• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

michaellosauro

Reaction score
Has anyone here replaced toggles on a duffle coat before? My Gloverall duffle needs some loving. Any tips or tricks? Or should I go to a tailor/seamstress with some jute and call it a day?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here replaced toggles on a duffle coat before? My Gloverall duffle needs some loving. Any tips or tricks? Or should I go to a tailor/seamstress with some jute and call it a day?

I had to replace mine a few years ago. The leather strap holding on one of the horn toggles broke and I lost that toggle. I had a replacement toggle that had come with the jacket but couldn't find a replacement leather strap (if I ever even had one). My tailor is pretty resourceful and I figured they could put something together but on a whim I sent an email to Gloverall asking to buy some and they actually sent me a package of all new leather straps and toggles for free so I replaced them all, all at once. If you have the time to wait, it might be worth reaching out to Gloverall so you can get the original type of jute to match the rest of yours.

It looked like a pretty simple procedure that I could have done myself but I took it to a tailor. I figured it was worth it to let them wrestle with poking a needle through the thick fabric.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Please congratulate me for resisting the temptation to buy anything over this sales period, not even that green Doppiaa suit when it was already less than half price and had a further 50% off for a day... <weeps quietly>

By sales period you mean like one week or like months? Because if you're referring to the former that's sorta like holding your breath for 1 min in the shallow pool, no?

I personally recently purchased a few items (Kamakura shirts, Salomon trainers, a second loden, some sweats etc.) things that I'd say are "in fashion" but not necessarily completely off the moment. I just wear more relaxed fit than usual this winter so needed an update I guess.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By sales period you mean like one week or like months? Because if you're referring to the former that's sorta like holding your breath for 1 min in the shallow pool, no?

Well, I wasn't really asking for congratulations, but I did really love the look of that suit.

However, I am actually intending to buy virtually nothing at all from now on in, except what I can save for. Other life priorities... and I have way more clothes than I will ever need.

sandmountain

Reaction score
What’s the deal with Virtusize, is it any good? I added my height, weight and age, and it calculated my measurements almost spot-on. I’m considering proxying something from Japan and wondering if I should trust the size recommendation?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like @dieworkwear called out professional dipshit Dave p*rtnoy on a crappy watch brand he started. Derek definitely stepping up his beef game from uptight CM guys to lord of the stoolies.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like @dieworkwear called out professional dipshit Dave p*rtnoy on a crappy watch brand he started. Derek definitely stepping up his beef game from uptight CM guys to lord of the stoolies.

Well, here’s thing. If you are here, you probably really care about clothes. There’s something to be respected there, whatever your aesthetic disagreements. Dave Portnoy seems both incurious and arrogant about watches.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Portnoy is, for some reason, also a fairly regular guest expert on Fox news business segments and talking head shows. Distasteful as Portnoy is, I do feel like he has credibly disproved the sexual assault news pieces against him and unlike just about every other cultural figure in that particular space, has been openly vocal against the GOP on things like abortion and supporting Trump. I think he is probably also the only one who did not pump any shitcoins or nfts for payola.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went on a Black Friday spree and got 3 things I thought I'd really like. Turns out, none worked for me. I hate returning things. So bummed.

JMM Dealan in argyle. I think they're just too big, even though they're the smaller Dealan (50, there's a 53 version). This is the only one I might keep as I think it might be just a matter of getting used to the size. Now I try my other sunglasses and they feel small?

dealan-argyle-a.jpg

Blake Hedley Bronze Bomber shearling. It just looks very different in person IMO.

GoDaddyStudioPage-0_1_900x.png

Buttero Storia combat boots. They are huge. Like, Herman Munster kind of massive. Also I was hoping they'd have the same leather as my Buttero sidezips but they just try to be like Docs so it has the same kind of smoothened leather.

ANFIBIO-STORIA-IN-PELLE-NERA-BUTTERO_42820_dettaglio.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MickeyPunch Do you plan on using the Dealans as opticals or sunglasses? I've a small-medium sized face and they work well on me as opticals. They're on the absolute cusp of being too big though. I do have a bias towards chunky and oversized as well.

I'd say the difficulty is more in the cat-eye shape. Not everyone likes that.

Posting fit pictures always gives the best idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads