• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
of the art i love, i discovered none of it in an art museum--it was all online or in books.

It's the exact opposite for me. Seeing things in person is so powerful. Many things I've been familiar with for years from books completely surprised and overwhelmed me in person. I don't think I've ever had that visceral experience of art looking at books or online images.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Just bought a Margiela silver ID bracelet, but need to take out a link or two.

Is this a simple DIY or can anybody recommend somebody in NYC?

I did this a couple times....it was a pain ********** to saw through but it can be done

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the exact opposite for me. Seeing things in person is so powerful. Many things I've been familiar with for years from books completely surprised and overwhelmed me in person. I don't think I've ever had that visceral experience of art looking at books or online images.

I find learning about things in books and online helps give me a better context to appreciate something in person. Like, a Van Gogh just looks like a watery set of paint strokes. It's pretty, but also ... kind of so ubiquitous that it's almost meaningless as a visual object. You've seen Starry Nights on everything from college room posters to fridge magnets.

But then you go and learn about why Van Gogh was important, the context in which his art appeared, how he fit into a larger history of visual expression, etc. And when you see in it person and you "see it" in a new way. Exposure through books, internet, etc helps frame that. There's also the placard at the museum, but they're so short.

Experiencing art in books and in-person goes hand-in-hand for me.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree - I don't think my point is in conflict with yours. Seeing Starry Night on a poster or magnet isn't at all the same as seeing it in person, and that's true of almost every piece of art.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I did this a couple times....it was a pain ********** to saw through but it can be done

You need a proper italian or swedish made hacksaw my dude, it'll be real quick.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just at the l'ouvre and I have to say seeing art, even the reproduced pieces, in person had a much more awe inspiring effect. I think part of that is the curation, the magnitude of size of some painting, the ambiance at the l'ouvre

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Just bought a Margiela silver ID bracelet, but need to take out a link or two.

Is this a simple DIY or can anybody recommend somebody in NYC?

i think any watch shop should be able to do this

Racing Green

Reaction score

Picasso's Guernica took my breath away when I saw it despite being familiar with it since school.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In terms of discovery, there have been probably like... 2-3 pieces that I didn't know about already that I ended up really, really loving when I found it in art museums.

But just the nature of the internet and how widespread the resources are, and for instance, Google Arts and Culture just lets you browse. Same with books. I've found many, many more pieces that I've loved that way, and many of them eventually went to see in real life. I think it's more of a discovery thing... unless you make it really a point to set aside a whole day to go to the local art museum every time you are traveling, it can be difficult to be exposed to a lot of stuff.

That's the way I read ghdvfddzgzdzg's comment—that it's just a lot easier for you to find stuff that interests you in books or online than physically at a museum, especially if you have more niche tastes. I don't think anyone is arguing that seeing representations of physical art is better or even equal to seeing it in real life.

Much like online clothes shopping!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that different than looking at clothing online and seeing it person. I've 'discovered' some art online that led me to find it in person when convenient. I came across "nocturn in black and gold" online, saw it was held in Detroit and happened to be going there for work. Win-win. I went to the Murakami exhibit in Chicago this summer and wasn't really into it, except for the large lapis blue canvas which I probably spent an hour with. Looking at it online you'd never get a sense of the vibrancy of the color.

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Christ I woke up to 45 degrees today....Jesus, Jewish God, Allah, Tom Cruise.....please give me my 90 degree weather back soon

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christ I woke up to 45 degrees today....Jesus, Jewish God, Allah, Tom Cruise.....please give me my 90 degree weather back soon
45-55 degrees is the best weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads