• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I have modded out SAKs, both with scissors and bottle openers and a screwdriver head, the last of which is probably what I use most. One has a pocket clip, so I usually carry that when I am wearing jeans in my fifth pocket, along with a custom flashlight - The light and the screwdriver are the things I probably use most often. I like a small locking knife because I love my fingers.

someone stole my credit card bottle opener at the first sf trunk show. i miss that little thing :( it had a great weight

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever listened to it? Blamo has always been one of my favorite pods and ways to engage with style and menswear. Jeremy seems like one of the most cool and down to earth guys out there. I’ve never thought of his pod as American-centric specifically, esp with the slate of international guests he’s had on the show, though I’m also American so I’m sure that comes with a certain set of blinders to my worldview at times.

I had never listened to it. Just checking out the Standard and Strange one. It's not bad, The main things I have learned so far is that Jeremy at Standard and Strange @taylorstitch are related, that Jeremy must be a member of the forum, but he has never introduced himself (Please do) - or maybe he has at a meetup, and Neil sounds a lot like Eva Kuhle @Epaulet , and that the podcast sounds a lot like the one we'll have here hopefully this weekend, and that everyone basically learned internet marketing the same way - by learning from someone who learns from someone who learns from someone. Me, I learned by partnering Styleforum with Huddler and learning the business by just hanging out and seeing what people did in their jobs, being "mentored" by the people who ostensibly worked for us.

One thing that I know, but that you guys should also know, is that customer acquisition on something like Facebook is really, really, expensive.

Not sure that it's the medium for me - I like interactive media, like forums, (so, I am more open to say, Reddit, where I very rarely post something about BJJ, than to Instagram) - but I can see the appeal.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever listened to it? Blamo has always been one of my favorite pods and ways to engage with style and menswear. Jeremy seems like one of the most cool and down to earth guys out there. I’ve never thought of his pod as American-centric specifically, esp with the slate of international guests he’s had on the show, though I’m also American so I’m sure that comes with a certain set of blinders to my worldview at times.

I'm sure it's great, I'm just going by the copy. I rarely listen to podcasts anyway, and listening to one about style would be some kind of special hell for me. We're all different, right?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's great, I'm just going by the copy. I rarely listen to podcasts anyway, and listening to one about style would be some kind of special hell for me. We're all different, right?

Man, I have to be honest, you couldn't be more far off. But also like, keep not listening to it? Not sure what to tell you.

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Wasn't Grant Stone started by someone who used to work for Alden?

I'm not sure, but makes sense based on their lineup.

What aspects of comparison? For one thing, GS are lined, I believe most of the snuff suede alden lhs are unlined.

I own many examples of both loafers and I'd say the quality is almost identical in construction and suede. Aldens have a slimmer profile and the flex welt is unimpeachable

I was mostly looking for quality comparison, so that helps. Thanks!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I have to be honest, you couldn't be more far off. But also like, keep not listening to it? Not sure what to tell you.
I haven't listened to much of it, but for me, it's not so much the subject and tone, but the format. I do listen to some podcasts, but more often, have some show playing in the background. The podcasts I listen to are in the vein of the NPR Pop Culture podcast, or sometimes the Economist or the various NYTimes political roundups.

For me, at least, is that I'm much more interested in a dialogue than a presentation, generally speaking. I've never read blogs, except to find out specific piees of information, and I find instagram extremely boring. The only thing that I use it for is to be aware of new tricks and defenses in jiujitsu so that I don't get inadvertently get buggy choked because I've never seen it coming, and so I can do it to my training partners.

That said, I could certainly recommend Blamo to people who enjoy podcasts in this specific niche of menswear. I know that a lot of people listen on commutes, for example.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tbh I rarely see @FlyingMonkey post anything positive so I get it.

I listened to blamo! when it was free, but didn't enjoy it enough to sign up for Patreon when he went that route. I like Jeremy fine but am only interested in a small percentage of the guests and didn't find it interesting enough to listen to the eps where the guests aren't my thing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we not posting on styleforum???
Forum participation and listening to a podcast are profounding different ways in which to engage a subject. Just because one is interested in fashion and style, doesn't mean that one will enjoy all things fashion and style.

Honestly, I'm a forumhead. I like this long form format, and I like the flat conversation. For even related media, some of it moves too fast for me, and some of it is too hierchical in structure.

I'm not really about slamming one thing just because you don't find it personally appealing.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tbh I rarely see @FlyingMonkey post anything positive so I get it.

I listened to blamo! when it was free, but didn't enjoy it enough to sign up for Patreon when he went that route. I like Jeremy fine but am only interested in a small percentage of the guests and didn't find it interesting enough to listen to the eps where the guests aren't my thing.

i like how this poast side-eyes an earnest opinion but then basically agrees .

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I rarely see @FlyingMonkey post anything positive

Really? Just because I don't have the American over-enthusiasm for things, and I am generally in favour of a very different kind of society to the one we live in, does not mean I am not positive about stuff I like (go check the Reading Challenge thread or the Scent thread or any number of other threads I've contributed to here). The point here is, as @LA Guy astutely observed, there's a very different feeling to being engaged in a forum and listening to a podcast. I like the ethos of the webforum, and I am sad that it seems to be declining as a form, and I really don't enjoy listening to people talk about style. This isn't a bad take or a matter of being "far off" or negative – it's simply a personal preference. And I would rather that Derek was back here contributing and being engaged (just ignoring the green oxford folk)...

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@double00 yeah maybe but I feel like there’s a difference between “this concept sounds like crap, also I’ve never listened to it”, and the actual reasons I wrote.

@FlyingMonkey I don’t know why you keep being up not being American? I’m not American either. And I’m sure there is stuff you like and post positively about but in the threads that we overlap on I rarely ever see you post anything positive and it’s overwhelmingly dismissive and condescending.

as for the reasons you just posted- that all makes sense. If you’d posted that in first place I’d never have even mentioned anything. Instead you just posted something very dismissive that comes off like a jerk.

considering how much smaller the forum is now and how much participation has declined, I surely can’t be the only one that has noticed this about your posts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads