• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does buying EG Bedford and EG pants in same fabric count as suit

I'd call that a 'set-up', which is a term I've mainly seen used in Japan, although by some stores and sites in the west too (there's a little more definitional detail in the new thread).

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, are there any SWD guys who like and wear tailored clothing, but just don't go to CM because they don't like that side of the forum? If so, does your taste in tailored clothing run traditional/ CM-ish or is it more SWD-ish?

Would it make sense to have an SWD thread on tailored clothing? Is there even a way to discuss this topic? Seems like every brand offers some version of a tailored jacket, depending on how you define "tailoring"
This resonates with me. I like tailored clothes, maybe somewhat traditional, but this side of the forum is where I spend my time on SF

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Old Towns "plains" as my (almost) one pant. High rise, slightly tapered, fairly wide but with a normal/flattering top block. The cut goes with everything. I have them in black canvas, cord, denim, and Irish linen. I even wore a pair (in linen) for my wedding a couple of years ago.
I'd really like to try a pair of these. If there's one thing that has become certain, it's that I strongly prefer a full cut trouser. I've started making my own, but heavier fabrics like cord and moleskin are a little trickier. I wish Old Town posted measurements, though.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zissou With you on the full cut life. What makes it trickier with heavier fabrics? Sturdier construction needed?

I was surprised by the absence of meaurements @ Old Town, could've sworn there used to be charts. I'd be curious to know the leg opening of the 'plains' if you get a chance @Superb0bo

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pattern trousers for ~10-12oz denim/chino, typically. Working with a heavier fabric usually requires grading the pattern a little larger so they fit the same, and it is a little trickier with the thread tensions for the machines. Heavier fabrics don't drape as easily, so there is more likelihood that something could look off if the pattern is inaccurate.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I was surprised by the absence of meaurements @ Old Town, could've sworn there used to be charts. I'd be curious to know the leg opening of the 'plains' if you get a chance @Superb0bo
Same here… but, from the website:
Please be aware that new customers wishing to place an order will need to visit the workshop and try a sample to ensure the correct fit. We are able to do sleeve and trousers to length. Appointments are available on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Seems like things have changed?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like things have changed?

They've also cut back in terms of the numbers of different models of jackets they offer. But it seems bizarre if they are suffering in the pandemic to demand in-person ordering. Who the hell, even in the UK, is going to trek all the way out to where they are? Maybe they can't meet demand and they don't want more customers (especially since this all doesn't seem to apply to Japanese orders - they have a special rep in Kyoto now).

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've also cut back in terms of the numbers of different models of jackets they offer. But it seems bizarre if they are suffering in the pandemic to demand in-person ordering. Who the hell, even in the UK, is going to trek all the way out to where they are? Maybe they can't meet demand and they don't want more customers (especially since this all doesn't seem to apply to Japanese orders - they have a special rep in Kyoto now).

Yea, as I understand it, they are generally downsizing since several of their seamstresses retired (and apparently no new ones are to be found in the area). I regret not getting some of the now discontinued jacket styles. And there are multiple styles from their archives that Id love to see made again.

To the best of my knowledge, they never had any measurements online, and don't expect too detailed info if you email either. It's just one lovely lady doing all email orders and correspondence.

Generally, I feel like the things fit as you would expect, and I pretty much take my regular size in everything (except the pull-over shirt where I size up, my regular size was too tight in the shoulders).

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah im in the UK and like the look of plains. might call and see if i can skip the visit, im a pretty regular size. i too would be interested to know the leg opening measurement, if anyone gets a chance...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, as I understand it, they are generally downsizing since several of their seamstresses retired (and apparently no new ones are to be found in the area). I regret not getting some of the now discontinued jacket styles. And there are multiple styles from their archives that Id love to see made again.

It's not surprising really: their model is actually an early industrial revolution model (sent-out piece-work), which was predominant before the factory system, so it's rather anachronistic. If they'd wanted to revive this or make it sustainable, they would probably have needed other firms to set up in the same area working on a similar basis so that the piece-workers, small factories and all the different firms become interdependent (that's the 'Third Italy' model lauded by many advocates of 'local / endogenous development.' And they might have thought about investing in training the next generation of seamstresses - they've been around long enough. But they don't seem to have thought about that, just relying on that fact that they'd found an area with a few older women with sewing skills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics