• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've sized up twice on my S&M chinos, and I give up on trying to make them work. They always catch on my thighs and feel like a damn vice around my legs.

Do you all think the baggy chinos below would work with my with sports coat in terms of overall silhouette? This is roughly how all of my SCs fit.

20220926-174544-2.jpg

20220818-182039_600x.jpg

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe something in between the two and/or in a less stiff fabric

The problem with the S&M chinos is the ridiculous amount of taper, you can size up all you want and you'll only end up with some jodhpur looking thing.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've sized up twice on my S&M chinos, and I give up on trying to make them work. They always catch on my thighs and feel like a damn vice around my legs.

Do you all think the baggy chinos below would work with my with sports coat in terms of overall silhouette? This is roughly how all of my SCs fit.

20220926-174544-2.jpg

20220818-182039_600x.jpg

I generally don’t think big workwear/military chinos look great with a sport coat. I’m sure there are photos that prove me wrong but for normal folks I think there are better options (namely, tailored wool trousers or dressy chinos/cotton trousers that give you a little more room - e.g. Armoury sport chinos).

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe something in between the two and/or in a less stiff fabric

The problem with the S&M chinos is the ridiculous amount of taper, you can size up all you want and you'll only end up with some jodhpur looking thing.
Any ideas on a reasonably priced option between the two? Reasonable being S&M and Bronson MFG level pricing, but I'm willing to go up to $200CAD.
I generally don’t think big workwear/military chinos look great with a sport coat. I’m sure there are photos that prove me wrong but for normal folks I think there are better options (namely, tailored wool trousers or dressy chinos/cotton trousers that give you a little more room - e.g. Armoury sport chinos).
I looked up the sport chinos, and the measurements seem roughly the same as the S&M chinos up there that I'm wearing. I've larger thighs relative to my waist, so most slim pants don't really work well on me. Also, yeah 320USD is too much for me for chinos.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No ideas sorry, I'm not big on chinos.

My very vague and unhelpful advice would be to look outside of menswear and workwear specific brands, what you need basically is old man pants in non ****** fabrics.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on a reasonably priced option between the two? Reasonable being S&M and Bronson MFG level pricing, but I'm willing to go up to $200CAD.

I looked up the sport chinos, and the measurements seem roughly the same as the S&M chinos up there that I'm wearing. I've larger thighs relative to my waist, so most slim pants don't really work well on me. Also, yeah 320USD is too much for me for chinos.

Are you just going for a look, or are you wearing this for work, or something in between? I guess I’m wondering…why chinos instead of tailored trousers?

maybe this? https://www.casatlantic.com/products/tanger-mid-cotton-beige

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you just going for a look, or are you wearing this for work, or something in between? I guess I’m wondering…why chinos instead of tailored trousers?

Natalino and Dapper Classics are two places I’d check out.
It's a comfort/mental thing for me. I like being able to wear a pair of pants daily for work, then chuck them in the wash at the end of the week.

I do have tailored wool trousers, but I'd feel gross wearing them daily and then getting them dry cleaned once a month. I only wear them for special occasions.

I'll look into Natalino and Dapper Classics, thank you.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe Rubato or O'Connells?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casatlantic would've been my go-to suggestion but I don't think they have chinos?

There's a recent thread about big pants on the CM side with some recs too

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casatlantic would've been my go-to suggestion but I don't think they have chinos?

the casatlantic I linked to above are machine washable.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha I missed those, looks ideal to me if you can deal with pleats

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

J... Crew?

BI521_NA5810_d1

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the casatlantic I linked to above are machine washable.
Oh, those Casatlantic Mogador chinos are exactly what I need. Thanks for the recommendation!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads