• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the conversations around this hyperthetical, and I love the idea of trying to think ahead for 5 years and considering what life events would happen and how much you care about being prepared for that.

i think that's why monitaly works so well. you can dress things up or down. you can make suits/setups out of things for vaguely presentable looks. you can dress like a psychedelic hobo. and there's sectors of monitaly i'm not that into, which means there's room for change.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I don't understand the whole Uniqlo cult to begin with, basic mall brand, the collabs are no different from the H&M x CdG etc... stuff.

It's cheap and cheerful, a variety of fits in multiple garments, multiple streams of use cases (biz cas, atheleisure, streetwear, lounging, and so forth), an enormous palette of colours that usually have some seasonal coherence (both in terms of traditional seasonal palettes, and multiple garments having harmonized palettes that given season). You're not going to get a statement piece that just ******* owns or anything, but supporting cast garments by the dozen, a full wardrobe for not much cash, and stuff that fits in multiple contexts all have value.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pop by my Uniqlo once or twice a year to restock on socks and beater linen shirts and I always find random interesting Lemaire leftovers or some functional and decently designed regular stuff worth grabbing. The color selection is definitely a strong point, the fabrics are sometime a bit our of the ordinary and you can even occasionally get some nice comfy cuts with a tiny bit of sizing fiddling.

How have they not reissued the Big Shirt yet? Def top 5 most iconic RL pieces of all time.

Wait, isn't the Big Shirt just an honest 90s cut aka size up up shirt?

If you are looking for some passages on clothing and character, the first chapter of the first book of Broch's Sleepwalkers has some passages where Joachim considers how he feels in civilian clothes, and what it means to wear a uniform (this is technically an imagining of what another character would theorize about a uniform, and it's unclear whether this imagining is Joachim's own or that of the narrative voice, but that uncertainty is just how high modernism worked in them days). His clothes and how he wears them form an emotional key to his character, and his fussing with them in a specific way forms part of the emotional (anti-) climax of the book.

EDIT: word salad typos

Don't know if it was me or Broch but The Sleepwalkers was one of my most amusing read last year, threw me for a loop.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Don't know if it was me or Broch but The Sleepwalkers was one of my most amusing read last year, threw me for a loop.

I haven't read any of it for 15 years, and the last time I only re-read The Anarchist, but Joachim's attitudes towards clothing has stuck with me. The uniform that protects him from the anarchy of feeling, his fussiness at having everything buttoned and strapped and sealed, his horror of dressing bourgeois. I imagine he would be comfortable ordering a war crime, and would faint if he saw someone wearing a Rico shirt.

Last edited:

MythReindeer

Reaction score
Groilds new app design looks ass. Much preferred the marble design they had
I deleted the app a while back. The filter function stopped working, and this was true on two phones. Never figured out if it was just me or a known bug.

GT-R

Reaction score
Ok question that sparked some convos...

What brand would you wear, if you had to wear only one brand's clothing, for the next 5 years.

This hypothetical excludes footwear and undergarments, and it leaves enough room with the timeline to experiment.

I've seen this question as a lifetime commitment and have it be head to toe, but then the answer is just always ralph.

YEEZY

Obviously, with full access to all collections.

GT-R

Reaction score
Tell me more, unless this was humor

Well, I love a lot of the YEEZY collections. The earthy and pastel tones of the collections match the aesthetic I've stumbled into with my own style recently. The unisex nature of the collections are also hugely appealing; I prefer the fit of women's sizing already in my everyday wear. I have these leggings I like to wear; they fit great, looking great with a boot and something slightly oversized up top. Although, I generally avoid oversized; I prefer slim all the way through.

Then there was also this dress I cut up purely because I liked like super close, hugging fit, of the garment that I really struggle to get anything similar in the men's.

Also, functionally, the military inspiration of the collections is superb. I prize pockets; hate being forced to carry small bags around to prevent losing my items. And YEEZY has pockets on pockers, with zips on zips. My muse right now is Josh Brolin in Sicario, so think easy going, relaxed, functional, sand, khaki, earthy tones, even a sandal at times.

Not a fan of YEEZY GAP ENGINEERED by BALENCIAGA because I don't wear black anymore but the silhouettes are nice, and a bunch of accessories very forward looking. In fact, forward looking/forward-thinking is how I would describe YEEZY as a brand in general.

I don't own any of the sneakers because I prefer either crocs or more formal shoes like a boot in my personal style right now BUT there is a wealth of incredible design coming out of the YEEZY sneaker department, so you can't lose there. They even have the foam runners, which I haven't tried, but could be an alternative to my prised crocs.

jmiller123

Reaction score
CC85A115-46FA-45DD-9F2F-CD976CE38F40.jpeg
968127F6-B460-4B8E-8C01-4E4C40EBF89D.jpeg

Does anyone have experience replacing or fixing a Pearl snap? I have this LVC shirt that I really like and had the pearl come off in the wash. Can’t find it anywhere but I believe I found the correct replacement online. If I bought it, would the switch to the new Pearl be something most tailors could do or does this require a particular tool?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1797449 View attachment 1797450
Does anyone have experience replacing or fixing a Pearl snap? I have this LVC shirt that I really like and had the pearl come off in the wash. Can’t find it anywhere but I believe I found the correct replacement online. If I bought it, would the switch to the new Pearl be something most tailors could do or does this require a particular tool?

I've seen guys wearing their favorite, well worn western shirt in denim with a mis-matched pearl color or metal snap. I kinda like the look, a badge of authentic wear like a good patch on favorite jeans. If you can't get an exact match, go with it and enjoy it.

If you need help with the snap, contact JoAnn Jack at Dixon Rand here in Santa Fe. She does MTM western shirts and could answer any questions. You can reach her through her Instagram account.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my One Brand I'd need some sort of business casual for some workdays. 1st Pat-RN may fit the bill.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1797449 View attachment 1797450

Super easy, any snap setting kit from amazon or JoAnns Fabrics will work. Just need a hard surface like a driveway, and a hammer with a light touch.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I love a lot of the YEEZY collections. The earthy and pastel tones of the collections match the aesthetic I've stumbled into with my own style recently. The unisex nature of the collections are also hugely appealing; I prefer the fit of women's sizing already in my everyday wear. I have these leggings I like to wear; they fit great, looking great with a boot and something slightly oversized up top. Although, I generally avoid oversized; I prefer slim all the way through.

Then there was also this dress I cut up purely because I liked like super close, hugging fit, of the garment that I really struggle to get anything similar in the men's.

Also, functionally, the military inspiration of the collections is superb. I prize pockets; hate being forced to carry small bags around to prevent losing my items. And YEEZY has pockets on pockers, with zips on zips. My muse right now is Josh Brolin in Sicario, so think easy going, relaxed, functional, sand, khaki, earthy tones, even a sandal at times.

Not a fan of YEEZY GAP ENGINEERED by BALENCIAGA because I don't wear black anymore but the silhouettes are nice, and a bunch of accessories very forward looking. In fact, forward looking/forward-thinking is how I would describe YEEZY as a brand in general.

I don't own any of the sneakers because I prefer either crocs or more formal shoes like a boot in my personal style right now BUT there is a wealth of incredible design coming out of the YEEZY sneaker department, so you can't lose there. They even have the foam runners, which I haven't tried, but could be an alternative to my prised crocs.

This is super interesting, and it's cool you took the time to explain it, but i am confused. You say you prefer slim fit all the way through, but yeezy is generally oversized and loose right? But you're favouring the womens line which is generally slim and form fitting. But then Brolin in Sicario is your muse and it's "relaxed" and tactical and masculine from what i remember (military shirts and cargos and vests).
If you have the time, would you share pics of what you mean? Like looks that you'd want to emulate and things like that?
I've not really ever looked at Yeezy aside from scrolling web stores and seeing it come up. I definitely love the colour pallette but that's all that really stood out to me so I'd appreciate seeing what you mean since yeezy isn't ever really talked about on here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads