• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Also hate it, but I dislike mock necks with anything. I also don’t like turtlenecks for that matter.

Hahaha, I just realized I misunderstood and he didn't mention a polo-neck, I was making a bit of a cheeky comment on regional variations in language but I fell flat on my face.

I think it is one of those things you gotta try and it might just be completely fine and even cool, don't see a problem. I think @conceptual 4est likes mock-necks maybe he can chime in.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my head, it's a nice in-between option between t-shirts with high collars, and a turtleneck. Possibly less sweaty than a full turtleneck.

Still frames the face and takes up some space.

Or it's going to be in no man's land and just look odd.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A turtleneck makes me look like a 1970s German terrorist, no thanks.

i feel like this is on trend tho

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 11.42.24 AM.png

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
A turtleneck makes me look like a 1970s German terrorist, no thanks.
Same for me but that's a yes (more like Brigate Rosse but yeah). I don't condone leftist violence that is merely acting up and not a way to credibly take power but still it is a good look.

This book has fascinating pictures taken by one of the participants, but maybe hard to find:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Hahaha, I just realized I misunderstood and he didn't mention a polo-neck, I was making a bit of a cheeky comment on regional variations in language but I fell flat on my face.

I think it is one of those things you gotta try and it might just be completely fine and even cool, don't see a problem. I think @conceptual 4est likes mock-necks maybe he can chime in.

yeah, this is exactly what I just wore for thanksgiving. It’s a thin merino mockneck and a very casual suit though.

I’ve also worn the same sweater but in a camel color with a burgundy corduroy suit and that felt pretty good.

70113D4E-7D9B-42E2-B065-21EBCB5A46FA.jpeg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear turtlenecks with sport costs for all the terrorist associations, but find them unbearably warm... even thin merino ones.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, this is exactly what I just wore for thanksgiving. It’s a thin merino mockneck and a very casual suit though.

I’ve also worn the same sweater but in a camel color with a burgundy corduroy suit and that felt pretty good.

View attachment 1860497
Awesome, thanks man, sounds like mocknecks will work just fine for me.
I'd wear turtlenecks with sport costs for all the terrorist associations, but find them unbearably warm... even thin merino ones.
I think I'm going to try out a cotton jersey pair in black from Land's End.

I tried out a turtleneck from them and the design and material seemed surprisingly nice. Thin, but added stretch in the cuffs and neck rib. It did wear warm though.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks man, sounds like mocknecks will work just fine for me.

I think I'm going to try out a cotton jersey pair in black from Land's End.

I tried out a turtleneck from them and the design and material seemed surprisingly nice. Thin, but added stretch in the cuffs and neck rib. It did wear warm though.

Tbf I think while Kyle looks great he is wearing either a very beefy and high mockneck or more of a turtleneck. Most mocknecks are a more of a brushed t shirt weight and could look off with a suit, esp a winter weight one.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was just a 70s thing particularly popular with students and intellectuals.

I don't care about any outdated political connotations, I just don't like the way they look. Then there is also the ex who'd buy me turtlenecks and then pester me as to why I don't wear them 👺

*honesty edit* As skiing underwear, a thin one like what @conceptual 4est is wearing are ace.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads