• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you're like me and wear basically chinos and a chambray or OCBD shirt every. single. day. picking a tiny brand like Wythe isn't as much of a concern.

@RegisDB9 - looks like you have another convert to the church of don't cage my junk.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting how many people would go back to luxe workwear (whether US or Japanese) if forced to choose. And yet, we keep being told that the workwear thing is dead or dying... it doesn't seem like it.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey i feel like I personally made a point to step away from workwear and experiment with other stuff, but last 6 months or so I’ve naturally shifted back into it. I think lots of folks are feeling similarly - nice to experiment but good to get back to what you feel comfortable in

jmiller123

Reaction score
To me workwear is just easy. The ability to just throw on a pair of nice jeans, a simple t-shirt or shirt and some boots and look relatively decent is appealing and doesn't require a lot of thought on what to wear in the morning. Also, while at least personally I have yet to run through a piece of clothing to the point that it is unwearable- having those hard wearing materials such as twill, cotton, canvas, etc allows you to beat up your clothes and often times they end up looking better

jaaz16

Reaction score
Yeah I had fallen out of love with workwear a couple years or so ago, but have come back to it recently for lots of the reasons listed here. It's nice to have interesting items that are meant to be really worn--as in, they look better if you don't baby them. In fact I'm wearing orSlow jeans, a Wythe flannel, and blunnies in my empty office right now.

At the same time, I find a full-on workwear wardrobe a bit stifling. I need variety, which is what has made this (fun!) prompt so challenging. I love a lot of the brands listed but they also almost all have strong POVs.

Ok all that said, and thinking about what has been noted already, if we're considering about troika's point about the next 5 years--and planning for what that might look like--I think Document is the most "I think that's what I might do" choice for me. The brand has really expanded its offerings, especially in terms of color, and I think you can anticipate more colors in the future. Fit is generous and silhouettes are very cool twists on the expected. It's just different enough to be interesting but not like "oh look at this bold pattern!" Now, if I never had any needs or desire to dress "smart," though, it'd be 18 East. I'm a total fanboy. There's some out-there stuff but I've been pleasantly surprised how seamlessly a lot of it integrates into a normie-adjacent aesthetic.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
@RegisDB9 - looks like you have another convert to the church of don't cage my junk.

1653589763884.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My initial choice would also be Margaret Howell as long as it includes MHL since I basically work in a factory. Fallback would be Mister Freedom or 2010-era Nigel Cabourn. Some part of me would love to dress in all Story MFG or Brain Dead, but I’m not sure from which parallel universe that comes.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Groilds new app design looks ass. Much preferred the marble design they had

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised to see Margiela twice. Would you guys go majority pre-2006 or current Margiela?

for me margiela represents fashion-as-device in a really elevated , humane way and i rather think galliano comes from the same place . having to choose i'd go pre- but i think it's been a good fit with galliano .

edit :

@Fuuma i'll add that i agree that the webcast has a good sound . i thought the voices were nice and real and the bumper music etc . production was fine .

what i mean about podcasts is i sort of want to be punched a bit . like , tell me how the leather jacket transformed you , convince me , don't just say a leather jacket is a transformative thing . this is expository and gets you to the interview etc ... but it's blah blah blah haha i tune out and mosey over to the swd music threak where my man reggae mike is giving me 3 min nectar . what to do ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads