• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 2018, and time for a new Random Fashion thread.

It's not so much a reset as a continuation of our (the Styleforum community's) rambling discussion that ended off with Dicken's quotes (Thanks @ManofKent ), new glasses to replace those broken in New Year's Eve fights, Kapital Blanket Ring Jackets, @g transistor 's Kafka-esque feet:
"A while back I got a pair of Vis boots in 9.5, my left foot was a bit squished in the left boot. So I thought my left foot was about a half a size larger than my right foot. Right foot fit perfect.

Just got another pair of Vis boots in 9.5, now my right foot is squished but my left foot is perfect.
and discussions on working at Matches Fashion (if you do, I expect a nice, hefty discount and an affiliate vendor account here - they would be awesome) which may or may not be located in a building called "The Shart".

In short, this thread will be the continuation of a long tradition of what makes Styleforum great - our community of men's clothing nerds at the neighborhood pub, posting back and forth about whatever random fashion thought falls out of your brain.

To anyone new, don't be intimidated. Join in the conversation. We don't bite (much).

Cheers,

Fok.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a pretty high likelihood I am the only CM type with Mykita x Damir Doma sunglasses. This doesn't help anyone find the right pair of eyeglasses, but gets me subscribed to the new thread. Happy 2018 everybody

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any cool frames retailers in the New England area?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a pretty high likelihood I am the only CM type with Mykita x Damir Doma sunglasses. This doesn't help anyone find the right pair of eyeglasses, but gets me subscribed to the new thread. Happy 2018 everybody
You do realize that you can use the "Watch Thread" button as well, right? Just sayin'.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned rounder frames @e0d9n0b5 and @cyc wid it mentioned Mykita—I have these and really like them. Wanted something similar to traditional p3 but a little different from the usual tortoise.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

fishshu

Reaction score
I really like Eyevan 7286, the best part is the titanium nose pads that never get gross.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I need glasses but actually avoided......

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Zamb, @e0d9n0b5, @Darkside - I actually need glasses as well and also in the 500-600 range, mykita did come ups lot when i asked before and i didn't find a model or good outlet for them in SF. I seem to like semi rim glasses and square-ish frame. I looked into retro specs http://www.retrospecs.com/product.html not sure if the cost justifies them.

I've been mildly avoiding the issue but if i saw a cool frame that works for me i'd grab it.

Hows 'Dita Union' ? are they easy to purchase?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a surprisingly high # of Mykita stockists in the bay area. In SF there's Spectacles for Humans, Optical Underground, and a few others. Berkeley should have a couple. Mountain View even has one.

MMMxMykita sunglasses are my favorite. (I have 2 different models).

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. there is a very nice shop near my office i'm going to check out, has (almost) all the brands recommended thus far

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i once got some pretty great advice from an eyeglass boutique on a random pop-through: the dude told me to go 'against the grain' of one's face, that is if you have a heart shaped face stay away from wayfarers and towards something like an aviator, where the lines of the frames offer a counterpoint. if you have an oval face go square... etc. the more i stare at people wearing sunglasses the more apt the rule seems to be. at least something to consider when shopping i guess.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aviators are kinda’ heart shaped though, no?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not really imo. i guess you could make the case but they don't do the 'cloud lift' thing that wayfarers do.

it's really very difficult to be objective about one's face in the first place, ime glasses shopping can be really tough, seeing our own faces honestly, reconciling the real and the ideal, forecasting what things will actually look like with prescriptions (the 'correction' distorts on the other side)... and then you have the fashion of it all and maybe what you are shooting for is hard to find.... not easy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads