• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, do folks around here have any preferences for beater sneakers? I have MM GATs and several other pairs of fancy sneakers but they never feel appropriate for things like walking to the grocery store. Meanwhile I have a pair of Sambas that I've worn a hole in the sole of. I've leaned towards simple white sneakers like that but it seems like they've become kind of a meme. I do enjoy their "throw them on without having to think about them" quality, but maybe some variety would be nice.

And actually, I was browsing through Adidas' site, and noticed that their Samba stock is super low. I wonder if they're planning on taking them off the market and doing a relaunch, like they did with the Stan Smiths.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, do folks around here have any preferences for beater sneakers? I have MM GATs and several other pairs of fancy sneakers but they never feel appropriate for things like walking to the grocery store. Meanwhile I have a pair of Sambas that I've worn a hole in the sole of. I've leaned towards simple white sneakers like that but it seems like they've become kind of a meme. I do enjoy their "throw them on without having to think about them" quality, but maybe some variety would be nice.

And actually, I was browsing through Adidas' site, and noticed that their Samba stock is super low. I wonder if they're planning on taking them off the market and doing a relaunch, like they did with the Stan Smiths.

I really like Novesta Star Master and Dribble (low top and high top). Super comfy, versatile, and pretty cheap

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, do folks around here have any preferences for beater sneakers?

I genuinely do not understand the 'beater' anything idea, except if you are actually talking about using something for serious manual labour where it's actually going to get beaten up. If you aren't wearing the clothes and shoes you have for everyday life, what's the point in having any of it? Plus, MM Gats? You know they are expensive but no-one else does, and you'd have to walk to the store thousands of times to get anywhere near wearing them out.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really answering your question, but my vote is to just wear the sneakers you like and not bother with “beater” things. I’ve bought a few things in the past I wanted to use as “beaters” and I always ended up regretting the purchase as I didn’t like them as much as the purchases I really cared for. I found that I intrinsically didn’t value them and it felt like a waste to keep clothes and accessories in my closet. That being said, nothing wrong with a cheaper pair of sneakers. I’ve been considering getting another pair of chucks after leaving the style for many years.

edit - Monkey beat me to it (above). Guess we were typing at the same time.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I genuinely do not understand the 'beater' anything idea, except if you are actually talking about using something for serious manual labour where it's actually going to get beaten up. If you aren't wearing the clothes and shoes you have for everyday life, what's the point in having any of it? Plus, MM Gats? You know they are expensive but no-one else does, and you'd have to walk to the store thousands of times to get anywhere near wearing them out.

I don't know, it's a combination of wanting to keep nicer stuff looking nice, and not wanting to think too hard about how I look before I do certain menial tasks. If I'm going to be trudging through dirty snow or riding my bike I don't really want to wear a pair of sneakers that I'd prefer to keep looking crisp. And when I need to grab a quick lunch between meetings I just want to throw something easy and low-key on. For that matter, I have a cat with a tendency to chew on things, and I'd like to have a pair that I'm not worried about hiding away in the closet where he can't get at it between every wear. I can also say that I have worn down 3 pairs of sneakers to the point of needing replaced in the last 7 years or so. So, for me, having a "don't worry about it" pair of shoes just gives me peace of mind.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really answering your question, but my vote is to just wear the sneakers you like and not bother with “beater” things. I’ve bought a few things in the past I wanted to use as “beaters” and I always ended up regretting the purchase as I didn’t like them as much as the purchases I really cared for. I found that I intrinsically didn’t value them and it felt like a waste to keep clothes and accessories in my closet. That being said, nothing wrong with a cheaper pair of sneakers. I’ve been considering getting another pair of chucks after leaving the style for many years.

edit - Monkey beat me to it (above). Guess we were typing at the same time.
I don't know, it's a combination of wanting to keep nicer stuff looking nice, and not wanting to think too hard about how I look before I do certain menial tasks. If I'm going to be trudging through dirty snow or riding my bike I don't really want to wear a pair of sneakers that I'd prefer to keep looking crisp. And when I need to grab a quick lunch between meetings I just want to throw something easy and low-key on. For that matter, I have a cat with a tendency to chew on things, and I'd like to have a pair that I'm not worried about hiding away in the closet where he can't get at it between every wear. I can also say that I have worn down 3 pairs of sneakers to the point of needing replaced in the last 7 years or so. So, for me, having a "don't worry about it" pair of shoes just gives me peace of mind.

to resonate on what @FlyingMonkey and @d4nimal stated.

Wear your things don't let them pile dust in the closet. My rotation is big enough where I haven't worn out a pair of sneaker sin years that doesn't mean they are new but they are also not "beat." However, I do take care of my things so I clean my footwear that usually keeps most things crisp.

I recommend just having multiple pairs of things and rotating.

FWIW, Nike dunks by my door to slip on fast, RO Ramones are my go to sneakers.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was recently looking at Nike's Waffle Ones as broke boi Sacais. You can find them for $100 or a little less on sale. Otherwise, I think all the classics are cheap-ish -- Chuck 70s, Air Force 1s, Superga 1705, etc

waffle-one-shoes-wghttd.jpeg

jaaz16

Reaction score
I use Timberland 3 Eye lug, clark wallabees, and an older pair of New Balance 998 for beaters. I wouldn't buy something with the intent that they'd be my beaters. Like someone said above, when that happens, I usually don't like it as much so it's just a waste of money.

Pretty much exact same: Simple NBs, timb 3-eyes, and birk bostons are my go-to for putzing around. Plus Vans slip ons in the summer. I'm kind of anti-all white AF1s (no disrespect to those who wear them!) in part because I grew up in a place heavily influence by NYC fashion/culture from the 90s/early 00s but now live in a place where AF1s are worn by every 3rd woman as their go-to "frat shoe" (white shoes you intentionally get dirty partying in frat house basements), and the dissonance is too much for me.

I'm also pro "just wear your nice shoes."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I think Margiela GATs look better thrashed. Back in the day, some of the best fits on here were people wearing thrashed CP Achilles and various forms of GATs. Those shoes look a lot better to me when they look like they've been heavily worn and put through a lot.

kevenmee

Reaction score

Basically what everybody else said but the shoes I wear with lazy fits:
  • MM Gats low top
  • MM Gats high top (the triple velcro)
  • AM 90s Infrared
  • Nike Sakai Clot (waffle)
My Gats are pretty beat but they've been around for like 5-6 years. Notably, I own way too many shoes/boots/etc for anything to actually get destroyed.

On the less expensive scale, used to have the JCrew kill shots, but lost them in a move like 4 years back. Did feel a little basic, but they were super versatile. Also used to love the ultra boost, but quality has gone downhill from when they first released.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Basically what everybody else said but the shoes I wear with lazy fits:
  • MM Gats low top
  • MM Gats high top (the triple velcro)
  • AM 90s Infrared
  • Nike Sakai Clot (waffle)
My Gats are pretty beat but they've been around for like 5-6 years. Notably, I own way too many shoes/boots/etc for anything to actually get destroyed.

On the less expensive scale, used to have the JCrew kill shots, but lost them in a move like 4 years back. Did feel a little basic, but they were super versatile. Also used to love the ultra boost, but quality has gone downhill from when they first released.
I had a pair of Killshots that I wore once and then sold after receiving too many knowing looks from guys wearing OCBD's.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: beaters - I don’t think they have to be cheap, I just think they have to be durable and look decent with some wear on them. My “beater”/everyday watch is the most expensive one I own, but it’s also the toughest.

I have no problem doing yard work or going fishing in a RRL shirt.

Just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it can’t be a beater. But I guess if I was buying stuff and was afraid to wear it I would wonder if I should’ve bought it in the first place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads