• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real issue here is not that this is an assault on meritocracy, but that these elite private schools need to protect their property. If you can get in by being merely rich and bribing few people, you are really undermining the value of the admissions to the truly wealthy who more or less ensure their children's admissions with much larger donations than the sums paid by these individuals. Some star off of Full House doesn't really qualify as wealthy. Basically, 1%ers are the poors in this situation, and USC is really more about making sure that they can't backdoor admissions in a way that is generally reserved for the top 0.01%.

This is correct. Admission spots are the school's property to be sold, bartered with, or given away however the schools see fit -- the fake charity and the parents were stealing these spots from the colleges and selling them at a discount on a black market. Yes, broadly speaking American meritocracy is a sham and we can be mad at elite schools for being finishing schools largely for the wealthy and elite, but this story is only tangentially related to that phenomenon at best.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting, the smartest people I have ever met tend to end up in a back room toiling away. By far, influence or the ability to influence has been typically the thing I’ve seen that gets people farthest.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reminds me of 30 rock career advice:
ChpWugSUkAAkSlz.jpg

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fact is that even if wealth is the reason a Princeton kid could go to TJ, that doesn't change the fact that he's already been doing calculus for three years by the time he enters, plays two instruments and a varsity sport at a high level, and legitimately is in the upper echelon of the population across multiple measures of performance.

Agree with your points in general, esp. how certain nominally liberal arts schools should just go ahead and set up a pre-banking, pre-consulting, pre-law major (which they eschew since preprofessional programs aren't traditionally part of a liberal arts curriculum) and watch the majority of the incoming class choose them (esp. when you include all the people who think they are going to be doctors before they encounter organic chemistry... as I understand how it works). Ha ha.

I'd note however that quite simply the opportunity to do calculus for three years before entering college is tied to class because of how our primary and secondary education works. A lot of this overachieving and being exceptional that students at elite colleges display is a function of the economic and social resources of their families. These are not the only kids who *could* be exceptional given the resources and opportunity. So, yes, I think what you say is factual, but I'm not entirely sure how mitigating it is in the end.

The world can possibly run just with fancy Ivy or Stanford degree holders, not withstanding the outsize attention and influence these degrees can afford. But a different view would be to look at the average elite college or HBS graduate, not the exceptions. There I'm sure we'd see a distinct advantage conferred by these degrees, whether merited in the end or not.

Will offer a RFT. Going to visit Langlitz Leathers in Portland soon!

eternaldrake

Reaction score
store recommendations in seattle? I know blue owl is in town but im curious what recommendations you all have. particularly looking for ervell/schneider/sns, but ill check out anything that has interesting stuff

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
store recommendations in seattle? I know blue owl is in town but im curious what recommendations you all have. particularly looking for ervell/schneider/sns, but ill check out anything that has interesting stuff
I just ordered a raincoat from these guys but it hasn't arrived yet.

https://www.freemanseattle.com/

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with your points in general, esp. how certain nominally liberal arts schools should just go ahead and set up a pre-banking, pre-consulting, pre-law major (which they eschew since preprofessional programs aren't traditionally part of a liberal arts curriculum) and watch the majority of the incoming class choose them (esp. when you include all the people who think they are going to be doctors before they encounter organic chemistry... as I understand how it works). Ha ha.

I'd note however that quite simply the opportunity to do calculus for three years before entering college is tied to class because of how our primary and secondary education works. A lot of this overachieving and being exceptional that students at elite colleges display is a function of the economic and social resources of their families. These are not the only kids who *could* be exceptional given the resources and opportunity. So, yes, I think what you say is factual, but I'm not entirely sure how mitigating it is in the end.

The world can possibly run just with fancy Ivy or Stanford degree holders, not withstanding the outsize attention and influence these degrees can afford. But a different view would be to look at the average elite college or HBS graduate, not the exceptions. There I'm sure we'd see a distinct advantage conferred by these degrees, whether merited in the end or not.

Will offer a RFT. Going to visit Langlitz Leathers in Portland soon!
I agree, fancy degrees by and large just put you on a different track in life. Starts tend to be sticky - it’s hard to overcome initial impressions.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
can you guys shut the **** up already and start a new thread

Pangolin

Reaction score

Totokaelo for Schneider, Baby & Co is also worth a stop.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
vetements customers be a buncha dum dums

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall a Gvasalia interview where he stated plainly that he doesn't understand people why people buy their stuff, and that he himself sure wouldn't, that the money would be better spent on traveling, etc...

;DD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads