• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest brands that do clean, minimal-ish sneaks, without a substantial sole like the now-ubiquitous Margom?

I’ve been wearing some beat up vans (which I’m sadly not super into the look of) and realized that walking feels so much better without the big sole. I think it’s something to do with the heel impact point, I walk with more of a mid/front foot strike when there’s not a big chunk of shock absorbing rubber on the back. Not looking for “barefoot” style, just less built up than the market seems to be heading.
This may sound odd, but women's Keds champions can work. It's a gender-neutral design. You just have to add 2.5 to your (men's) size, and get a wide (which is men's regular D) width. Cheap, good-looking, minimalist.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest brands that do clean, minimal-ish sneaks, without a substantial sole like the now-ubiquitous Margom?

I’ve been wearing some beat up vans (which I’m sadly not super into the look of) and realized that walking feels so much better without the big sole. I think it’s something to do with the heel impact point, I walk with more of a mid/front foot strike when there’s not a big chunk of shock absorbing rubber on the back. Not looking for “barefoot” style, just less built up than the market seems to be heading.

Most Vans are made with Vulcanized soles. If you like those, you can check out any of the shoes that come out of Moonstar's factory in Japan -- including their in-house line Moonstar, Drake's, John Lofgren, Real McCoys, Shoes Like Pottery, Standard & Strange x TSPR, etc. Visvim also makes shoes with Vulcanized soles.

Some are a bit lower profile than others. Moonstar is pretty low profile. So is Shoes Like Pottery. Can't remember the others.

Trunk Clothiers also has some Doek sneakers that may fit the bill.

Jvog

Reaction score
Anyone here travel to Greece recently and can offer some suggestions or places to visit? Will be spending a few nights in Athens and then island hopping.

Restaurants, shops, galleries, anything is welcome!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a pair of linen trousers that have a slim cut and a nice taper? I'm not into the wide legged Eidos style (though, it looks incredible)

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
extremely me, summer in DC:

DkpxACvUYAE9qA3.jpg:large

emptym

Reaction score
You laugh, but I've been wearing tech and gym clothes as often as possible this summer, and man, has it been comfortable.
Yeah, the past couple months, I've given over to the athleisure tsunami as well. But here in SF "summer" it's been sweats, as I posted in WAYWT last night. I bet you've been in shorts and t-shirts, stinker.

I have a couple pairs of Flossys (Spanish brand). Love their nubuck ones and would get another pair in navy or black if I could find one. Maybe SF could organize a group buy or GMTO.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 20 years that look will be glorified in style forum

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OccultaVexillum hot take (I think?) but I feel that way when I see people wearing Rick Owens in person these days, which is fairly often. It always looks like they're trying really hard. I thought moving to LA was going to get me more interested in the industry, but being around more people wearing designer / high-end stuff has actually been a massive turn-off.

@Jobst I love Spalwart's Special Lows for that vibe, though the soles on those are very minimal and in practice feel not that far from my "barefoot" running shoes, at least in terms of bottom-of-the-sole feel. Those plus the "top" versions of Converse stuff (Converse 1970s, Jack Purcell Signatures) are really all I need these days. As much as I like sneakers from Logfgren, Real McCoys, etc., that top Converse stuff is plenty "good enough" that the increase in price seems a lot larger than the increase in quality in that particular niche.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OccultaVexillum hot take (I think?) but I feel that way when I see people wearing Rick Owens in person these days, which is fairly often. It always looks like they're trying really hard. I thought moving to LA was going to get me more interested in the industry, but being around more people wearing designer / high-end stuff has actually been a massive turn-off.

I was surprised by how much of that I felt in Tokyo too, though it was more in the boutiquey boutiques than on the street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads