• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear How often do you wear them? I agree with the toe shape. Ordered a pair of Buttero again that should come in soon to compare.

FWIW I thought the RG x CP side zips were pointy but the welt not being as noticeable lends itself to the overall look. Jonahs has the welt clearly visible, I think @jet even made a comment about it.

Also, if another other side zip had the same color suede as the Jonahs I'd probably opt for the other option. I am not into the SLP look btw.

Not that often, if I'm to be honest. I mostly wear Margiela side zips (the pre-Galliano model and then the current-era Campus boot). I also wear Kapital's overdyed "Navy Supply" boots a lot. My Jonahs are the least worn out of the three brands, but it's mostly about the toe shape.

If someone wants that roper-ish look though, they're good.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gettoasty

I had virtually zero break-in...on first wear they felt effectively the same as they later did broken-in. But I've never had a last fit my foot as well as the Jonah last. They were slightly looser than I wear most of my lace-up boots, and so I almost sized down, but I'm glad I didn't because over time the ankle region collapsed a bit and the tiny bit of slip I had went away. I've got a decent bit of space at the toe in mine, but they fit so well through the midfoot that it's never been an issue. As a general rule, I find all my laceless boots start out a smidge looser than I'd like them and then fit a bit more snugly with time...I've tried going the other way (starting out snug, hoping they'd loosen up) with Viberg and RM Williams and it has not gone well.

RG X CPs look phenomenal in the right fits, but (1) remember the leg opening is pretty huge and (2) they feel totally insubstantial to me. Most of the worn-in pairs I've seen handle the abuse pretty well, so it seems there aren't any actual durability concerns, and they definitely look sleeker than Luccheses, but I found my Lucchs merely unimpressive from a quality & materials perspective and RG x CPs downright disappointing.

I think my love for my Jonahs is well documented here, but to put a point on it, I've probably owned ~10 chelsea or zip boots at some point over the last 18 months (mostly Viberg & RMW, briefly trying Buttero & RGxCP) and my 2 Jonahs are the only ones I've kept. I like Viberg the best visually, but their 2050 last absolutely sucks from a comfort/wearability perspective.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a small moth in my closet tonight (I’ve never seen one before or had any clothing damaged). Literally everything is being bagged and moved to my garage to freeze for a few days.

Thank goodness for this:
1680E29F-1A15-4159-BE82-F6894374CDBE.png

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes that is some cold weather. Go to your miserable frozen graves, moths!

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is probably the wrong place to ask, but since i don't frequent any podiatry or gerontology fora and "random" is in the title of this thread:

have any of you perceived your feet changing in structure/shape as you age? (i'm just about to hit forty.) i have a pair of sanders boots that i used to wear all the time and find super comfortable; i traipsed around for miles and miles in them. now i can't even walk in them for ten minutes without my feet hurting.

maybe turning fully middle-aged is like this:

Definitely. I've gone from a 9.5UK to a 10 and now a 10.5/11UK. Lost a ton of weight a few years ago and stayed a 10.5 so it's more age related changes than weight in my case at least.

Anyway, all of my Sanders are flat as a pancake inside. Zero arch support and the heel pad loses it's cushion rapidly. They can and will fit a poron insock if you ask when sending shoes/boots back for resoling. Might make things a little easier on your feet. Or you could try sticking in a 3/4 length pedag or something for extra support.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucky you nabbed it early. I saw a moth or two in my apartment just before winter here started, thought nothing of it. A few weeks later I pulled out my dbf coat from a plastic bag I had it in, more to protect it from dust than anything else, hadn’t sealed the bag 100%. My hand went straight through the pocket, gave it a good shake and 3 or 4 larvae fell out, the little cunts were still squirming. Thankfully they only got the insides of the pockets, easy repair. Almost every other knit I have now has holes :( found a few dead ones in an (unaffected) Schneider cardigan that was at the bottom of the pile, they literally started at the top and bored their way down. First time I’ve had any sort of moth damage.

Moral of the story: 1) protect your knitwear 2) Schneider yarn with a small percentage of nylon > moth larvae teeth

I saw a small moth in my closet tonight (I’ve never seen one before or had any clothing damaged). Literally everything is being bagged and moved to my garage to freeze for a few days.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had moths, luckily, but Black carpet beetles, whose larva also eat wool, etc, now I've finally gotten rid of them through fumigation and throwing away one carpet, but it was a nice surprise last autumn to notice that they had munched away at a Loro Piana cashmere sweater so that it was riddled with holes :-E

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucky you nabbed it early. I saw a moth or two in my apartment just before winter here started, thought nothing of it. A few weeks later I pulled out my dbf coat from a plastic bag I had it in, more to protect it from dust than anything else, hadn’t sealed the bag 100%. My hand went straight through the pocket, gave it a good shake and 3 or 4 larvae fell out, the little cunts were still squirming. Thankfully they only got the insides of the pockets, easy repair. Almost every other knit I have now has holes :( found a few dead ones in an (unaffected) Schneider cardigan that was at the bottom of the pile, they literally started at the top and bored their way down. First time I’ve had any sort of moth damage.

Moral of the story: 1) protect your knitwear 2) Schneider yarn with a small percentage of nylon > moth larvae teeth

I’m sorry for you, that’s unfortunate. Nearly all of my closet is currently in the garage freezing.

7D40FEB3-B938-4913-B7F5-DC20F620F062.jpeg

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no stopping moths in london, winters don't get cold enough to cut down the population so it grows exponentially.
the only thing i've found that really helps is mottlock moth boxes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is no stopping moths in london, winters don't get cold enough to cut down the population so it grows exponentially.
the only thing i've found that really helps is mottlock moth boxes.

i dont think those boxes actually cut down on moth populations, they just tell you when you have a problem, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads