• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
but in CM, anything new is a no-no
my beater SC

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beat a pair of AM 90 Infrared into and beyond the grave. Put them in the closet and forgot about them. One of my nephews came over during the holidays and found them and asked if he could have them. I told him he wouldn't get to the front door before the sole fell off. Sure enough, the sole done crumbled to dust after a couple steps. He still wanted them, lol.
I think a beat pair of Jordan 1's can look good. Only 1's though. AF1, not so much but I don't hate them well worn either. For some reason, I prefer my chucks clean af. I won't wear dirty chucks.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beat a pair of AM 90 Infrared into and beyond the grave. Put them in the closet and forgot about them. One of my nephews came over during the holidays and found them and asked if he could have them. I told him he wouldn't get to the front door before the sole fell off. Sure enough, the sole done crumbled to dust after a couple steps. He still wanted them, lol.
I think a beat pair of Jordan 1's can look good. Only 1's though. AF1, not so much but I don't hate them well worn either. For some reason, I prefer my chucks clean af. I won't wear dirty chucks.
My previous OG chucks always had some cracking and separation at the soles after a while. I wonder if the Chuck 70s do better w/ that.

I also like my chucks kinda worn in. Clean chucks look weird to me personally.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My previous OG chucks always had some cracking and separation at the soles after a while. I wonder if the Chuck 70s do better w/ that.

I also like my chucks kinda worn in. Clean chucks look weird to me personally.

my pair of 70s these do have some miles

IMGP6482.JPG

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chuck 70s are definitely made of harder wearing materials. My last pair of regular Chucks actually had a tear in the Canvas that I had to sew back together.

I'm a little disappointed they discontinued the Chuck II line. I really liked the idea of the gusseted tongue but wasn't huge on the colorways they released.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fedex tracking: Your package will arrive Thursday.
Me: ?
Fedex tracking: Actually Wednesday, early!
Fedex tracking (on Wednesday): Pending...
Fedex tracking (on Friday): Your package is out for delivery.

current state and location of package

1642803069155.png

blacklight

Reaction score

1s and 3s are great beater choices because of the shape of the toeboxes and the tumbled leather. Anything suede (e.g. 4s) or patent leather (11s) very quickly starts to look like garbage. GATs are OK well worn but the whole having dirt caked in and the shoelaces tattered look is a nah from me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious, are there any SWD guys who like and wear tailored clothing, but just don't go to CM because they don't like that side of the forum? If so, does your taste in tailored clothing run traditional/ CM-ish or is it more SWD-ish?

Would it make sense to have an SWD thread on tailored clothing? Is there even a way to discuss this topic? Seems like every brand offers some version of a tailored jacket, depending on how you define "tailoring"

YoungM

Reaction score
Curious, are there any SWD guys who like and wear tailored clothing, but just don't go to CM because they don't like that side of the forum? If so, does your taste in tailored clothing run traditional/ CM-ish or is it more SWD-ish?

Would it make sense to have an SWD thread on tailored clothing? Is there even a way to discuss this topic? Seems like every brand offers some version of a tailored jacket, depending on how you define "tailoring"

I was just thinking about something similar after reading some of the Crompton pocket square thread, which reminded me of a comment about the WAYWT Top 100 being basically a NMWA ad.

Ironically, despite all the furor around the pandemic killing off the suit, it feels like big swaths of streetwear are embracing items of clothing that, eight or ten years ago, I would have thought were distinctly old-fashioned. Some of this may be colored by my own viewpoint - I'm closing in on thirty, and finally settling into a more traditional white-collar career. However, it feels like it hasn't been this natural, easy, and comfortable to wear a sport coat or pleated trousers as a young guy.

It feels like it's permeated through a variety of "genres," from the sultry Lemaire stuff to the understated luxury of Stoffa to ALD and Drake's. Some of this feels related to 90s (or late 80s?) revivalism - I've been watching Seinfeld for the first time, and it is genuinely surprising how often I see a Jerry fit and think "I would happily wear that".

Obviously, I know brands have been making blazers forever, so I'm curious if others feel this way. Having spent much of the early and mid 2010s primarily interested in avant-garde stuff, this has been a really enjoyable change of pace, even if I feel less confident in putting together, say, sportcoat and trouser combos. For that, Die!Workwear has been invaluable.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've have a troubled history with tailored clothing and have moved toward and away it many times over. Recently I've turned back toward it, but keep myself fairly grounded in, I guess, SWD, but really just boring casual. So, for example, I have a bunch of Gitman BDs as opposed to a closet of Charvet, and I'm more likely to tuck them into jeans or nice cords than I am to wear slacks, although I have recently been mixing it up with very high-rise cotton trousers (from Stoffa and another pair I just got from Berg & Berg). As of today I only own two sport coats that really fit me, both recently picked up from Armoury/Drop 93 and one's a Summer jacket. So then it's a matter of sweaters and layering. For shoes I'm wearing Aldens, some kind of loafer or maybe CPs.

In fact, my dress style these days is pretty heavily informed by Frans Boone's take on tailoring, which is relatively casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads