• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green flower it is for now, thanks for the input everyone. I think the terry/towel texture should work great for summer, where texture is often missing.
The towel one, what are the poplin fatigues?
Stan Ray's "Jungle Pant". I'm not the biggest fan of the material, it's thin, yet somehow stiff and crispy. Wrinkly too, but not in a rumply linen way.

I'm a big fan of the cut though, it's the only pair of pants I have where I can't feel my thighs on the pants while standing up. They also didn't cost an arm and a leg.

7339650_776_f1_m_stanray_sr_ss22042-oli_jungle_pant_oli_q2_junkyard.jpg

7339650_776_f_m_stanray_sr_ss22042-oli_jungle_pant_oli_q2_junkyard.jpg

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior really needs a refresh, it's the same things over and over again with slightly different colourschemes. :/

The menswear I mean.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green flower it is for now, thanks for the input everyone. I think the terry/towel texture should work great for summer, where texture is often missing.

Stan Ray's "Jungle Pant". I'm not the biggest fan of the material, it's thin, yet somehow stiff and crispy. Wrinkly too, but not in a rumply linen way.

I'm a big fan of the cut though, it's the only pair of pants I have where I can't feel my thighs on the pants while standing up. They also didn't cost an arm and a leg.

7339650_776_f1_m_stanray_sr_ss22042-oli_jungle_pant_oli_q2_junkyard.jpg

7339650_776_f_m_stanray_sr_ss22042-oli_jungle_pant_oli_q2_junkyard.jpg

It's not my style, but I don't dislike them. I certainly advocate a proper leg width, far from the skimpy abominations often seen nowadays.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not my style, but I don't dislike them. I certainly advocate a proper leg width, far from the skimpy abominations often seen nowadays.
I think "proper" leg width depends on the aesthetic one is going for.

Tighter pants work well here by @clee1982. Strong shoulder, lapels, western shirt and belt. Feels '70s.

51f1b7a1-aac4-4c9e-aa42-eb027253cae5-jpeg.1779798

I generally prefer looser legs now, I have chunky thighs. Literally more air flow and a lot more comfortable. I especially like this for summer time.

I dig Scott Frasers' "Gaucho" trousers. Wide, ultra-flared legs for more air flow during summer time. Feels vaguely zoot-suity meets '50s guy on vacation.

Scott-Fraser-Collection-Gaucho-trousers-Worn.jpg

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On board with these down to the knees, not a fan of the fabric flapping when walking with those extra wide 30cms leg openings (unless the leg length is more clearly cropped)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On board with these down to the knees, not a fan of the fabric flapping when walking with those extra wide 30cms leg openings (unless the leg length is more clearly cropped)
14" leg opening according to the website.

Yeah the leg length is cropped, but the other photos aren't much clearer

Scott-Fraser-Collection-Gaucho-trousers-Worn3.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tighter pants work well here by @clee1982. Strong shoulder, lapels, western shirt and belt. Feels '70s.

I agree that the trousers width is in relation to the look one is pursuing. However I don't see a skinny width on those jeans, fortunately.

In my opinion that lovely jacket would require trousers like these, though.

Screenshot (379).png

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even (very) casual trousers look so much better with a proper width.

Screenshot (380).png

As well as jeans.

Screenshot (381).png

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying to only buy one thing at a time per 1-2 pay cheques to be responsible!

Which shirt to prioritize? I like all 3 of these, but I need to pick one for now to pair with baggy poplin fatigues

aHR0cHM6Ly9vYXMuY2VudHJhY2RuLm5ldC9jbGllbnQvZHluYW1pYy9pbWFnZXMvMzg2XzcxOWE3NzcwODgtcGx1bWRvdC1vcmlnaW5hbC5qcGc=.jpg
aHR0cHM6Ly9vYXMuY2VudHJhY2RuLm5ldC9jbGllbnQvZHluYW1pYy9pbWFnZXMvMzgyX2Y5Y2E2ZDJlMmMtZGFpc3ktc2hpcnQtYS1vcmlnaW5hbC5qcGc=.jpg
aHR0cHM6Ly9vYXMuY2VudHJhY2RuLm5ldC9jbGllbnQvZHluYW1pYy9pbWFnZXMvNDM1Xzc5NDFlOWI1NTItbWVhZG93LWN1YmEtdGVycnktc2hpcnRfYV9mXzcwMDMtNDMtb3JpZ2luYWwuanBn.jpg

A little late, but I like 3 then 2.

Total pass on 1.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah - for me, at least,

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

I generally prefer looser legs now, I have chunky thighs. Literally more air flow and a lot more comfortable. I especially like this for summer time.

I dig Scott Frasers' "Gaucho" trousers. Wide, ultra-flared legs for more air flow during summer time. Feels vaguely zoot-suity meets '50s guy on vacation.

Scott-Fraser-Collection-Gaucho-trousers-Worn.jpg

Damn was about to be an instakop for me but I scrolled down haha. Wish it was less 1940’s sailor and more 70’s cut. Love linen pants with some style to them instead of the same old same old flat front

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14" leg opening according to the website.

Yeah the leg length is cropped, but the other photos aren't much clearer

Scott-Fraser-Collection-Gaucho-trousers-Worn3.jpg

Looks good here but linen is probably soft and light enough for it to be less annoying/noticeable too, where it just sort of folds around your ankle when moving.

Something to keep in mind is that lots of straight leg trousers with a wide enough leg opening end up looking like flares when you're walking anyway, just how science works, adding actual flares on top can sometimes be too much. I often wear perfectly straight cotton ducks trousers with a 26cm hem, I look like an old school off-duty sailor standing still and like a 70s bum in motion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads