• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ooh, yeah. With the exception of the wide-ass ties, that’d be good. (The Big Oxford!)

5FC6EE21-CE4A-42D0-AEC9-4C4BA1459BB4.jpeg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18 East!

i think I said Ralph Lauren or Engineered Garments last time this came up, and still wear a lot of both, but I get most excited to put on my 18 East stuff these days.

if I had more $$ or was a little more adventurous like I used to be I might say 4S Designs or Margiela.

I had a chance to see 4S in person at Today Clothing and I was very impressed with the details and quality of fabrics.

Some of the graphics weren't quite my speed, but I can see myself wearing the silhouettes for sure. Highly recommend peeps check them out irl, it hits different from online photos

deadbilly

Reaction score
Ok question that sparked some convos...

What brand would you wear, if you had to wear only one brand's clothing, for the next 5 years.
Nonnative lifelong. They throw a lot at the wall and are a bit derivative and just love to add too many zips but there is enough range for casual to semisemi formal. Lots of outerwear and footwear. Lots secondhand available. I think they are underrated.

Otherwise (a bit more costumey to my mind) I chose S.E.H Kelly or Margaret Howell or if I was being superbasic greyman techsucking: Outlier or Veilance.

Jobst

Reaction score
What brand would you wear, if you had to wear only one brand's clothing, for the next 5 years.

Oh man, with full access to the archives (and some mad discounts plz), Forme D. Having to touch other fabrics after the five years was up would be a real downer.

Really want to say Jan Jan, but I don't live the kind of life where I can get away with those looks all the time. Or even 10% of the time.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok question that sparked some convos...

This hypothetical excludes footwear and undergarments, and it leaves enough room with the timeline to experiment.

I've seen this question as a lifetime commitment and have it be head to toe, but then the answer is just always ralph.

Maybe I'm showing my age but compared to some of the answers here, I feel that the first thoughts that came to my mind (J. Press, LL Bean, or Ralph Lauren) are pretty d@mn boring! 😅

After giving it a bit more consideration and thinking of some of the other brands that I've been really happy with over the past few years, and who I actually get excited about new offerings from, I thought maybe I'd choose Kai D. Utility or Monitaly but ultimately decided on Wythe. The Wythe collections are small each season but I usually end up loving every item they put out so it would suit me just fine.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to see 4S in person at Today Clothing and I was very impressed with the details and quality of fabrics.

Some of the graphics weren't quite my speed, but I can see myself wearing the silhouettes for sure. Highly recommend peeps check them out irl, it hits different from online photos
Maybe I'm showing my age but compared to some of the answers here, I feel that the first thoughts that came to my mind (J. Press, LL Bean, or Ralph Lauren) are pretty d@mn boring! 😅

After giving it a bit more consideration and thinking of some of the other brands that I've been really happy with over the past few years, and who I actually get excited about new offerings from, I thought maybe I'd choose Kai D. Utility or Monitaly but ultimately decided on Wythe. The Wythe collections are small each season but I usually end up loving every item they put out so it would suit me just fine.
I know that this exercise is just for fun, but I’d worry about the smaller brands not having enough in the way of the basics that we wear daily.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ This. It’s why even though I chose MMM, I can totally see why folk chose Ralph, and in reality could even get more specific with RRL and have plenty of variety to consider. 🤷‍♂️

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that this exercise is just for fun, but I’d worry about the smaller brands not having enough in the way of the basics that we wear daily.

When you're like me and wear basically chinos and a chambray or OCBD shirt every. single. day. picking a tiny brand like Wythe isn't as much of a concern.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that whatever brand I chose had to at least have sweats. Sometimes I just feel like lounging in athleisure and need something to be active in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads