• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

kashmir

Reaction score
why is no one talking about MotivMfg?

I mentioned them in the SW&D tailoring thread IIRC

I've handled many items from them. Great brand. The craftsmanship is top notch. The tailoring has high armholes, wide sleeves, great movement, really close to tailoring from around 1890-1920 that I've seen in UK museums. And then when I read their bio, it is actually mentioned that the cutter, Daniel, is from Vienna and that sort of "belle epoque intellectual" vibe is one of his inspirations. Makes me happy to see it because it is faithful to the actual root of the lounge suit, which is workwear. Obviously they also do chore-style coats, overcoats, etc excellently and with almost geeky attention to history.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe because it's Chinese?

I don't know but I love Motiv MFG, I got a dispatch coat that I wore a lot. High armholes, A-Line with a beautiful Lovat wool that is high density. Unlucky for me since Im in LA, I can't use it anymore so I'm waiting to see what from the SS season hits me.

I would really like to get some tailoring from them. Their suiting looks top notch and a linen suit would kill.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rft: Trends and Fashion are so good.

They basically just remind you about cool things. Doesn't have to be consumerist at all if you don't take it like that.

e.g.
- the big striped shirt thing. Great look. just get a big oversized striped shirt from wherever, cheap as ****
- knitted v-neck vests. Everywhere on the internet. Great look, kinda subverted city boy prep. Cool.
- birks/clogs. been going on for a few years now. What a great idea. Cool!

None of these things have to be the next hot fashion cycle. They're just nice little pieces of inspiration you can take from regular ******* people who happen to be all reminded of certain things. It's not a bad thing if it's done sincerely.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read a little bit, and it seems that you are only required to pay taxes on anything after whatever expenses you had to obtain and sell the item. Since everything I have sold has been at a loss, I just got to show that the item was worth more than I earned on it. Although tax law scares me so we shall see.

Currently in this boat...how do I show expenses? Is there a particular form?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I'm assuming it's when you do your taxes. You'll have to file online sales as income, and submit your receipts as "business expenses."

I'm gonna check with my cpa, but is there a specific form? Or just general itemized work expenses?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna check with my cpa, but is there a specific form? Or just general itemized work expenses?

I'm not sure man, sorry. This will be my first year having to do this. Normally, my eBay/Grailed sales never went above a couple of grand per year. But now, I'm apparently a 'business owner' with my whopping $700 in eBay sales for used t-shirts and pocket squares.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure man, sorry. This will be my first year having to do this. Normally, my eBay/Grailed sales never went above a couple of grand per year. But now, I'm apparently a 'business owner' with my whopping $700 in eBay sales for used t-shirts and pocket squares.

Yeah same. Been clearing out my shoes this year, and it is certainly hitting those tax limits. I wonder if I should be incorporated maybe in SCorp or LLC for my stupid ebay sales?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all are scaring me, I barely made any money on half the **** and I didn't keep receipt for crap I bought like 4 years ago and sat in my closet for 3. I sold everything at a lose to make space but now I'm like maybe I should've just kept everything and shot it out of a canon or sold it in Japan.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all are scaring me, I barely made any money on half the **** and I didn't keep receipt for crap I bought like 4 years ago and sat in my closet for 3. I sold everything at a lose to make space but now I'm like maybe I should've just kept everything and shot it out of a canon or sold it in Japan.

I'm scared of getting my whole **** audited over some BS ebay sales.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads