana 1, but ultimately, cannot get one that fits me... at all.

I also commented to him that he didn’t need to compare a 5k fit to a 200 Levi’s fit. I think most of the 5k fit could be subbed with cool items and not be as expensive. I for one am not into the denim w/leather sleeves jacket

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I may be reading him wrong, but my takeaway from his two posts (the other being his Hanes vs. Rick Owens comparison) is that, when you're buying high-end clothing, you're paying more for a look than notions of quality. I think when people start dropping a lot of money on clothes, they get overly hung up on ideas about quality and they want to know what's "best." But his posts are basically saying: you're paying for much more abstract ideas, such as aesthetic, provenance, sustainability, branding, etc.

To me, that's so much more level headed and sensible. It's less about whether a reader likes or dislikes a look, and more about getting them to think about clothes more in terms of aesthetics than engineering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads