• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-+
Surprised to see Margiela twice. Would you guys go majority pre-2006 or current Margiela?
Pre, at least for me. It had a less polished look, more "cool grad student" look (not my phrasing, iirc, that was the description in Wallpaper or something) than it does now. Not everyone can be that dude on NCIS Miami, bro.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think my brand of choice for 5 years would be Monitaly, and I do feel like choosing megco would be cheating. It'd be a great way to spend my mid-30s, just bumming around in a very Japanese version of LA rose bowl finds.

Their work is unique enough to require a lot of their stuff to work, and they have a variety of silhouettes with which I can experiment.

Particularly thinking about how I'd do carrot trousers and giant outerwear all the time.

Oh yeah, that's probably a better choice than KS. They have a great selection. And if you get Chamula too it's a no-brainer...

Karlus72

Reaction score
blob.jpg

Finally got a "moto" jacket or whatever you wanna call this style. I dont think my personality goes with leather jackets that much, so this is perfect for me. FW07 D&G.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Your example of a not-dressed-to-make-a-point character is a character who dresses in a particular way to make a point - that he is North Hollywood Henry, chill dude from an "artsy" neighbourhood, as opposed to a Chechen thug. NoHo Hank thinks very much, and very obviously, about how he dresses - he is almost always the most colourful character in every scene he is in, and this is a decision the creators have the character make.

If you are looking for some passages on clothing and character, the first chapter of the first book of Broch's Sleepwalkers has some passages where Joachim considers how he feels in civilian clothes, and what it means to wear a uniform (this is technically an imagining of what another character would theorize about a uniform, and it's unclear whether this imagining is Joachim's own or that of the narrative voice, but that uncertainty is just how high modernism worked in them days). His clothes and how he wears them form an emotional key to his character, and his fussing with them in a specific way forms part of the emotional (anti-) climax of the book.

EDIT: word salad typos

Last edited:

domdomdomdom

Reaction score
I feel like there's a nextra something when a writer goes out of his way to write about a chracter's attire.

I do go over costuming as well, particularly in the context of The Royal Tenenbaums. But a writer going out of his way to describe the way a character is dressed when he doesn't have to shows a different type of intentionality.

The showrunners for... say, Barry, don't hire costumers to make a point, they hire costumers because they're making a TV show. The costumes are fine, but they never take focus because we're busy watching NoHo Hank do NoHo Hank things.

A writer has the option of not writing about the outfit, so when they do, it means more. Sometimes.

To add to @Reginald Bartholomew 's point, you really need to look at what the baseline is for describing clothing in writing as compared to what the baseline is for clothing in tv/film and then look at what taking extra care looks like in both writing and tv/film. You are probably correct in identifying that the baseline in writing might be no description at all, while in tv/film, there will always be some type of clothing. I wouldn't necessarily take that to mean that taking extra care to describe clothing in writing is inherently more powerful/meaningful than taking extra care in the wardrobing/costuming for tv/film. I read this more as you are not identifying that "extra something" when a costumer/show runner goes out of their way to meticulously dress a character.

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have a few pieces, but if forced it would be all MMM. Covers the entire gamut of both my real and fantasy existence… footwear included. Seriously, black tie to grungy rock n’ roll (with a little wear on it)… it’s all there and in spades.

Iskander

Reaction score
Where is good place to buy casual unpleated cotton trousers? I do not want to look like I'm going to the office or such.
I have seen many nice trousers at NMWA but almost every option pleated, which is not my preference.

Thanks in advance!

xeoniq

Reaction score
I always liked scanning recent purchase threads but reading through them feels very different from posting to them. Posting your recent purchases can feel at least a little bit like fishing for validation in the same way posting a picture of yourself can feel.

That's a good point. I'll try to be the change I want to see.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Daniel Hakimi what are some examples that you've found? Hopefully, it's not a thesis looking for validation, not trying to be rude, genuinely wondering.

@domdomdomdom I love the recent purchases thread cuz I get a chance to see what items folks have even though they don't show up in a fit. Really useful for sizing/impressions/purchase process.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok question that sparked some convos...

What brand would you wear, if you had to wear only one brand's clothing, for the next 5 years.

This hypothetical excludes footwear and undergarments, and it leaves enough room with the timeline to experiment.

I've seen this question as a lifetime commitment and have it be head to toe, but then the answer is just always ralph.

18 East!

i think I said Ralph Lauren or Engineered Garments last time this came up, and still wear a lot of both, but I get most excited to put on my 18 East stuff these days.

if I had more $$ or was a little more adventurous like I used to be I might say 4S Designs or Margiela.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone proposed Ralph Lauren as their One Brand? Even excepting purple label, black label and RRL, it still seems you could have all your bases covered — even cool shoes and accessories. (I’ve seen them, I swear).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads