• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

jmiller123

Reaction score
Interesting article on Valetmag today written by FE Castleberry about finding a uniform through consistent wear and finding tweaks and refinements over time. I find myself doing this subconsciously by wearing in a pair of jeans or shoes for roughly a week at a time through convenience in the morning and swapping out tops and jackets. Then, when going out- I already know what I prefer to wear together and what I think looks best.

IMG_7993.jpg
IMG_8010.jpg
IMG_8053.jpg

Recently I have been leaning into more western style fits and playing around with those.

Whether it is a singular item or a set of pieces, do you all have something you come back to time and time again?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether it is a singular item or a set of pieces, do you all have something you come back to time and time again?

I almost never wear the same thing item two days in a row or even twice in the same week. I do, however, have combinations of things that I almost always wear together - particular colour turtlenecks go with particular set-us, and one specific example is a pair of chestnut-brown cords that I only wear with one of three flannel shirts (two are red-based and one is mustard), and two sweaters (in yellow or burgundy). Occasionally, I will try to experiment by wearing these cords with other pieces and it almost never feels right...

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost never wear the same thing item two days in a row or even twice in the same week. I do, however, have combinations of things that I almost always wear together - particular colour turtlenecks go with particular set-us, and one specific example is a pair of chestnut-brown cords that I only wear with one of three flannel shirts (two are red-based and one is mustard), and two sweaters (in yellow or burgundy). Occasionally, I will try to experiment by wearing these cords with other pieces and it almost never feels right...
Try still by hand fatigue cords man. They‘re incredible

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleaned my GATs after a long time of them getting grimy. Here’s a before and after. I’ve got some white saphir polish on the way for some of the cracking in the leather; I’m fine with the general look of age on these shoes (they are over half a decade old at this point) but I would like them to last as long as I can have them last. Maybe I’ll take them to a shoe repair to sew that tear closed

ECDB3551-A846-4D68-ABB6-3310B37A6F81.jpeg

1F6946E8-E0F6-470D-AE30-D3AF6B4C4218.jpeg

Last edited:

Racing Green

Reaction score
What are peoples favorite affordable, yet still cool brands?

Affordable meaning you can buy a shirt or pants for <$200, cool means it’s not just basics like tshirts.

I’ll start:
18 East
Adsum
Tres Bien Everywhere
Gramicci
Portuguese Flannel
Stussy
Corridor

Some great suggestions already made, I'd add Japan Blue for decent Japanese denim at a more affordable price than most other brands. Also Power House for Japanese-made work wear.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting article on Valetmag today written by FE Castleberry about finding a uniform through consistent wear and finding tweaks and refinements over time. I find myself doing this subconsciously by wearing in a pair of jeans or shoes for roughly a week at a time through convenience in the morning and swapping out tops and jackets. Then, when going out- I already know what I prefer to wear together and what I think looks best.

View attachment 1742871 View attachment 1742872 View attachment 1742873

Recently I have been leaning into more western style fits and playing around with those.

Now that I primarily work from home, I do the same thing: I wear the same jeans, overshirt, and boots or shoes for roughly a week. I just swap out which shirt I'm wearing. Today is my first day back in my office in over 2 weeks so I did take a break from the at-home uniform but I'll be back to it tomorrow. And, FWIW, there are only a few people in the office and we're closed to the public now anyway so I probably could have just wore the jeans again...

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score

View attachment 1742871 View attachment 1742872 View attachment 1742873

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the read.

This is interesting to me because I do the opposite, especially during summer. I'll often wear jeans, some nice boots and a white tee, and I'll swap one or two pieces the next day to something similar. Jeans in a different color, boots in a different material or a patterned shirt instead of a tee. Maybe whip out a different leather jacket etc.

I don't like having things in my closet that I only wear with specific other pieces each time and I'll often sell these items. Of course there are some things I keep simply because they're too special or cool to get rid of.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned my GATs after a long time of them getting grimy. Here’s a before and after. I’ve got some white saphir polish on the way for some of the cracking in the leather; I’m fine with the general look of age on these shoes (they are over half a decade old at this point) but I would like them to last as long as I can have them last. Maybe I’ll take them to a shoe repair to sew that tear closed

View attachment 1742968
View attachment 1742969

For years I've tossed my white leather or synthetic/leather combo sneakers into the washing machine with soap and a bit of bleach (along with a white towel or two) and then air dried them. Remove the shoe strings and toss them in the wash as well. Remove the inner sole when you air dry.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can spend a lot on boots but for some reason I refuse to spend much on sneakers.

I have the Adidas “GATs” (they made them in black too). Nicer/softer leather than my Stans below

29-05-2017_adidas_bwarmy_whitegum_bz0579_th_1.jpg

Stan Smith gum sole:

adidas-originals-stan-smith-gum-sole.jpg

Reebok NPCII. I’ve fancied these since I was a kid. I like the shape better than the Stans, but branding is more obvious:

NPC_II_Blanco_1354_01_standard.jpg

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my purchase goal for 2022 is to get a RRL hand knit cardigan. I won’t pay retail though, esp. being in Europe (more expensive). There’s this small shop in Europe that has one from at least 2 seasons ago (if not more) in my size but with zero discount.

Would it be in bad taste asking whether they’d consider making a discount, being an older item sitting there for a good while?

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
So my purchase goal for 2022 is to get a RRL hand knit cardigan. I won’t pay retail though, esp. being in Europe (more expensive). There’s this small shop in Europe that has one from at least 2 seasons ago (if not more) in my size but with zero discount.

Would it be in bad taste whether they’d consider making a discount, being an older item sitting there for a good while?

Why not ask?

Isn't RRL produced in mass numbers meaning that new with tags and almost new second hand would also be options if you cannot find it in a store?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to do hand knits in mass numbers , but agree why not try to swing a deal

anyways a lot of the Polo hand knits are really great too i'd poke around and see if anything hits

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not ask?

Isn't RRL produced in mass numbers meaning that new with tags and almost new second hand would also be options if you cannot find it in a store?
Sorry I edited my message, I meant whether asking would be in bad taste.

Problem with second hand is that there doesn’t seem to be a big market for RRL in Europe, and here in Spain I would get slapped with a 40 or 45% surcharge bill in taxes and duties importing from outside the EU.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads