• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in this, but wouldn’t this be or couldnt this be part of already existing threads?

I have some traditional CM left, Steed navy suit, a few sport coats, a few of my best fitting trousers, around 5 ties, a couple pairs of dress shoes, after selling a bunch during the pandemic and moving from a law firm to a tech company. If I were to dress up for something nowadays and bought tailored stuff for that, I think it would be more SWD ish. Not sure if this is what you’re thinking of, but at the end of last year I got a tailored cord jacket matching easy pants from Document. I don’t know where I would go in the Bay Area where I would dress up in a formal CM suit, and less likely a casual CM suit or sport jacket. I haven’t thought too much about it since I still don’t really go anywhere except to get takeout or take the kids to some outdoor area. Maybe I would get a CM happy suit for going out someplace but I would probably also look at what I think you’re describing.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, are there any SWD guys who like and wear tailored clothing, but just don't go to CM because they don't like that side of the forum? If so, does your taste in tailored clothing run traditional/ CM-ish or is it more SWD-ish?

Would it make sense to have an SWD thread on tailored clothing? Is there even a way to discuss this topic? Seems like every brand offers some version of a tailored jacket, depending on how you define "tailoring"

I wear CM suits exclusively when walking the streets and going out and that in relaxed non-CM way. No tie, ps sometimes for fun, mostly with polo or rollneck instead of shirt, often even with sneakers or some boots, in summer mostly without socks. Even stuff like opera, ballet or classical music concert (watching, not performing :) ) I feel much better without all the traditional stuff.
But, I do like suits. If I wear SC, it's usually with jeans, not with dress trousers.
I don't know... there is just something about a suit...
On CM side, it's a lot of rules and dogmas, some bubble of dos and donts that just does not resonate with me. Too much browns and greens and country-ish styles... etc etc

I'm not sure there is a way to discuss the topic. Try...

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not fashion but I know D2C comes up here and this one was a weird headcratcher, something just doesn't make sense here: https://members.shopmove.co/products/the-essential-aluminum-carry-on#sold-at-cost
image (2).png

edit: oh wtf it's like a membership thing, is this like an Italic clone or something, ugh I hate this model.
edit2: pretty sure it's just a scam site lol, nvm.

Last edited:

jaaz16

Reaction score
Curious, are there any SWD guys who like and wear tailored clothing, but just don't go to CM because they don't like that side of the forum? If so, does your taste in tailored clothing run traditional/ CM-ish or is it more SWD-ish?

Would it make sense to have an SWD thread on tailored clothing? Is there even a way to discuss this topic? Seems like every brand offers some version of a tailored jacket, depending on how you define "tailoring"

I’d lurk for sure and maybe even chime in occasionally. But I will say that anytime I consider dipping more into tailoring myself I get a rush of anxiety. Something about getting measurements just right and buying cloth and bespoke and the cost of all that is just not super appealing. I like this side of the forum so much better because there’s more flexibility in fit; doesn’t have to be just right or fall exactly the same way. The leather jacket thread (where I also lurk occasionally) is a good example: they almost look wrong when they’re too perfect.

Wasn’t there a thread from a while back that was focused on soft tailoring? I just remember there being a lot of Stoffa pics. I think it was around the time of the whole “oxfords with chinos” kerfluffle.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sort of do. I think I'm a SWD guy that also happens to really like the stuffier side of traditional tailoring. I'm rarely completely on board with the way the stuff is worn on the other side so I'd like to think there's some droplets of SWD sensibility left in the way I personally approach it but that's probably at least xx% self delusion.

I enjoy browsing CM but I can't deal with all the fussiness and nitpicks (to me) which almost invariably seem to focus on the wrong things, lots of missing the forest for the trees (again, to me). I also think the perfect fit is a spectrum and it's costumes all the way down so many of the usual hang ups seem completely irrelevant. If nothing else I'd say that's where the SWDness kicks in.

Maybe paradoxically, I don't really care for the casual unstructured stuff (Boglioli etc) or designer tailoring and I don't like paring tailoring with jeans or tees or sneakers. I don't mind mixing classic tailoring with SWD items if it works (big pants etc) though.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’d definitely be interested in this. I can’t do the CM side, it’s just too much. I posted a suit fit question on the SWD side (in this thread I think?) some months ago just because the CM side gives me too much stress.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score

Maybe a thread about mixing tailored clothing in with street wear or casual tailoring. I just bought a sport coat I am hoping to mix into my regular rotation.

Plus, isn't SEH Kelly just tailored clothing for the SWD side? I hope to buy more SEHK this year, great stuff.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Hey, do you guys remember?

This one time I bought a vintage 1980s YSL suit on ebay for fun. It had strong shoulder padding, a low gorge, low button stance, long length, flared skirt, and wide-legged trousers. I went to the CM side of the forum to ask for advice on how I should get it tailored and what followed was 20+ pages of groupthink posturing about how I needed to buy a soft-shouldered Neopolitan-style suit instead, and when I finally made it clear that I wasn't actually asking about how to make my 1980s YSL ebay find fit into a corporate environment, they all just went quiet or said "well we don't have any idea what to tell you then."

Good times.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, I started a thread. The "prompt" is pretty loose, and I'm happy to just have it be a loose space that develops organically, depending on how people see fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads